Converting a 5'er to a bumper pull - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #21

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I've had two 5ers and never could back either of them up satisfactorily. I'm ok with bumper pulls. I find our Egg Camper (17 ft) is way easier for me to back up than our Kodiak (31 ft).
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #22

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E. November View Post
>>>>>
Come on a roof mounted station wagon mount?? Really??
>>>>>
Yup. Really! see
Old 06-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #23

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I suspect this is not what the OP wants to hear, but I'll say it anyway. Before attempting to 'convert' a 5'r to a bumper pull, you need to consult a mechanical engineer and talk about this. The stresses involved are substnatial, and just "grabbing some steel and a welder" is a prescription for disaster. You should also talk to your insurance company to see if they will even cover this combo if you pull it on a public road.

Think about the forces for a minute, and where they are applied. When you have a normal bumper pull hitched to your TV, the braking and lateral yaw forces from the trailer are applied to the TV at a nice "low" position, from the trailer frame, down at the ball. Now imagine that you construct a framework to connect the 5'r hitch to the ball down to the bumper. The forces from the trailer now have a vertical lever to apply force to the TV.
This is not a good idea.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but if the backing up siuation is a major shortcoming for you, and if you are not willing to deal with that aspect, then maybe a fifth wheel trailer simply is not for you.

Again, I'm not trying to sound rude, but I pull a variety of trailers all the time, several bumper pulls and three different goosenecks, and honestly, it's just a matter of practice, and thinking about what you have back there.

Good luck with it all, and happy camping to you.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #24

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
Thanks Lyndon, your friend's approach is my plan B approach, and offers some extra benefits, primarily the extra storage.

Last night I spent some time with various searches and found several good ideas including a simple slider.

Other than that what I found is several people having issues backing fivers some understanding why, others just frustrated such as Bob, and either resigned to live with it or moved on to other things..

Also found that Greg H never has anything positive to say about fiver's or for that matter much of anything else other than his expertise as a driver.

Lastly I continue to be amazed at the proliferation of useless information offered by this forum.

gmw. Why do you think I posted my original question??? I even stated I was looking for history of others efforts, although I think you are a bit paranoid as to insurance and such.

For what ever it's worth I have spent my life or at least the the last 50 years of it in medal fabrication industries so I do have a basic understanding of stresses and such. Just hoping for some history and insight on other attempts, not looking for a collection of unrelated garbage..

The questions was "How to convert a fiver to a bumper pull." Not how many ways can you find to pull a fiver.

Thanks to all who have offered constructive suggestion.. The rest of you ... well what can I say? Enjoy the ride.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #25

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
You are welcom Earl Of coarse THERE IS ALWAYS A BETER WAY Folowing Franks hitch i would fasten the unit to the trailer with 2 ball hitch assys so it could be quickly removed I have better photos of this if I can find them.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Having driven a lot of straight pull and a few 5th wheel rigs - I sympathize.

My feeling is that you would need to extend the lower frame rails forward - in fact make a tongue - for the 5er. Then you can fill in the area under the "top bedroom" area and have, in effect a straight-pull trailer with an "upstairs & a downstairs" at the front. The existing hardware for the 5-pull can be either chopped off or just ignored.

Should not be any more more complex than doing a front subframe swap on a hotrod.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #27

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
I think the quickest cheapest way to prove my theory is to make my slider..
I believe I can get about 16". which would be used for backing only, possibly for hooking up..

Trying to think of a way to make it pivot a bit too, which would make hitching "much" easier.

Dave, you are right doing as Frank did opens up a whole list of options for additional storage. Right now I am just not looking for that big of a project.

When I bought my fiver I was looking for one of them or a 16' with a side dinette.

The fiver just came along first. I really appreciate not having a bed in the kitchen etc, and if a good 16 so equipped came along, I certainly would consider a trade.

For now I am just living with what I have and trying to make the best of it.

Unobstructed practice is also on the short list.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #28

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Earl, I will try to find a picture of my slider I made and post it later this afternoon.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #29

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
way too much name calling going on now, thread is being closed.
Closed Thread