Converting dinette into a "U" with more accessible storage. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #29

Trailer: 75 Boler
Quote:
Yes, locking hatches with universal keys. I'll take them and my door lock to a locksmith and have him re-key everything to the same key. It'll cost me, but the added convenience and security is quite worth the cost.
Your "U" shapped seating LOOOOOOKs very nice! Top notch work! You will like it, ours has served us well!
Mike

Old 10-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #30

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
We want to do this exact update... Thanks for posting as you went along on your project, it will help us build ours right the first time! I have a question, how wide did you make your bench? I know you mentioned the table is only 24" x 30" does it fit the gap exactly as it did before you changed it? I really like this design, it just looks more inviting and comfortable, plus you lose that HEAVY table.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #31

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Peter...
You do first class work on every project you take on (like many others on this forum)... always look forward to your posts.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #32

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
It's a conversion that works very well for us, April. We spent two weeks straight camping in the trailer and found it was comfortable and functional. We'll experiment with different table shapes for a while before we settle on a final size shape and size, though.

One thing I do need to warn you about is I would NOT move the fresh water tank to the back of your conventionally towed trailer! The 5th wheel has enough tongue weight on it that 140 pounds of water (a full 20 gallon tank) at the back of the trailer won't cause instability when we pull it. That's not true with your bumper-hitched trailer, but you can still turn the back bench into a space to tuck lightweight stuff, like clothes and such.

The table width was 30" bench-to-bench, and it's still 30" bench-to-bench. The 24" depth when added to the back bench seat isn't quite the same length as the original table. We made the table a tad shorter to help make it easier to slide in and out of the dinette. We'll probably make another, even shorter table because it's still a little bit of a chore getting up and down.

If you look at my earlier posts there's one where I show the "filler" piece that tucks over the "nose" of the table to fill in the gap when we want to turn the dinette into a sleeping spot.

The bench depth . . . I wish I could remember.

I think it's 16 inches, but the depth was more or less dictated by the size of water tank's 12"x32" footprint. The back wall of the Scamp arches away from the tank from there by a few inches and the tank cover/bench extends a bit further forward, so 16" is probably about right. I'll try to remember to get the measurement this weekend when I go visit my trailer.

As long as you don't go overboard (like I did) this makes a good "starter" project for your trailer, April. Just concentrate on making the back bench with storage underneath and a new, smaller table with a podium leg. Don't remove and cut holes in the benches, re-plumbing everything, cut hatch-holes in the sides of the trailer . . . that would be too much for a first mod, and you'd loose use of your trailer while you made the changes.

Trailer mods are evolving projects. Do one little corner at a time, changing the way just one part of your trailer works while leaving the rest alone. That way you don't get bogged down and locked out of camping in your trailer for months and months at a time. That, and by leaving the existing bench structures intact you can play with the dimensions of your new "U" dinette and table and still go back to the original configuration if you don't like it.

Good luck!

--Peter
Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #33

Oregon
We have decided to go for it! And using your design as our model, I came up with this fabricated photoshop image of what it SHOULD look like when we are done. It's kind of rough, I used snippits of photos I have taken recently. I really like your design, and used parts of your photo to fabricate ours, thanks for the inspriation!!!

also, we don't have to worry about moving any water tanks, we don't have one. They put a 2 gallon jug under the sink, so we have upgraded to a 6 gallon for now, and will figure out the water system after we have started using it. I'm glad to hear it is a functional upgrade. I like the idea that both of us will have a "lounge" spot when the table is up. I have been trying to think of some way to add a leaf to the table, maybe on a hinge or slide out or something... we will see how that works out.
Attached Thumbnails
u_shape_1_copy.jpg  
Old 10-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #34

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
We have decided to go for it! And using your design as our model, I came up with this fabricated photoshop image of what it SHOULD look like when we are done.
Go for it, April! Have fun and keep it simple!

--Peter
Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 AM   #35

Oregon
This is what i got done yesterday. I still have some finishing work to do, sanding, triming and painting. We are still trying to figure the painting part out so they might stay rough for a little while. It amazes me how quickly we can put things together. I will post more detailed photos here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=32043

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0700.JPG  
Old 10-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #36

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
It's a conversion that works very well for us, April.

We made the table a tad shorter to help make it easier to slide in and out of the dinette. We'll probably make another, even shorter table because it's still a little bit of a chore getting up and down.

Good luck!

--Peter
Peter---
Thought you might be interested in the table mod I have in the Compact. I'm not the one that thought of it tho. I was at the local auto wrecking yard pulling things out of a derelict camper and scored this. It has a wooden plate attached to the bottom and two simple rabbet cuts to make it slide. Quite handy in the Compact, allows us to sit down then slide the 24" square table in front of us. It slides 7", which really helps one to sit down. We have two table plugs in the floor, use each when different bed configurations are used. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0548__Small_.JPG   SANY0550__Small_.JPG  

SANY0551__Small_.JPG   SANY0552__Small_.JPG  

Old 10-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Peter---
Thought you might be interested in the table mod I have in the Compact. I'm not the one that thought of it tho. I was at the local auto wrecking yard pulling things out of a derelict camper and scored this. It has a wooden plate attached to the bottom and two simple rabbet cuts to make it slide. Quite handy in the Compact, allows us to sit down then slide the 24" square table in front of us. It slides 7", which really helps one to sit down. We have two table plugs in the floor, use each when different bed configurations are used. Larry
Larry,

That mod has got to be what I'd call "The Cat's A**" and I would expect that it will be a frequent flyer for the people doing mods in the future.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #38

Oregon
Very cool Lary! We still have not built the table, so I have been trying to figure out some kind of hinged fold up leaf, or slide out that would extend the table a few more inches when we need it, that may be another solution.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #39

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
. . . the 24" square table . . . slides 7", which really helps one to sit down.
I LIKE IT! I'll make one as soon as my schedule gets a little less crazy.

--Peter
Old 10-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #40

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I LIKE IT! I'll make one as soon as my schedule gets a little less crazy.

--Peter
Hi: Peter... Our Escape Hatch has a sliding table for the U Dinette. Best thing since sliced bread!!! Very accommodating for my middle aged spread!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #41

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
I just might have to make one of those sliding tables myself, thanks for the pics.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #42

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
what are you doing with the old lights Peter?