Old 06-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Registry
Composite Propane tanks?

I was looking at the fiberglass/composite propane tanks (Lite Cylinder in particular) and saw that they have 20 pound tanks AND 25 pound tanks.

The tank I have on the Scamp is a (steel) 25 pounder, but looking at the composite 25 pounder, it looks taller than what I have.

Would there be any reason OTHER than it lasting longer that I would want/need the 25 pound composite tank?

Also, has anyone used one of these type tanks, and what did you think of it?

Mon

Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Mon, the main reason people seem interested in the fiberglass tanks is because you can look and easily see how much fuel you have left. There's many ways to check your fuel supply with steel tanks, but nothing quite as simple as taking a look.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: First edition 2014 21' Escape BlackJack pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have one used them in the past. They are lighter and you can see the contents, therefore no guessing. If you have tongue weight issues, a single 25 lb weighs less than dual 20 lbs and since you can see the contents, it is a viable alternate to having 2 metal tanks with one being a backup up when one becomes empty.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Expensive. They sell steel tanks with fuel gauges on the for far less.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: First edition 2014 21' Escape BlackJack pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Those fuel gauges work on pressure and are about as accurate as your waste tank monitors!! Seeing is believing!!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Good info. I've been curious about those. Less tank weight = bigger battery for the same tongue weight.

But they are not cheap. Didn't know about the visible level, that's a very nice advantage.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #7

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
There has been a lot of good discussion on these tanks in the forums previously.

The OP might be able to get away with a 20 Lb. tank. Other than the higher cost, it is getting harder and harder to find places to fill tanks. Many places seem to be jumping on the tank exchange bandwagon.

I've gone the exchange route on the 20Lb tanks for my Trillium because you find them almost anywhere. Even my local Walmart has a 24 hour vending maching for propane exchange.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #8

British Columbia
This brings up a subject I've been meaning to ask about.

Do any of the exchange places let you turn in a cylinder, let them keep the cylinder value in your account (deposit) and then pick up a cylinder later from another location and just pay for the gas? Because there's a lot of times I don't want to be carrying around a 20lb tank. But I don't want to have to buy/pay for the deposit on a tank more than once.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
This brings up a subject I've been meaning to ask about.

Do any of the exchange places let you turn in a cylinder, let them keep the cylinder value in your account (deposit) and then pick up a cylinder later from another location and just pay for the gas? Because there's a lot of times I don't want to be carrying around a 20lb tank. But I don't want to have to buy/pay for the deposit on a tank more than once.
Why would you use any exchange program. I've always been able to find place that will fill my cylinder. A couple places charged a flat rate, but the vast majority metered and charged by the gallon.
Exchange systems don't take into account any thing already in the cylinder.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Why would you use any exchange program. I've always been able to find place that will fill my cylinder. A couple places charged a flat rate, but the vast majority metered and charged by the gallon.
Exchange systems don't take into account any thing already in the cylinder.
A: Well, I did it the first time after spending several hours driving around not finding any open places that would fill my small travel tank. It's not always easy to get a tank filled.

B: It sure would be advantageous if I found one that would store a tank for me, but that might be unrealistic.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #11

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
A: Well, I did it the first time after spending several hours driving around not finding any open places that would fill my small travel tank. It's not always easy to get a tank filled.

B: It sure would be advantageous if I found one that would store a tank for me, but that might be unrealistic.
If a person is camping in a campground ask the host where the metered places are. I found a couple that way I never would have found otherwise.
If not in a campground start asking around. I know that there's thousands of places in California that pump and meter. I fill my tank in Death Valley at the gas station charging an arm and a leg for gas but for propane the price was right inline. Same thing at Kathrine Landing. Big Bend A flat rate of $14.50.
Once place that insisted on a exchange, which I wouldn't do, wanted $32 for the exchange. I watch what you're doing you can judge when a refill is needed, find a metered place and not have problems. I use an LCD gauge where you poor boiling water over it and watch it change color to determine how full it is. After a few trips you get to know about how much you're using.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If a person is camping in a campground ask the host where the metered places are. I found a couple that way I never would have found otherwise.
If not in a campground start asking around. I know that there's thousands of places in California that pump and meter. I fill my tank in Death Valley at the gas station charging an arm and a leg for gas but for propane the price was right inline. Same thing at Kathrine Landing. Big Bend A flat rate of $14.50.
Once place that insisted on a exchange, which I wouldn't do, wanted $32 for the exchange. I watch what you're doing you can judge when a refill is needed, find a metered place and not have problems. I use an LCD gauge where you poor boiling water over it and watch it change color to determine how full it is. After a few trips you get to know about how much you're using.
I may end up loosing the exchange thing, as I said I'd rather not keep a 20lb steel tank much of the time. I do have to use fill ups on the small tank anyway.

But the exchanges are all over, that's why it would be so great if I could have them "hold" a tank for me when I don't want/need it.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Gas stations, super markets, home improvement centers, all have propane exchange which makes it convenient. I exchange my tanks at the local Lowes for under $19 when they get rusty or beat up. Otherwise I get them filled. One thing you have to be aware of though, when doing the tank exchanges, they aren't actually filled up to the max, they only contain 4-4.5 gallons instead of 5.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #14

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I agree Thomas. They are convenient.

The closest propane fill to me is not. I have to go to the mega store, ring the bell wait for an attendant to come out and check my tank and make sure it is not stale dated, go inside line up and pay, come back out to get the tank.

The way I see it, they own the tank and are responsible for keeping it up to date. There is nothing preventing me from filling an exchange tank elsewhere. In my mind that makes it the best of both worlds.

Tags
propane