Complete lil Bigfoot reno - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 01:44 AM   #21

Name: Slawek
Trailer: custom
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Thanks for the info! Since it is riveted to the shell is there supposed to be a visible seam? Or when it was built was it sealed with fiberglass, or something else?
Yeah there is a seam since its a separate part riveted to a body.

I have started making forms and pressing fronts for my cabinets. Interior is getting back to be interior this month.
Toykiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:48 AM   #22

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toykiter View Post
Yeah there is a seam since its a separate part riveted to a body.

I have started making forms and pressing fronts for my cabinets. Interior is getting back to be interior this month.
Here is a sink vanity i'm bending now.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 07-02-2016, 11:50 PM   #23

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Nice work and ....what a great vacuum table
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:21 AM   #24

California
Resizing entry door

So I have decided instead of rebuilding old square door to get new one and with nice radius. A little project but well worth of extra 3 inch in hight.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 07-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #25

California
Quote:
So I have decided instead of rebuilding old square door to get new one and with nice radius. A little project but well worth of extra 3 inch in hight.
And here with 5 coats of fiberglass a 2 coats of bond so far
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 07-12-2016, 01:49 AM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
And here with 5 coats of fiberglass a 2 coats of bond so far
I agree with your decision, nice job and looks good .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #27

California
Got the water tank fitted in a frame

Finally got whole frame ready to slide back under the shell. I have moved water tank under the trailer to save space inside and to double capacity since I'm adding exterior shower. Tank came from ebay and I got skid plate fabricated locally out of staines steel. 21Gal and extra space under seat for sleeping needs = win win. Frame also received new brake away switch and brake wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 07-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm still not visualizing where this is going, particularly the curved cabinet fronts, but I can't wait to find out!

Thanks for sharing.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #29

California
Finally got shell on the frame and fitted resized and painted door. Looking forward to finish electrical this week and put liner back on the walls.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 07-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #30

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Very nice...

Gilles ⛺
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13.5
Saskatchewan
curious if you cut your floor out. By that i mean cutting the fiberglass edged plywood sub floor out to replace it. I am just in the process of getting ready to do that. Great pictures, keep em coming.
stevelilbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #32

California
I was lucky to have floor sub in perfect condition with no real water damage. Only place that was a little dry root was in front where one frame bolt penetrate shell and it wasn't sealed under the trailer.I mixed penetrating epoxy ( restore it) to make it solid as a rock. I do plan to glue down 1/2'' teak fllooring on top of plywood after I put cabinets in place. Already removed linoleum and sanded sub floor. If you have to remove plywood I would cut out only damaged section and replace it with new marine ply and soak it with epoxy and one coat of fine fiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelilbigfoot View Post
curious if you cut your floor out. By that i mean cutting the fiberglass edged plywood sub floor out to replace it. I am just in the process of getting ready to do that. Great pictures, keep em coming.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #33

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
And whole shell shoot. Whole body work and painting process took me 3 weeks almost everyday with some major interlux kote primer drying problems and countless hours of sanding. But in the end it was worth it. Super stoked with the outcome.
I'd love to hear more about the paint process. We are looking at painting our scamp and just starting to do some research.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #34

California
I went with Interlux bright side. It was actually not as easy as I hoped for. I do spray my woodworking projects with HVLP gun and since instructions called for brush I did their Prekote thinned primer with brush. It applied to thick using roller and brush method and it took 2 weeks of sanding just 2 coats or primer. I went thru lots of paper that would clog up super fast. After that I went to local boat works yard and talked to pros. They said that they spray everything with HVLP even tho Interlux told me it's not the way to go. I did try airless gun as this is what Interlux recommend and it was still to thick. After sanding and trying all ,,factory recommended methods,, i went with HVLP and 1.7 tip for great final results. BTW do not fallow their wipe with thinner before applying another coat recommendation. It just bubbled up my last coat. Good tack cloth ,, Ideally with no wax'' is all you need after sanding every coat. If I had to do it all over again I would go with automotive finish since you can't buff Interlux and primer is terrible to sand. Prep work is key to any finishing project. Take time to take off all parts off the body and mask tape what you can't.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:07 PM   #35

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
I went with Interlux bright side. It was actually not as easy as I hoped for. I do spray my woodworking projects with HVLP gun and since instructions called for brush I did their Prekote thinned primer with brush. It applied to thick using roller and brush method and it took 2 weeks of sanding just 2 coats or primer. I went thru lots of paper that would clog up super fast. After that I went to local boat works yard and talked to pros. They said that they spray everything with HVLP even tho Interlux told me it's not the way to go. I did try airless gun as this is what Interlux recommend and it was still to thick. After sanding and trying all ,,factory recommended methods,, i went with HVLP and 1.7 tip for great final results. BTW do not fallow their wipe with thinner before applying another coat recommendation. It just bubbled up my last coat. Good tack cloth ,, Ideally with no wax'' is all you need after sanding every coat. If I had to do it all over again I would go with automotive finish since you can't buff Interlux and primer is terrible to sand. Prep work is key to any finishing project. Take time to take off all parts off the body and mask tape what you can't.
Wet sanding is the key factor for good results.

I thought all was lost for my paint job until the light bulb went off in my brain to use water as a cutting fluid for sanding the primer. As in it really likes be wet sanded and when you do it that way it does not clog up the sand paper. Once I figured that out the job was much easier. It would be even easier if I had a "wet random orbital sander" except that the surface of my Campster is far from being flat and buying a decent quality power sander is not in my budget but at least my elbows, shoulders and wrist still rotate randomly for now with the help of some Ibuprofen .

For some reason the primer directions don't state to wet sand, I guess they figure they are selling to professionals who have that knowledge and equipment. That is how they do it at boat yards and also in automotive shops where they need to keep the dust under control.

The paint also likes to be wet sanded.

So know that you know the secret for sanding it you won't have to be nearly so frustrated with the process.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #36

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Simply gorgeous. I would love to see photos of how your rear bumper attaches to the body. I think mine has not been done well, and would like ideas about what to do!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #37

California
I called interlux and they said to absolutely not use any water. They said it would fail if i did. It is no brainer to do that on automotive paint tho. Also no buffing so last coat has to be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Wet sanding is the key factor for good results.

I thought all was lost for my paint job until the light bulb went off in my brain to use water as a cutting fluid for sanding the primer. As in it really likes be wet sanded and when you do it that way it does not clog up the sand paper. Once I figured that out the job was much easier. It would be even easier if I had a "wet random orbital sander" except that the surface of my Campster is far from being flat and buying a decent quality power sander is not in my budget but at least my elbows, shoulders and wrist still rotate randomly for now with the help of some Ibuprofen .

For some reason the primer directions don't state to wet sand, I guess they figure they are selling to professionals who have that knowledge and equipment. That is how they do it at boat yards and also in automotive shops where they need to keep the dust under control.

The paint also likes to be wet sanded.

So know that you know the secret for sanding it you won't have to be nearly so frustrated with the process.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #38

California
Headliner almost installed and all wired. Sorry for crappy pics.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 08-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #39

California
Quote:
Simply gorgeous. I would love to see photos of how your rear bumper attaches to the body. I think mine has not been done well, and would like ideas about what to do!
I'll snap some later. There is lots of rivets and in area behind spare you have about 6 screws. On top of the bumper there are 2 rivets on L & R side that are attaching to a bracket inside the bumper.That bracket is attached to body but you would have to take bumper off to see it.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #40

California
OK here is side shot of rivets

Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
trailer reno-2030.jpg  

Tags
bigfoot