Confirming Boler reno research is correct - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #1

Name: Angela
Trailer: Boler
nova scotia
Confirming Boler reno research is correct

Hi all.
I recently bought my very first trailer and it's a 13ft, 1976 Boler. I've taken pretty much everything out, removed the vinyl floor and found all the leaks (I hope). I have been researching here and other places to find answers to all my questions. I was wondering if people can confirm what I think I should do for the following problems? I've never done anything like this before, hell, I've never done ANY real renos before but I'm excited about this and it's already a rewarding process.

1.Filling the holes in the interior fiberglass cabinets etc; Use an epopxy resin to fill them and then sand?

2. I need to sand and repaint all the interior cabinets etc; Sand using orbital sander and then a wet sander? Use the same kind of paint inside as exterior shell of boler?

3. Filling in the seams of the ensolite; Use marine latex caulking and a wet paper towel to texture it like the ensolite?

4. Old glue on the fiberglass floor; sand it off with 80 grit?

So far that's all I have. I will also need to drill out the old rivets for the crank windows on the sides and the one in the door. These cranks have stopped working so I'll have to take them apart and try to repair them. Any helpful hints/tips for this? Thanks everyone. I really want to do this little jem up right. Cheers, Ange
BarterBoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome.

We have a great search function here. Use the bottom "Google" entry box.
Attached Thumbnails
Search box.JPG  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Just as an FYI there is a great fiberglass tutorial and he says to use polyester resin and not epoxy based.

As Tom indicated if you do the internal forum google search you will have so much information you wont know what to do with it all.

Welcome aboard

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-52498.html
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

nova scotia
Thanks. Yes, I have done all sorts of research already and the above is what I've come up with. I know there are conflicting opinions on some things so I guess I'm just making sure what I've decided to do is correct. Thanks again. This forum is an amazing resource for a newbie like me!
Ange
Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Angela, to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here.

When you run into problems and need answers, I'd suggest posting one problem per thread. Otherwise we'll get all mixed up and try to give you answers to stuff and it becomes a mishmash mess. Besides, it helps old folks like me with Search.

Good luck and like I said, we're glad you're here
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarterBoler View Post
2. I need to sand and repaint all the interior cabinets etc; Sand using orbital sander and then a wet sander? Use the same kind of paint inside as exterior shell of boler?
Is it really a "repaint"; that is, are the cabinets already painted? Neither the interior fiberglass cabinets nor the exterior are painted from the factory.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #7

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Hi there,

My wife and I bought our first Trailer ( 72 Boler) a little over a year ago. We did a complete resto on the trailer and everything came out of the trailer except the front gaucho and upper kitchen cabinet. I would suggest using West System Epoxy resin as when we were in your shoes a nice person on here suggested it. It's easy to work with and no smell and super strong and neither of us had ever fiberglassed before. As everyone has mentioned so far there are lots of write ups on the forum and everyone is eager to help!

Is there a reason you want to paint the interior? as sometimes a little elbow grease and good cleaner is all you need.

If you are just replacing the old rivets I may suggest replacing one at a time as the closet and kitchen cabinet serve a supports for the shell and you may fight with realigning each piece.

Oh and for window parts try www.vintagetrailersupply.com they have what you need to rebuild you windows as we had fix one of ours.
Welcome and congrats on owning a Boler!

Matt
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #8

nova scotia
"When you run into problems and need answers, I'd suggest posting one problem per thread. Otherwise we'll get all mixed up and try to give you answers to stuff and it becomes a mishmash mess. Besides, it helps old folks like me with Search."

Thanks Donna. I've just discovered I have a bit of a gung-ho/bull-in-a-china -shop personality and want to get everything done all at once. Have to learn patience with this process. I will post one thing at a time from now on.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Perfectly okay Angela. I understand your enthusiasm!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler