Closet Shelving - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Closet Shelving

I'm not ready to put in permanent shelving in the closet to my 79 13 foot Boler but wanted something I could use in the meantime that was cheap and light weight. I found these at Home Depot for $4.98 each:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Organize...1945/306330222

They barely fit into the closet but with a little finagling, voila! Shelves!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181229_162914.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	126966
You can see the top shelf is just a little bowed, that's how tight it was.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Looks good I put 2 ladder bracket on each side of the inside wall, held in with rivets and made shelves with a lip on the front so things wont roll out when you open the door. Shelve can be adjusted to height needed or taken right out.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

I did the same in our Scamp- plastic bins from Big Lots. I like them better than shelves and have no plans to change. They fit very snugly like yours and latch together so they won't come apart on a rough road. To get them in I had to nest them at the bottom of the closet and stack them in place.

Name:	Closet Mod 5.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	126982Click image for larger version

Name:	Closet bins.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	126981

I do plan to put a false bottom in the closet and raise the bins to make the bottom one more accessible, and then cut a second door under the false bottom. Currently the odd-shaped space under the bins is inaccessible.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #4

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

I did the same in our Scamp- plastic bins from Big Lots. I like them better than shelves and have no plans to change. They fit very snugly like yours and latch together so they won't come apart on a rough road. To get them in I had to nest them at the bottom of the closet and stack them in place.
Attachment 126982Attachment 126981

I do plan to put a false bottom in the closet and raise the bins to make the bottom one more accessible, and then cut a second door under the false bottom. Currently the odd-shaped space under the bins is inaccessible.
Great mod, Jon. I'll be heading to Big Lots tomorrow and hope they have them in stock.

Do the tension rods stay in place while on the road or have you had them jiggle loose? I'm guessing the rods were needed to make up for a gap between the bins and the front of the closet.

I'm not sure how you nested them in the bottom to then be able to put them in place but if I can find them, I'll make it work.

As I try to work out the best way to put shelves in the closet (thanks to you both in this thread for solving that) I'm also considering cutting a door in that bottom space. I'm trying to figure out it that will cause any structural problems.
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #5

Illinois
Thanks to Alex for starting this thread.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLDK View Post
Great mod, Jon. I'll be heading to Big Lots tomorrow and hope they have them in stock.
Thanks! I had to do some looking to find just the right size. I carried a slip of paper with the width and depth of the Scamp closet in my wallet for a while before I found these.

Quote:
Do the tension rods stay in place while on the road or have you had them jiggle loose? I'm guessing the rods were needed to make up for a gap between the bins and the front of the closet.
Sharp eye! They were for stabilization but turned out to be unnecessary (the top is very snug), so I later removed them. However, there is one you can't see behind the bottom bin that keeps it pushed tightly against the front, needed because the closet is deeper at the bottom than the top due to the curvature of the shell. I ziptied the rod to the bin, and it has stayed in place for four seasons without issue.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you nested them in the bottom to then be able to put them in place but if I can find them, I'll make it work.
Easier to do than to explain. I put them in the closet, one at a time, sideways, then turned and nested them together at the bottom. Once they were all inside and working from the bottom up, I raised them and snapped them together as you see.

Quote:
As I try to work out the best way to put shelves in the closet (thanks to you both in this thread for solving that) I'm also considering cutting a door in that bottom space. I'm trying to figure out it that will cause any structural problems.
No problem as long as: (1) don't cut too close to the corners- that's where the strength is, and (2) don't cut through the pieces of wood that reinforce the cabinet- you can see/feel them as thicker spots on the inside of the fiberglass. One runs horizontally under the door in mine, so I'll cut the new door below that.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #7

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We did the same thing with the bins in our Scamp 13. We found the correct sizing at the Container store. Like Jon, I carried a slip of paper around with me everywhere I went so I was always looking! They worked perfectly for us as we used them for clothing and it allowed each person one bin. I'm still trying to figure out clothing storage in our Scamp 16 LO 7 as all of that great closet space isn't there!

Name:	Closet.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	126988
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I guess those bins would work OK, as in better than nothing, but the downside is that you are really giving up a lot of precious storage area down on the bottom of the closet, or else making it more difficult to get to at the very least.

I know some may not want to undertake this mod, but it has worked out well for me. It did require relocating the outlet in the middle of the bottom area. I had to move it off the the side in order to make the new lower cut-out and to mount the new lower door. I also installed a "floor" in the closet at the height of the bottom edge of the large door, so now it is effectively two independent storage areas. May not be what some want, but I just thought I'd throw it out there to add additional ideas. When I relocated the lower outlet, I also added another one up near the top. My wife likes this one for plugging her hair appliances into while using the big bathroom door mirror, and I don't have to trip over cords being run from under the dinette table.
Attached Thumbnails
newlockerdoor.jpg   newlocker.jpg  

closet1.JPG   001.JPG  

closet3.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
The wasted space is an issue regardless of whether you do shelves or bins, and best remedied by adding another access door near the floor (as you have very nicely done, Greg).

The biggest advantage of shelves I can see is the potential for adjustability.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #10

Name: Laurie
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
Closet shelving

I have a 13' Scamp, also (1988) but don't understand why everyone is converting the closet. I LOVE the closet. I keep most things at home on multiple hangers, so all I have to do when packing up is take the hangers from the house to the camper: two for shirts, one for pants, one for a couple of jackets of different weights. So easy! I did want some shelves for sleep- & underwear, sox, shoes, so I bought one of those fabric vertical hanging shoe racks, which is more than enough room. The floor under the clothing and the large top shelf are good for miscellaneous items that don't fit into the pantry closet or cabinets over the sink.
LaurieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #11

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieS View Post
I have a 13' Scamp, also (1988) but don't understand why everyone is converting the closet. I LOVE the closet. I keep most things at home on multiple hangers, so all I have to do when packing up is take the hangers from the house to the camper: two for shirts, one for pants, one for a couple of jackets of different weights. So easy! I did want some shelves for sleep- & underwear, sox, shoes, so I bought one of those fabric vertical hanging shoe racks, which is more than enough room. The floor under the clothing and the large top shelf are good for miscellaneous items that don't fit into the pantry closet or cabinets over the sink.
We're still new to this; got the Scamp at the end of October and have only done a few weeks of camping with it before I winterized it. At this point we decided to keep the hanging clothes on a rod in the back seat area of the truck. We keep other items in plastic storage bins under the beds (which we leave set up full time).

We decided our best use for the closet would be shelves. I'm looking for a way to make temporary changes, like the bins instead of more permanent shelving, in case we want to change how we store things.

Going forward I'm sure we'll change as we learn more how we want to use things. I know we've already figured out we take too much stuff and are paring it down each time out.

Definitely not trying to change anyones mind on how they do things. Just responding so you can understand why some use the closet for shelving instead of hanging items.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:09 PM   #12

Name: Grace
Trailer: Casita 16F SD
Florida
perfect!
CountrysideGrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin