Cold cathode fluorescent lights 12 volt - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
My CCFL lights came in yesterday. I cut the computer power plug off and hooked the wires up to a spare 12v power supply I use to charge my handheld ham radio batteries. I've got them running now instead of the lamp I usually use near my computer. They are reasonably bright! Should be good for my intended use in the camper.

So far, I'd give them two big thumbs up! Now I need to figure out how best to mount and wire them.

I have a wooden shelf over my dinette - I think I'll drill some small holes through it and use wire ties to secure the lamps to the bottom of the shelf and the power supply to the top of the shelf, where it will be hidden by the lip on the edge and will get good air circulation.

I haven't mocked them up in the trailer yet, but I'm guessing if a polished reflector was used to focus the light in one general direction, it would definitely help. They are pretty bright to the eyeballs to look at directly.

The lamps come with a on/off switch already wired, but it is mounted in a metal plate that you're supposed to install in place of one of the blank covers over an expansion slot on the back of a desktop computer. I still haven't decided how to turn them on and off. I could just use the existing switch in the existing incandescent light fixture and tap into the switched side for power, but that means you'd have to remove the incandescent bulb if you didn't want that on, too. I was also thinking of tapping into the unswitched power and mounting a pullchain or some other type of switch, but the challenge would be in putting it somewhere that would look good without wires sticking out everywhere.

Going to have to think on this one.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #16

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
When I got my 2 pairs of 12 inch lights I used my existing light fitures to power them and hide the power supplies. One was a round incadesent light fixtue above the sink. I took the old bulb out and it left room to mount power supply inside and use the existing on/off switch to power it. Bulbs were mounted both vertical along wall and horizontal above the sink using double stick tape. That gave a pretty good spread of light in the cooking area and eliminated shadowing. The other pair I gutted out my old Thinlite flouresant fixture and mounted the power supply in it and mounted the bulbs in same location as the old bulbs and used the original switch also. One added bonus, the old flouresant light used to tear up my shortwave/ham radio with noise and these are pretty quiet on the radios.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:18 PM   #17

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
I'm interested in mounting two of these above my side dinette and using them for reading.

Will that work? Enough light for reading?
Old 06-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #18

Mine have plenty of light for reading. They are located on ceiling just above my table.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Mine have plenty of light for reading. They are located on ceiling just above my table.
Thanks, Mike. That's what I needed to know. I just ordered two pairs from All.

Did you retain the diffuser for the flourescent?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #20

Yes I still use the diffuser. It can be used without it as it just snaps on.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #21

I received my two pairs of CCFT lamps fro All Electronics yesterday.

I hooked one pair up to a 12 volt battery this morning and measured the voltage and current.

12.8 VDC
0.73 amps

That means they consume 9.344 watts. If my memory is correct, the incandescent lamps in the fixtures Casita uses draw 1.5 amps. One pair of these CCFTs use half the current and the light appears to be at least twice as bright (I have no way of measuring the light output).

I'll try the CCFTs in the Casita when it cools down some here (it got up to 100.6ļ yesterday). I'll try them first just mounted to the fibeglass bottom of the overhead cabinet and see if they provide lighting comfortable for reading. I wish I had old 12" flourescent fixtures like Mike used, the diffuser would help and the installation would look better.

Thanks to all of you for the information I used to buy these. They look like winners for an old boondocker who likes to get up early to read and work crosswords.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Question.

Can you hear any electronic noise in the radio or TV when the lights are on?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #23

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Morgan, it is my understanding that they are very good for doing the dishes under too.

I ordered 15" ones. They have not gotten here yet.. but as mentioned earlir, they will go under my diffusers in my florescants.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Morgan, it is my understanding that they are very good for doing the dishes under too.

I ordered 15" ones. They have not gotten here yet.. but as mentioned earlir, they will go under my diffusers in my florescants.
When I do dishes, I just fold the plates and stuff them in the trash.

Are you sure 15" ones will fit in your flourescent fixtures (most 12 volt flourescents use 12" tubes)?
Old 06-20-2006, 06:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Question.

Can you hear any electronic noise in the radio or TV when the lights are on?

They are very quiet on am/fm and tv frequencies. There is some noise on some shortwave frequencies but nothing like the thinlite flouresant fixture it replaced. Bulbs are cool to the touch after long use. Mike
Old 06-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Thanks Mike,

Sounds like the ticket. I may have to wait ítil fatherís day (next year) to get them. I went over budget on electronic toys for this year already.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks Mike,

Sounds like the ticket. I may have to wait ítil fatherís day (next year) to get them. I went over budget on electronic toys for this year already.
Michael,

Maybe you can see mine in September.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #28

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Morgan, the cold cathode tubes are all tube and no hardware, so the existing fixture should be fine. The fixture has to fit in the 12" tube from the florescant, the mechanics on either side to hold it and the mechanical part of the fixture has extra space on the side of that as well.

The Cold cathod tubes should fit in there with even a 16th of an inch on either side to spare.

You'll see when yours arrive. The only "extra" on the tube itself is the little clear ends and the wire. Truely Low Profile.

Tags
lighting, lights