Compact Jr. Exterior Paint Colors? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
What color goes with which year of manufacture?

My 1971 Compact Jr. is originally canary yellow. I have read that the Compacts, were made in a rainbow of colors. Perhaps the statement referred to a range of years, and models. I will eventually make a decision to repaint the exterior or not. The outside is not to shabby, and with right gel coat polish it should bring a shine back to the surface.

If I do repaint it, I will also have the option to change the color. I am not keen on the canary yellow (yet).
Is there a correct color for each of the years and model of manufacture?
If not, then I may consider a different Compact color, ie, baby blue. Was there a red?
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I used to own a Compact Jr. and I have seen another here in San Diego. My research tells me that there were 4 original factory colors done in the Gel Coat. All were light Pastel.

They were:
  1. Light Robbin's Egg Blue
  2. Pastel Pink (What mine was under the charcoal gray paint job)
  3. Canary Yellow
  4. Pastel Green
Old 09-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #3

Frederick,

Thanks for the color chart. I am assume all four of the colors were used for 1971? Perhaps the light robin's egg blue in San Diego belongs to Damian and Sandra Rutherford, Spamboree hosts. Their 1972 Compact Jr. trailer is featured in the Douglas Keisters Teardrop book, pg. 116. Which by the way will be at Spamboree again this year, Sept. 26-28th.
The Short Short Trailer.com
I don't like the pink, or the puke green. Sorry if anyone has this color. Don't want to be a clone of Damian's trailer. I guess, I may have to leave it canary yellow. sigh.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:41 AM   #4

Registry
Talking

Quote:
My 1971 Compact Jr. is originally canary yellow.
Was there a red?
There is a Hunter I in San Diego that is it's original RED. It belongs to Linda-of-San Diego.

I met her, and Damian & Sandra, at San Diego's [b]Save-Our-Heritage-Org "Modernism Weekend" in 2007, where we displayed our trailers.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I like the canary yellow, keep it! I used PoliGlo on my Campster this summer and it did a beautiful job, easy to apply, too. You have to put a lot of coats on but drying time between coats is nothing so it doesn't take long and it dries to a shine, no polishing.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
I like the canary yellow, keep it! I used PoliGlo on my Campster this summer and it did a beautiful job, easy to apply, too. You have to put a lot of coats on but drying time between coats is nothing so it doesn't take long and it dries to a shine, no polishing.

Bobbie
Bobbie,
Thanks for the reply. Where is PoliGlo sold? Pepboys? Walmart? I will give it a try!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Bobbie,
Thanks for the reply. Where is PoliGlo sold? Pepboys? Walmart? I will give it a try!
I ordered it online. http://www.poliglow-int.com/ It's sold other places but I didn't find it in a store. I bought the kit which included cleaning stuff (which will also remove the Poliglow) and an applicator.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Okay, so here's another question (SOMEWHAT related). I have a Compact II with it's cute two tone colorscheme, white above the belly line, and soft green below the belly line. I've seen other Compact II's with the two tone paint scheme as well, but different below the belly line colors. So is the two tone scheme exclusive to the II's, or maybe an option? Just curious... Either way, I like my green so I'll live with it. I have noticed that every time I do some repair work on the trailer where I'm right up close to the skin, I find more and more little rock chips or little pin holes. So out comes the silicone caulk again! hehe Eventually I'm just going to have to learn how to do true fiberglass repair, so I can do it up right, but that's way down the road...hehe
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #9

Registry
Talking

Quote:
So is the two tone scheme exclusive to the II's, or maybe an option? Just curious...
The Compact II's, like the Hunter I's have a belly band, and were assembled similar to Bolers and Scamps. The Compact Jr. OTOH does not have a belly band; It was assembled with a vertical seam like a Burro or a UHaul.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:25 AM   #10

The Compact Jr. is gutted, and a few more screws to go before I start prep for paint. I have a question, and would like your comments.

In one of the threads someone eluded that a white painted trailer is more saleable. Would it be a crime amongst CJ owners to paint it a different color than what it came from the factory? I believe I know the answer is: What ever the owner wants it to be.

Is there a higher collector value associated with original color?
Anyone have an idea of how many of these CJ's survived?

Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #11

Registry
Talking

Quote:
I used to own a Compact Jr.
Pastel Pink (What mine was under the [b]charcoal gray paint job)

Name:   SCEgg1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  46.9 KB

My Compact Jr. had been painted when I bought it. While not enthusiastic about the color, the paint was in good condition, so I never gave it another thought. A quality paint job was not within my budget.

When I went to sell it, every woman who looked at it was immediately turned off by it. All the women thought that it would be too hot inside. I wound up selling it to a couple of guys.

If you absolutely Love it and plan to keep it forever, do whatever you want. If you plan to sell it, paint it white.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #12

Registry
Talking

Quote:
What color goes with which year of manufacture?
[b]Is there a correct color for each of the years and model of manufacture?
The 4 colors were offered at the same time.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I agree with Frederick. If you plan to keep it, do what pleases you. If you plan to move on to other projects, stay mainstream with colors and interior alterations. I see little value in originality in a 35+ year old trailer. Most buyers are looking for condition, functionality, etc.

Tom Trostel
Old 09-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #14

Registry
If I were to paint mine the color will match my car, which happens to be a off white. Having come from my first fiberglass weekend the blue stood out amoung the white trailers and look good, but do what pleases you and don't worry about resale, if they want it they will buy it.
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact_II.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	15806

I camped next door to this Compact jr on the weekend. This is the original gelcoat in light blue and original side decal. For more pictures of this trailer go to Rick's thread about his winter rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails
Compact_jr.jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Attachment 15806

I camped next door to this Compact jr on the weekend. This is the original gelcoat in light blue and original side decal. For more pictures of this trailer go to Rick's thread about his winter rebuild.
Jim
Thanks for the mention and although the color is orginal, the side decal I made up on the computer. By the way my wife and I had a good time at our first egg weekend. Everyone made us feel right at home, even with our square egg. Its good to put a face with their forum postings. We like seeing what everyone did to their trailer and are looking forward to our next meeting
Rick
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #17

Trailer: Compact II 1973
I have a '73 Compact II in the wasabi green color. I saw a '71 that came through town in the yellow. Not quite as bright as your canary, more like a post it note. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5090.JPG  
shellyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting