Cold cathode fluorescent lights 12 volt - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #29

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Do all the CCFT bulbs of the same length emit the same amount of light? Not all LED's are the same, so I'm curious. Like Morgan, I'd like to use them for reading above the side dinette.
Kurt & Ann K.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #30

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Jurt,

I have no true scientific way to measure lumenz of these things. I only have my eyebones to judgewith..

Compared to LEDS.. they are 6-7 times brighter when you are across the trailer from them. They have a larger coverage area.

Leds are great for pinpoint lighting, but once you step away a couple feet from them, there is no light at all! Black hole effect! In my 13, if your back is to the LEDs, you absolutely cannot see whats on the wall you are facing, even tho facing them everything is well lit.

The CCFls work very similar to flourescants as far as the coverage, but they are not as harsh. They give off a more appealing light, brighter, but not as soft and warm as LEDs.

You could easily read with them, yes, tho I actually think they would disturb the spousal unit if used above the bed.

The LED set up I have is great for reading as well, just not for working. I plan to use the LEDS as my ambient light and the CCFLs for when I am doing tasks.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #31

Name: George
Trailer: 78 Trillium 4500
New York
Hello Folks,

I've been lurking on this subject since getting a 78 trillium last month and looking to improve the 12v lighting in the dinette area. Based on alll of your inputs, I ordered a 12" pair from all electronics and it arived today. A dumb question, but serious one , since a post from Mike indicated that mixing the polarity would fry the unit, is: which lead coming out of the inverter is positive and which is negative? I know in automotive aps, black is negative and red is positive, but I've heard that RV standards are different. Orange=? // Black =? Thanks very much .

As an aside, I recieved an e-mail from all electronics that they have free shipping through July 6th on orders above $25. It stated put "freeshipping" in the coupon/offer code slot.
Worth $7 anyhow if you are considering getting these lamps.

George
Old 06-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #32

West Coast USA
Registry
Hi George and welcome.

These actually comply with Computer, auto and other small electronics circuit standards.. they were never really intended for specific RV use, tho it is a great side benefit!.

That being said, red is +, black is -
Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #33

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Hi George and welcome.

These actually comply with Computer, auto and other small electronics circuit standards.. they were never really intended for specific RV use, tho it is a great side benefit!.

That being said, red is +, black is -
Gina,

What you said is true of the input to the inverter (12VDC), but George asked about the leads coming out of the inverter.

On mine which came from All Electroncis, the wire pair that comes out of the inverter are both white with polarized connectors. The inverter output is 660 volts AC.

George,

Don't try putting longer wires for the output of the inverter to the lamps. I'd recommend just using the existing wires and plugs, that way you can be sure of the correct wire length. Because it's AC, the polarity shouldn't matter.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #34

West Coast USA
Registry
Since he was refering to the red and black, I am assuming he was actually talking about the DC input.

The connectors to the lamp side are in a molex type keyed connector, the wires are white. You "In therory" can't hook it up wrong.

I have only seen a few sets of these, and all the wires to the tube from the invertor are white.

But morgan is correct if you REALLY are talking about the output.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #35

Name: George
Trailer: 78 Trillium 4500
New York
Quote:
Since he was refering to the red and black, I am assuming he was actually talking about the DC input.

The connectors to the lamp side are in a molex type keyed connector, the wires are white. You "In therory" can't hook it up wrong.

I have only seen a few sets of these, and all the wires to the tube from the invertor are white.

But morgan is correct if you REALLY are talking about the output.
Gina and Morgan,

Thank you both for your answers. I should have engaged the brain in my phrasing"out of "before my fingers typed. I did indeed mean the red and white leads. Thanks for the caution about lengthening the output leads Morgan, I think Mike posted info on that from the company, but I had forgotten, and I do need to extend some wires to get to where I want to place a switch.

Again a separate issue: the company info mentions boosting the light output. The amount seems adequate for my purposes, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and whether there is a downside to it as in shorter bulb life, more inverter heat, etc. Also I wonder if anyone has tried the yellow lamps to balance out the very whiteness of the white bulbs to give a warmer light. It's hard to tell from the catalog what kind of light they would throw, and I'd just as soon not buy it and be dissatisfied after clipping wires.

Thanks, George
Old 06-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #36

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Gina and Morgan,

Thank you both for your answers. I should have engaged the brain in my phrasing"out of "before my fingers typed. I did indeed mean the red and white leads. Thanks for the caution about lengthening the output leads Morgan, I think Mike posted info on that from the company, but I had forgotten, and I do need to extend some wires to get to where I want to place a switch.

Again a separate issue: the company info mentions boosting the light output. The amount seems adequate for my purposes, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and whether there is a downside to it as in shorter bulb life, more inverter heat, etc. Also I wonder if anyone has tried the yellow lamps to balance out the very whiteness of the white bulbs to give a warmer light. It's hard to tell from the catalog what kind of light they would throw, and I'd just as soon not buy it and be dissatisfied after clipping wires.

Thanks, George
George,

As usual, Gina was right, dang.

You have to remember the market for these is electronics nerds. The only way to increase the light output is to increase the voltage out of the inverter. That would require you to modify the circuitry in the inverter or get a different inverter. Now, an electronic nerd would see that as a challenge and start snipping and soldering and running and measuring.

I can't help with the light color.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #37

West Coast USA
Registry
I got another set from another source and am using them right now. (Yeah .. camping eith the comp again... and no camera )

I actually got 2 individual sets, so I have 2 power supplies, but the supplies accept 2 tubes, so I mounted them on either side of the kitchen cabinets, underneath. After attaching #2 to the supply, it decreased in intensity by, a knats hair, but even then, they are quite bright and I don't even feel the need for the flourescants anymore.

I think I will leave them where they are, they do great in the kitchen and give off enough to cover reading on the goucho OR the bed.

They are not as obnoxious as the flourescants either! Still not quite "warm" but they do just great for working.

I have a second set of those LED domes coming. I think I am done with worrying about light or power for awhile!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #38

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I ordered my two pairs of 12" units from All Electronics on June 3, my order was processed on June 13 (no idea why the 10-day delay), and I received them here in Canada via the post offices of two countries on June 22. So far so good.

I briefly hooked up a set using a "12 VDC" power supply to see if they work and get first impressions. My supply provided 12.59 V with no load and came down to 12.52 volts with the CCFL unit connected; at that voltage the dual-tube unit drew 0.70 A, consistent with Morgan's results. The tubes lit instantly on the first and each subsequent test. I will try to arrange a test in a refrigerator, to anticipate the cold ambient conditions which cause difficulty for my Thin-Lite (which otherwise is very well behaved).

With no reflector or other fixture, the useful light output is substantially less than that of my ceiling-mounted single-tube Thin-Lite 15W (as it should be, if only based on power consumption), and not even quite as good as a single-bulb incandescent fixture (1141 bulb). It is noticeably better than my Home Depot 8" unit, but that one was only run on batteries for this test and it may not be a fair comparision; that 8" light was deemed clearly inadequate for general dinette use (e.g. dinner) on our last camping trip. My current feeling is that a reflector will help a lot, and I am still optimistic that this can be a replacement for even the two-bulb incandescent fixtures over the dinette table and sink.

The light looks like a nice "daylight" white to me, much higher colour temperature (more daylight or less reddish) than the incandescents, and roughly similar to my Thin-Lite. Without an additional diffuser, or setting the various light fixtures up over a test surface, the sheer intensity of the very think CCFL tube makes the comparison difficult.

For those concerned with mounting, I noted the following dimensions:
  • the 3 mm quoted diameter is of the actual glass fluorescent tube
  • the fluorescent tube is contained within a plastic tube, which is 11 mm (7/16") in outside diameter, with alternating frosted and clear stripes
  • each plastic tube is anchored in end blocks which are basically 15 mm (19/32") cubes, although they taper slightly down to 14 mm square on the ends
  • including the end blocks, each tube assembly is 314 mm (12.4" or 12-3/8") long overall
  • the high voltage wires from the power supply "brick" to the tubes are each 28 cm (11") long
  • the red and black 12VDC supply leads for the brick are about 50 cm (20") long, if they were cut out of the supplied harness
I expect to report more objective comparison results when I get these tubes running in a custom-built fixture with a reflector and less haywired power arrangement.

(Somehow I missed the overall length in my dimensional notes, so I added it today, June 27)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #39

West Coast USA
Registry
My Burro has natural reflectors. Those refridgerator white walls come in handy sometimes!

I am pleased as punch with mine. I do not intend to modify anything accept the 12v leads need to be lengthened to reach the most close and convinient power source, the useless incandecant dome light on the side of my upper kitchen cabinet.

I am also wary of the velcro mounts, tho the stuff they supply you with is pretty danged aggressive. I will have to think of a better way. Maybe a long white wire tie run thru the bottom of the cabinet.

They run so cold I am not worried about heat issues.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #40

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
My Burro has natural reflectors. Those refridgerator white walls come in handy sometimes!

I am pleased as punch with mine. I do not intend to modify anything accept the 12v leads need to be lengthened to reach the most close and convinient power source, the useless incandecant dome light on the side of my upper kitchen cabinet.

I am also wary of the velcro mounts, tho the stuff they supply you with is pretty danged aggressive. I will have to think of a better way. Maybe a long white wire tie run thru the bottom of the cabinet.

They run so cold I am not worried about heat issues.

Gina,
Velcro works better than one might think. I put an LED light inside the closet. One of those round things with 3 LEDs and sticky on the back. It didn't stay put, so I stuck some velcro on it and on the inside of the closet. I went about 10 miles one way on a washboard, gravel road this past week-end. It stayed put. You saw the clock week day clock in my trailer, that's held in place with velcro. The "industrial" strength works great.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:46 PM   #41

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
I just ordered some from that wicked ebay. A set of 12" white, a set of 4" white and some 12" blue ones just because they are purty. After I ordered them hubby told me I should have ordered some other colors too......to make a disco boler.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:48 AM   #42

West Coast USA
Registry
But Byron, then I don't get to play with my power tools!

Here is the Evil eBay source.

I swear these guys shipped them before I even bid on them! Did a BIN on Sunday, had the lights on Tuesday.. and they came cross country.

Tags
lighting, lights