Converting Scamp 5er Loft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
It has begun. There is no turning back. After seeing Nancy and Mike's Scamp 5th Wheel Standard, which they've redone so the bed runs from front to back instead of side to side, we decided we wanted something similar.

I did the demo work and started fabricating new pieces today . . . shredded the fiberglass gaucho . . . There is no turning back . . .

The last photo is of the old rib support, my cardboard template for a new support (the odd shape at the top will be the new overhead cabinet end), and one of the two new rib supports.

We have gaucho foam pads with like-new fabric if anyone wants them, by the way.

--Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	07Mar03_Loft_Remodel_Demo__02_.JPG
Views:	927
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	6633
Before

Name:	07Mar03_Loft_Remodel_Demo__03_.JPG
Views:	721
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	6634
Foam Out

Name:	07Mar03_Loft_Remodel_Demo__06_.JPG
Views:	661
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	6635
Gaucho Out

Name:	07Mar03_Loft_Remodel_Demo__09_.JPG
Views:	903
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	6636
See the white rib?

Name:	07Mar03_Loft_Remodel_Demo__11_.JPG
Views:	850
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	6637
White rib gone! (So's the one on the other side.)

Name:	07Mar03_Loft_Remodel_Demo__13_.JPG
Views:	575
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	6638
Oh, there they are!

Name:	07Mar03_Remodel_Demo__14_.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	6639
Fabricating new plywood ribs using the old rib as a guide for making a cardboard template.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: ing GOOD!!! Love the pix...I gotta get me a Digi. Cam. too!!! One question though...Whats the green stuff all over your yard Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Peter I love Nancy and Mike's 5th Wheel, the idea of getting your head away from the windows and having drawers, extra cupboards AND stairs is stellar. The best part of the side bath 5th wheel is how open and airy it appears. When Reace was gathering information to build the Escape 5th wheel, he spent time talking with Nancy and Mike about how their mods were done. Hence the front-to-back sleeping in the Escape. You should send your patterns to Scamp. The side-to-side sleeping in the 5th wheel is one of the few complaints I hear about from people. The idea of having to crawl over someone to get out of bed has never appealed to me. Ya'd think Scamp would offer this as an option, if in nothing else than the side bath Deluxe model.

Looking forward to seeing your finished pics too

On Edit: Do you have any idea how much this change may be adding to the tongue weight?

Bye again
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Looks really good. The Standard Model opened up with Cabinets Like Nancy and Mikes is really cool. Easier to heat and Cool being open compared to the deluxe. That Green stuff could Moss and Mold I am 60 miles to the nw of Peter Alf Here in Soggy Bottom Oregon
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Hi: ing GOOD!!! Love the pix...I gotta get me a Digi. Cam. too!!! One question though...Whats the green stuff all over your yard Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
We had snow earlier. Just inches of the stuff, Alf. It was awful!

We get that now and again here in the pacific northwest. Of course it all melted away and now all that's left is moss. Soggy moss. With a few blades of anemic grass sticling up through it. I''ll be putting down moss killer & fertilizer soon so some nice healthy weeds can take hold for the rest of the year.

--P
Old 03-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
[b]On Edit: Do you have any idea how much this change may be adding to the tongue weight?
Not really sure, but that's one of the advantages of a 5th wheel setup. Since the "tounge" weight is centered over the back wheels of the tow vehicle we don't have to be quite so concerned about the weight on the hitch.

Guessing at it, I'll be using about thirty pounds of wood, centered 2/3 of the way from the axle to the hitch. That'd be about 20 pounds construction weight. The memory foam matress will weigh more.

--Peter
Old 03-05-2007, 11:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Our 5er was also converted to front to back sleeping. Slab doors on 12" high legs were placed so a center isle was between the beds. This allows for extra storage under the beds.
We used some tupperware containers for the storage.

On top of the doors are high density foam mattresses (4" thick) with twin bed memory foam on top of those. It's really comfortable.

Last year we had to crawl over each other to sleep and use the head during the night, now we don't have to.

