Composite Propane tanks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Composite Propane tanks?

I was looking at the fiberglass/composite propane tanks (Lite Cylinder in particular) and saw that they have 20 pound tanks AND 25 pound tanks.

The tank I have on the Scamp is a (steel) 25 pounder, but looking at the composite 25 pounder, it looks taller than what I have.

Would there be any reason OTHER than it lasting longer that I would want/need the 25 pound composite tank?

Also, has anyone used one of these type tanks, and what did you think of it?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Mon, the main reason people seem interested in the fiberglass tanks is because you can look and easily see how much fuel you have left. There's many ways to check your fuel supply with steel tanks, but nothing quite as simple as taking a look.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have one used them in the past. They are lighter and you can see the contents, therefore no guessing. If you have tongue weight issues, a single 25 lb weighs less than dual 20 lbs and since you can see the contents, it is a viable alternate to having 2 metal tanks with one being a backup up when one becomes empty.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Expensive. They sell steel tanks with fuel gauges on the for far less.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Those fuel gauges work on pressure and are about as accurate as your waste tank monitors!! Seeing is believing!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Good info. I've been curious about those. Less tank weight = bigger battery for the same tongue weight.

But they are not cheap. Didn't know about the visible level, that's a very nice advantage.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
There has been a lot of good discussion on these tanks in the forums previously.

The OP might be able to get away with a 20 Lb. tank. Other than the higher cost, it is getting harder and harder to find places to fill tanks. Many places seem to be jumping on the tank exchange bandwagon.

I've gone the exchange route on the 20Lb tanks for my Trillium because you find them almost anywhere. Even my local Walmart has a 24 hour vending maching for propane exchange.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #8

British Columbia
This brings up a subject I've been meaning to ask about.

Do any of the exchange places let you turn in a cylinder, let them keep the cylinder value in your account (deposit) and then pick up a cylinder later from another location and just pay for the gas? Because there's a lot of times I don't want to be carrying around a 20lb tank. But I don't want to have to buy/pay for the deposit on a tank more than once.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
This brings up a subject I've been meaning to ask about.

Do any of the exchange places let you turn in a cylinder, let them keep the cylinder value in your account (deposit) and then pick up a cylinder later from another location and just pay for the gas? Because there's a lot of times I don't want to be carrying around a 20lb tank. But I don't want to have to buy/pay for the deposit on a tank more than once.
Why would you use any exchange program. I've always been able to find place that will fill my cylinder. A couple places charged a flat rate, but the vast majority metered and charged by the gallon.
Exchange systems don't take into account any thing already in the cylinder.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Why would you use any exchange program. I've always been able to find place that will fill my cylinder. A couple places charged a flat rate, but the vast majority metered and charged by the gallon.
Exchange systems don't take into account any thing already in the cylinder.
A: Well, I did it the first time after spending several hours driving around not finding any open places that would fill my small travel tank. It's not always easy to get a tank filled.

B: It sure would be advantageous if I found one that would store a tank for me, but that might be unrealistic.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
A: Well, I did it the first time after spending several hours driving around not finding any open places that would fill my small travel tank. It's not always easy to get a tank filled.

B: It sure would be advantageous if I found one that would store a tank for me, but that might be unrealistic.
If a person is camping in a campground ask the host where the metered places are. I found a couple that way I never would have found otherwise.
If not in a campground start asking around. I know that there's thousands of places in California that pump and meter. I fill my tank in Death Valley at the gas station charging an arm and a leg for gas but for propane the price was right inline. Same thing at Kathrine Landing. Big Bend A flat rate of $14.50.
Once place that insisted on a exchange, which I wouldn't do, wanted $32 for the exchange. I watch what you're doing you can judge when a refill is needed, find a metered place and not have problems. I use an LCD gauge where you poor boiling water over it and watch it change color to determine how full it is. After a few trips you get to know about how much you're using.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If a person is camping in a campground ask the host where the metered places are. I found a couple that way I never would have found otherwise.
If not in a campground start asking around. I know that there's thousands of places in California that pump and meter. I fill my tank in Death Valley at the gas station charging an arm and a leg for gas but for propane the price was right inline. Same thing at Kathrine Landing. Big Bend A flat rate of $14.50.
Once place that insisted on a exchange, which I wouldn't do, wanted $32 for the exchange. I watch what you're doing you can judge when a refill is needed, find a metered place and not have problems. I use an LCD gauge where you poor boiling water over it and watch it change color to determine how full it is. After a few trips you get to know about how much you're using.
I may end up loosing the exchange thing, as I said I'd rather not keep a 20lb steel tank much of the time. I do have to use fill ups on the small tank anyway.

But the exchanges are all over, that's why it would be so great if I could have them "hold" a tank for me when I don't want/need it.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Gas stations, super markets, home improvement centers, all have propane exchange which makes it convenient. I exchange my tanks at the local Lowes for under $19 when they get rusty or beat up. Otherwise I get them filled. One thing you have to be aware of though, when doing the tank exchanges, they aren't actually filled up to the max, they only contain 4-4.5 gallons instead of 5.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #14

I agree Thomas. They are convenient.

The closest propane fill to me is not. I have to go to the mega store, ring the bell wait for an attendant to come out and check my tank and make sure it is not stale dated, go inside line up and pay, come back out to get the tank.

The way I see it, they own the tank and are responsible for keeping it up to date. There is nothing preventing me from filling an exchange tank elsewhere. In my mind that makes it the best of both worlds.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I filled my 20 lb propane tank today at the local farmers coop cost was $16.00 and it took only 5 minutes
The hardware store in town 5 miles away wanted $29.00 for an exchange tank
To me that's a big difference in cost !! Plus I just purchased 2 new tanks last summer and I do not wish to exchange them for tanks that may be ?? years old
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #16

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
Gas stations, super markets, home improvement centers, all have propane exchange which makes it convenient. I exchange my tanks at the local Lowes for under $19 when they get rusty or beat up. Otherwise I get them filled. One thing you have to be aware of though, when doing the tank exchanges, they aren't actually filled up to the max, they only contain 4-4.5 gallons instead of 5.
Absolutely correct Thomas. I've checked every exchange location I see while driving around our local area as well as adjoining states. There are several different 'brand names' but the 'biggie' in our area is Blue Rhino, or Ozark Mtn Gas. If you look closely, they ALL have in smaller print, somewhere on the information sign, the amount of propane you're getting with the exchange. All are around 15lbs or so of actual gas, & you invariably pay a higher (often much higher) price than having your tank filled with 20lbs of propane. Actually in the USA you're probably getting a little less than 20lbs since most states have signed on to the NFPA compact requiring the overfill protection device (OPD) which cuts off delivery at just under 20lbs when properly adjusted. It's still much more gas for significantly less $$.

I took this pic at our local Wal Mart exchange cage -
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of Copy of 2011-10-14_10-04-09_864.jpg  
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #17

British Columbia
I've had easy LP fill ups and I've driven around for ages unsuccessfully and ended up with an exchange tank to keep from freezing that night. Both have advantages. If every gas station would do refills, I'd just get a big fiberglass tank and be done with it. But they don't, so having the exchanges around is a convenience and at times a godsend.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #18

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
So much for the topic !!!
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
I do find it can be challenging keeping a thread on topic around here.

I am curious about the composite tanks. I'm mostly concerned about tongue weight.

Is theft a worry with a fancy, expensive tank?
Old 06-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
... has anyone used one of these type tanks, and what did you think of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
You are right Daniel,

No insult to either; the topic has been discussed at length in a number of threads before. You can find those threads by doing the Google search under the search at the top and entering the phrase "fiberglass tanks".

Perhaps the moderators might determine if portions of this thread need to be separated into a separate topic.

On the other hand, I would like to thank those who brought it to the members attention that the exchange tanks may contain less propane.
I say may, because I wonder if there are geographical rules as to how much propane the exchange tanks should contain.

Those that use exchange tanks for propane can evaluate the convenience vs. the cost of time and money for the value we receive when it comes to exchanging or filling at any given point of time.

Tags
propane