Clothes storage/bed table - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #15

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Get two plastic storage boxes (one each) from Walmart to fit under the bed. If the base size fits then the sides will compress and stay in place.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #16

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Good idea, but I store other things under the bed and I don't want to have to go under it to get clothes out (the duffle fit under there.) Also, one of the dogs sleeps under the bed. (I could travel with these under the bed but the EZup and mats are there.)

I'll figure something out before I travel again.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #17

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
hi bobbi-i found your thread searching for ways to make a dinette bed permanent

it looks like you have some space under the bed

i have 2 totes the right size to fit under. i dont put tops on them-not tight anyway-and i use a cane so it is easy to just hook one and pull it out when i need it

i bet a sturdy back scartcher would work too

any info on how you made bed permanent?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #18

Washington
Registry
Read the post before yours- under the bed is NOT an option.

On the permanent bed: the Campster bed is originally about 72 by 76 or something like that, longer front to back. To get in you have to climb in from the "hallway" or galley. As I'm not 6 feet tall, I can sleep sideways, so what I did was put a 3/4 mattress (6 foot by 48 inches wide) across the width of the trailer. That leaves the two 24x24 inch seats (I got cushions for them from another member's Casita side dinette.) I already had the mattress which was custom made for a 3/4 bed (antique 4-poster) that I own, but was a bit too small for that. It's basically just a good quality foam mattress.

To add a more level surface and good support (no sag in the middle) I left the table top in place as a support but added plywood crosswise over the seats. I made cuts in the seat lids so the last 24 inches still opens for storage but there is currently no way, without removing the mattress and boards, to access the front 4 feet of storage.

I really don't use those seats as seats. As they are a bit lower than the bed, though, my dog does use them as a jump up to the bed, so the one on the trailer's right I keep pretty uncovered. The other side has traditionally been where my "stuff" sits in camp. Duffle bag, iPad, etc. This didn't leave a very good place to put things like a cup of coffee or soda or eyeglasses at night, so one of my goals with the storage drawers is to double as a bed table.

I could travel with them under the bed, but I already have other things under the bed. I definitely don't want my clothes stuffed under the bed when I'm in camp.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #19

Washington
Registry
It worked pretty well to put the two drawers on the floor next to the bed during travel- easy to pick them up and put them in place when I stop for the night- but I still want to find a way to hold them in place. Didn't have time before the last trip. I did enjoy not packing a lot of stuff on the trailer floor so I could use it if I wanted to while traveling, and that's why I'd rather have the drawers also stay where they are used.

They work really great for clothes and as a bedtable. Perfect fit, drawers work easily, and I can remove them and take them upstairs to pack the clothes (or could take them in to a laundry as they have handles.)

And Jack enjoyed having the underbed area free! (Well, he had to crawl past a few things but then he had room to stretch out.)