Composite propane tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Composite propane tanks

I found this:

vikingcylinders.com – 31-pound vapor

Whic I thought was a pretty good price considering. Saves a bit of weight, allows you to see the fuel level and is not being recalled!

No idea on shipping though.

Is anyone using them?
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
According to the website, these tanks are not available until 9/15/2013. Some other sizes are not available until 2014.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Most likely a new design because of the recall several months ago.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The May and June 2013 recalls of fiberglass composite tanks involved only the tanks of the Lite Cylinder company. I don't find recall notices for Viking. Is there a connection between the companies that we should know about?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not interested. When these first came out (Lite Cylinder) I was so close to making a purchase and they were not cheap. Fortunately, my checkbook won out. We have several members with fiberglass cylinders that are nothing more than anchors now. I'd wait for several years to see if the technology works. Which for me is a bit strange, because new technology and I get along well. But, this one.... hummmmm. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Since I'm all electric I'm not interested at this time either.
But also agree with Donna. It's my operatus morendi to
wait and wait and wait to buy something new............LOL

Usually, that is.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

Alabama
There is no connection. I was reading a thread on a sailing forum about the recall and it was company specific. It had nothing to do with the technology, the company that got recalled was not doing what they needed to do to ensure they were safe. Since they didn't do that, they had to recall them.

It seems to have killed the company (awwwww!)

This is a different company, which is why I posted it.

Personally I am interested. It saves a lot of weight, on the tongue, even more if you do two 30 lb bottles. More tongue weight available for two golf cart batteries!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #8

Alabama
This technology has been used for ages in firefighter air pack bottles. I was a volunteer firefighter in CT and we had them in the early 2000s. Saves a lot of weight there as well. Hauling steel cylinders around on your back is not fun!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #9

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I like the look and functionality in that you can see how much propane you have. But I don't really think you'd save much weight if any. The 22 lb viking cylinder weighs 12 lbs. A 20 lb standard tank weights about 17 lbs empty. The main weight is in the propane therefore the viking will weight more when full than the 20 lb., but you'll have more propane for your trip! So there are advantages, but don't think you can count on less weight overall on the tongue giving you the ability to add more goodies to the tongue.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Viking seems to be a subsidiary (or similar corporate relation) of Ragasco who have sold similar composite tanks under the Ragasco name for years - particularly in Europe - where composite tanks are more widely used.

The weight advantage (particularly as most propane tanks are carried on the tongue) is particularly important on trailers towed by smaller cars with very limited permitted tongue loads.

Any problems encountered so far seem limited to Lite Cylinder's products, and I would guess that Ragaso's products have been given extra close scrutiny by regulatory agencies in light of the Lite Cylinder fiasco. I understand the suspicion over newer technology, but its kind of ironic when so many folks here are towing (and tout the benefits of) an all fiberglass trailer!
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #11

Delaware
There are recalls of steel tanks; most recently Manchester tanks sold thru Ace Tru Value and similar retail outlets. Might be best to restrain ourselves from tarring with too wide a brush.

jack
Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
But I don't really think you'd save much weight if any. The 22 lb viking cylinder weighs 12 lbs. A 20 lb standard tank weights about 17 lbs empty. The main weight is in the propane therefore the viking will weight more when full than the 20 lb...
Not quite. If a Viking with 22 lb capacity weighs 12 lb empty, that's 34 lb total. If a steel tank with 20 lb capacity weighs 17 lb empty, that's 37 lb total (and they usually have an 18 lb tare weight).

I agree that the weight savings of the composite tanks is not large, or significant as a fraction of the filled tank weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Think of all the extra "rocks" we can collect with that savings........lol
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #14

Delaware
Perhaps the dream of offsetting the weight of twinned golf cart batteries by weight reduction in propane cylinders was only a dream. Having lifted my steel 40 pounder (69lb. filled) onto the tongue, I found the idea of a lighter tank appealing. The LC 25lb was like Baby Bear's chair--just right to my thinking in both handy portability and burn time. Alas not to be [sniff].

jack
Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My interest has nothing to do with weight, my truck can handle any all molded towable. But I thought KNOWING how much propane in the tank was cool. And YES, I've read/seen all the "kinda/sorta" solutions. But viewable rules.

I'll still wait. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I agree with Donna!
(of course! )

Just to have an idea of how much propane is left is well worth it. I have a hanging scale to weight the 20lb tanks but prefer to just take a looksee and know if I need to refill or Im good for the weekend.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #17

Alabama
According to the web site, the 31 lb composite weighs 18 lbs empty which is the same as the 20 lb steel. So you get 50% more fuel for the same tank weight.

And just for the record, I did not say I would add another battery for the weight difference, simply that whatever lightens the tongue is a good thing if I am trying to add another battery to the tongue.

Heck with my Anderson WD hitch I should be able to redistribute a few hundred lbs around the axles!

Whether it works for you only you can decide.

They are pricey.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My interest has nothing to do with weight, my truck can handle any all molded towable. But I thought KNOWING how much propane in the tank was cool. And YES, I've read/seen all the "kinda/sorta" solutions. But viewable rules.

I'll still wait. YMMV
This is my line of thinking. I like the idea, not sold on how it does with rock chips, etc.

I have 2 30# tanks though (I actually wanted more weight), it will be a cold day in hell when I run out of propane, so my biggest thing would be no rust.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #19

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I like the lighter weight and visible fuel level, but I had a problem a few months ago while on a camping trip near Newport Beach CA finding a propane filling place. I searched for over an hour and drove way too many miles trying to locate one. I finally had to trade in my brand new empty cylinder for a rusty exchange tank. If I had one of the FG ones I couldn't have traded. I'll stick to the heavy steel ones due to that experience.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
... I had a problem a few months ago while on a camping trip near Newport Beach CA finding a propane filling place... I finally had to trade in my brand new empty cylinder for a rusty exchange tank. If I had one of the FG ones I couldn't have traded
This is definitely an issue, and to fully address it, the only option is not just steel, but 20 pound steel, since I've never seen the any other size in an exchange cage.

On the other hand, motorhomes essentially always have permanently mounted tanks, so they can't do exchange either. If this is a problem for trailer owners with composite tanks, it should be for motorhomes as well, although perhaps that's one reason for high capacity in the motorhomes' fixed tanks. My motorhome has about 100 pound capacity, and it has not been an issue yet to find a filling station.

With dual propane tanks, you have the entire endurance of the second tank to get the first tank filled; with a single tank, you need a refill as soon as you run out, and (in case you think you'll refill early to avoid this) with common 20-pound tanks around here you'll pay the same to top up a half-full tank as to fill it from empty.

Also... who is selling rusty refilled tanks? All the companies I've seen clean and commonly repaint the tanks before they are (partially) filled and sent back out.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane