Compact Jr. Winter rework session - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #29

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Steve, how are you venting the microwave. That particular model has vents on the sides (???) the moisture has to go somewhere....

The cooling air vents are on the bottom and back, and there's an inch or so clearance there. The platform it sits on is drilled full of holes to help with ventilation. There's also good clearance on the left side and top. The only real snug fit is on the right-hand side, but there're no vents there. Plus I expect Sis to only use it for short-duration stuff, like heating a cup of coffee, which should also minimize the heat load.

Moisture. Hmmm. Although I suppose that a cup of water or a baked potato would steam somewhat, I don't recall seeing any ventilation of the cooking compartment. I think the steam just stays inside until you open the door. But it wouldn't hurt to take another look at the microwave when I pull it out preparatory to painting the cabinets.

[b]Bobbie Mayer asked where I got it from. It was no problem at all; when I opened the door of the trailer, there it was. Actually, Sis bought it at a garage sale for some trifling amount, and brought it up when she brought the trailer.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #30

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I think your space there must be longer than mine in the Campster. I didn't have anywhere near room enough for a cookbook slot. Either that or the microwave is substantially shorter.

Bobbie

Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #31

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Moisture. Hmmm. Although I suppose that a cup of water or a baked potato would steam somewhat, I don't recall seeing any ventilation of the cooking compartment. I think the steam just stays inside until you open the door. But it wouldn't hurt to take another look at the microwave when I pull it out preparatory to painting the cabinets.
Look on the ceiling (inside) of the microwave, you'll see vents and a fan. My Sharp in the house, says a minimum of 2" all around. The microwave over the stove is vented into the range hood. Microwaves get hot too, and can be a fire hazard. Just trying to save you from grief later on. If moisture is allowed to drip down inside the wood cabinet... well, you know .... it doesn't take a lot to get the ole mold stuff going. And this moisture is full of fungi from the food.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Look on the ceiling (inside) of the microwave, you'll see vents and a fan. My Sharp in the house, says a minimum of 2" all around. The microwave over the stove is vented into the range hood. Microwaves get hot too, and can be a fire hazard. Just trying to save you from grief later on. If moisture is allowed to drip down inside the wood cabinet... well, you know .... it doesn't take a lot to get the ole mold stuff going. And this moisture is full of fungi from the food.
Okay, you got me thinking. Sure enough, Sis' microwave has vents, just as you described. So over the last few days I've done a couple things. First, I did a test. I figured that Sis' most common use of the microwave would be heating water for coffee in the morning, so I heated a cup with a paper towel draped loosely over the vents. The paper towel didn't seem to get damp at all (which kinda makes sense if the water's not actually boiling), so I concluded that usually there wasn't going to be much moisture.

But I hate mildew as much as the next man, so I did another thing--I had the paint store mix a packet of mildew poison into a quart of Kilz, and I painted the entire inside of the microwave compartment with it.

So I have confidence that it's not going to be a problem, but we'll keep an eye on it anyway--and I thank you, Donna, for bringing it up.

And now for a progress report:

The carpentry is all done. The cabinets are repainted, the microwave and the icebox are back in, and the sliding door to the Secret Cabinet is installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Final_microwave_instln.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	10433

And I spent a little time making a moose-themed accent light (110V) out of a stained-glass votive:

Name:	Moose_accent_light.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	10435

So the only big bit left is the new curtains! Hooray!
Attached Thumbnails
Sliding_door.jpg  
Old 10-10-2007, 12:13 AM   #33

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Quote:
And now for a progress report:

The carpentry is all done. The cabinets are repainted, the microwave and the icebox are back in, and the sliding door to the Secret Cabinet is installed.

And I spent a little time making a moose-themed accent light (110V) out of a stained-glass votive:
Hey, Steve, those all look fantastic!!
Good place for that moose! Maybe you forgot to mention that the upholstery came with moose on it (redone by a previous owner) and now there's moose signs to-boot.

What did you use for stops on the sliding door for the "secret" (or, shall we say, ex-secret?) compartment?

Sister Cory
Old 10-13-2007, 07:10 AM   #34

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
But I hate mildew as much as the next man, so I did another thing--I had the paint store mix a packet of mildew poison into a quart of Kilz, and I painted the entire inside of the microwave compartment with it.
Nice work Steve!

Can you tell me a bit more about the "mildew poison"?
I've never heard of it before.

Roy
Old 10-13-2007, 09:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Nice work Steve!

Can you tell me a bit more about the "mildew poison"?
I've never heard of it before.

Roy
Paint stores have it. It's a little packet, you buy it, the paint store dumps it into the can of paint and shakes it up. It's supposed to stop and prevent mildew growth. I've used it a couple times when painting bathrooms, and it seems to work fine.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:20 PM   #36

Name: Tami
Trailer: 13ft Boler. Also added '96 Dodge American Cruiser camper van and a '93 Ford conversion van.
Hello! I also did a few modifications to my little Compact. For added storage of lighter items, I am using a board that fits across the bottom part of the pop up in which I've added a lip so it snuggles just in over the outer edge where the canvas starts. It gives me enough room for a small lamp, kleenex box, books, spices... I use two of these shelves, one situated to the rear and one toward the beginning of the bed area. These I remove when moving. The other change was taking out the old table, using two PVC drains turned upside down (so I could mount to the floor and new table top using screws in the metal holes), a length of PVC pipe, and a lightweight, narrower board for the top. I mounted the table closer to the door end so I could leave a bed area up to the back of the trailer and still have a sitting area. The table swivels to get in and out from plus is easy to remove if I don't want it in at all. For my porch light I used large stick on velcro pieces attached to a solar light that Menards sold. It looks about the same size as what you mounted, I remove the light during travel but have forgotten and it was still there after a five hour haul! Being a thrift store junkie I found a little clear plastic stick on shelf that I use for stove items like my lighter. Since the trailer has no oven I found an old oven that looks like a covered cake platter which has a thermometer in the lid and use that on the stove top! I've looked at the Coleman ovens but hey, this was 5.00! Does your sisters trailer have an icebox? Or a real fridge?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #37

Washington
Registry
Quote:
The other change was taking out the old table, using two PVC drains turned upside down (so I could mount to the floor and new table top using screws in the metal holes), a length of PVC pipe, and a lightweight, narrower board for the top. I mounted the table closer to the door end so I could leave a bed area up to the back of the trailer and still have a sitting area. The table swivels to get in and out from plus is easy to remove if I don't want it in at all.
This sounds like what I want to do. Can you post some pictures?

Bobbie
Old 10-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Hello! I also did a few modifications to my little Compact. For added storage of lighter items, I am using a board that fits across the bottom part of the pop up in which I've added a lip so it snuggles just in over the outer edge where the canvas starts. It gives me enough room for a small lamp, kleenex box, books, spices... I use two of these shelves, one situated to the rear and one toward the beginning of the bed area. These I remove when moving. The other change was taking out the old table, using two PVC drains turned upside down (so I could mount to the floor and new table top using screws in the metal holes), a length of PVC pipe, and a lightweight, narrower board for the top. I mounted the table closer to the door end so I could leave a bed area up to the back of the trailer and still have a sitting area. The table swivels to get in and out from plus is easy to remove if I don't want it in at all. ... Does your sisters trailer have an icebox? Or a real fridge?
Sis' trailer has a removable shelf like you've described, and it's darned handy while cooking.

Your PVC flange setup for the table sounds lightweight. Sis' has aluminum sockets and a tubular post. One advantage of the aluminum socket setup (which is standard RV hardware) is that the sockets and post seem to be tapered slightly so that they fit together very snugly, providing a very steady table. I'm currently making her a hollow-core tabletop, which should be lighter than the existing slab of 3/4 inch plywood.

She and I had discussed a bed and table setup like yours (perhaps she had heard of or seen yours?), and it wouldn't be hard to do, for sure. All I'd really have to do would be to move the big round aluminum table socket on the floor a couple feet further aft and build a smaller table top. She's single, so a narrow bed and a more-or-less permanent table makes some sense.

Her trailer has an icebox. She's dissatisfied with it, and one of the items on the Winter Rework list was to improve its insulation, so I pulled it out and wrapped it with about an inch of fiberglass insulation, then covered that with brown paper to make it easier to slide back into place without tearing up the fiberglass. Worked great. (The brown paper to make it easy to reinstall, I mean; I don't know if the additional insulation will resolve Sis' dissatisfaction. )
Old 10-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #39

Just another update. My wife sewed the curtains last weekend, and now they're installed. Sis about went nuts trying to pick a pattern, and then get enough of the material. Here's a picture:

Name:	Window_curtains_small.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	10569

The rework session is rapidly drawing to a close!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #40

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Looking good.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #41

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
The rework session is rapidly drawing to a close!
Very nice, Ya know Olympia isn't THAT far from Portland... sure hope to see this trailer in person someday How about the Spring NOG???
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #42

Washington
Registry
I'm eager to hear how the icebox insulation works. I could have stuffed insulation up around mine when I was putting the microwave in, but didn't. Wrapping it seems like a good idea.

Bobbie