Cold water plumbing issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Cold water plumbing issue

We've had a leak in the back corner of our closet (behind the shower) since we owned the trailer. The weep holes in the body have worked well, such that we never really noticed the problem until we had something in the closet get soaked from sitting on continually wet carpet. We have company for the weekend, and got the trailer mostly ready to roll today, except this problem I never got fixed last Fall.

You can see in the pic what was connected. I cut off the ends of both lines. The clear hose is supply, and the PEX is shower plumbing with a barbed fitting that the clamp in the pic will not clamp the supply hose tight to the barbed end of the PEX fitting. It's not a lot of water, but a strong weep out of the fitting. So it's off tomorrow to Lowe's for whatever I need to make a longer line, and connect it so it does not leak!

Got some other things doing soon for fun. More to come.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Frank, if you haven't already, I'd peel that carpet back to check if there are any horrors hiding beneath it. My guess is you'll discover a little rot monster has been at work.

Steve
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #3

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_N_Janna View Post
Frank, if you haven't already, I'd peel that carpet back to check if there are any horrors hiding beneath it. My guess is you'll discover a little rot monster has been at work.

Steve
Good idea Steve, thanks. Will do.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432854002.131435.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	84615
Frank
I don't know if yours is original or not but if it helps here is a pic of what mine looks like.
Sid

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While there is a PEX to barb adapter, I have clamped reinforced water line onto a PEX barb in the past with good results, BUT, I used the right size clamp. That clamp is waaaay to big to pull down to the small diameter needed to clamp that hose evenly onto that fitting. I have even seen a 5/8" PEX ring used with success in that situation.

If you don't have a PEX tool there is a connector that will connect to PEX without special tool , I believe that the brand name is "Flare-It". Also available is the push-on SharkBite connector.

In hose clamps, size matters and bigger isn't always better.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #6

New York
Sid, mine is original (I believe), but a much earlier model. It was not built anywhere near as good as yours.

Bob, I wondered the same thing. I like fuel injection clamps, but don't know if they're sized for stuff that large. I have a few weeks to figure it out.

Thanks guys!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #7

I'd get on-line and just order a Flare-It fitting that adapts 1/2" PEX to the barb fitting, and use the right sized clamps,. They are available in most "Real" (meaning not chain/discount) auto supply stores.

The pressure isn't all that high, it's just that the clamp they used was to large for the diameter of the hose it was clamping and had a flat clamping area.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:51 AM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I'd get on-line and just order a Flare-It fitting that adapts 1/2" PEX to the barb fitting, and use the right sized clamps,. They are available in most "Real" (meaning not chain/discount) auto supply stores.
Are Flare-It fittings like SharkBite fittings? I know what they are.

I tried finding a Flare-It fitting that adapts 1/2" PEX to the barb fitting on the web this morning with no luck at all. It doesn't help that I don't know exactly what I'm looking for!

Any chance someone could provide a link here for me so I know exactly what Bob is speaking of?

I know about the clamp thing, and will deal with that today.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-29-2015, 05:54 AM   #9

Here is a link to some Flair-It fittings:
Flair-It Fittings | Mobile Home Parts Store

I don't see the direct PEX to barb here, but you could use the PEX to pipe thread adapter like this one and just screw on a pipe thread to barb fitting.
Flair-Itâ„¢ 1/2" Male Adapter | Mobile Home Parts Store
Hope this helps