Since we are also in Portland, your welcome to stop over and check it out if you want

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #8

Registry
The substructure for the loft area is starting to take shape.

Name:	07Mar06_Loft_Remodel_Platform_Substructure_1.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	6667

1x2 hemlock lumber -- light and strong -- form the beginnings of the loft platform. The 3/8 prefinished maple plywood piece is the left-hand side of the chest-of-drawers structure that'll hold two 11" tall x 19" wide x 18" deep drawers and two 5" tall x 19" wide x 18" deep drawers.

Name:	07Mar06_Loft_Remodel_Platform_Substructure_2.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	6668

Looking forward.

--Peter
Old 03-06-2007, 11:30 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Our 5er was also converted to front to back sleeping. Slab doors on 12" high legs were placed so a center isle was between the beds. This allows for extra storage under the beds.
We used some tupperware containers for the storage.

On top of the doors are high density foam mattresses (4" thick) with twin bed memory foam on top of those. It's really comfortable.

Last year we had to crawl over each other to sleep and use the head during the night, now we don't have to.

Since we are also in Portland, your welcome to stop over and check it out if you want

Paul
I'd enjoy looking, bt I think it'll wait until one of the gatherings. I pretty much have my battle plans drawn and the construction underway now!

--P
Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Envy...envy...envy...that is looking great. Would you mind posting your plans when you get it all done so others of us could use them? I'd love to eventually do this mod. My wife and I fell in love with Mike and Nancy's mod when we saw it and put in a "hard-wood" floor after seeing theirs.

You don't happen to have the posts and hardware for your bunk bed still? The previous owners of our 19' had removed the couch and put storage cabinets there. I removed them and put it back to normal as it is easier with our kids, but they didn't have the hardware.

I think that we are getting a "cluster" of 19' Scamps here in the PNW.

-Isaac
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
When your all done come up to WA and do mine pleeze!! LOL
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Envy...envy...envy...that is looking great. Would you mind posting your plans when you get it all done so others of us could use them? I'd love to eventually do this mod. My wife and I fell in love with Mike and Nancy's mod when we saw it and put in a "hard-wood" floor after seeing theirs.
I'm not sure if the word "plans" quite apply at this point. Usually I have a plan drawn up before I start a project, but with the Scamp there are almost no pre-existing straight lines, which has made drawing plans more of a challenge. But I'll save my rib template and draw up a rough set when I'm done.

Yes, I have all the hardware for turning the gaucho into a bunk; I'll set it aside and we can hand it off sometime.

--Peter
Old 03-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 19 ft Scamp
Yes...there are no "one template fits more than one Scamp".

Are you going to the Oregon Gathering?
Isaac M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Looking very nice tough to convert our deluxe with front bath. Keep up the great work and keep us posted
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
what does this 'mystery rib" do?

Roof support? Talk to Adam? Kepp your feet from escaping?

If the answer is NOT #1, leave it out.. looks very open without it!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Are you going to the Oregon Gathering?
Yes. We're in space A7 or A9. I think. Something like that. Nice to be totally clear on the subject . . .

--P
Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
what does this 'mystery rib" do?
I called Scamp about the original ribs, which were 10"x3" wide at the inboard base feathered out to match the forward curve of the trailer over the gaucho. They are structural, and having taken them out I think I see what they do: stiffen the flexible fiberglass sides of the long run between the kitchen and the front of the trailer to help support the roof. After seeing this modified my rib design to include a foot that's 2x8" wide instead of 3/8x3-1/2".

I'm making the best of the rib, though. It'll integrate into the longer overhead cabinets I'm going to make, supporting them and acting as the end-cap on the curb side, and I'll add another, informal support just forward of the curb and street side windows to create a box/valance kind of thing around the windows for a blackout blind, curtains and pockets at the bottom for magazines and other goodies.

The roof will also be supported by a street-side 13" wide half length hang space closet at the foot of the bed that'll run from the bed deck to the ceiling.

Name:   Overhead_Cab___Rib_Drawing.gif
Views: 530
Size:  6.7 KB

--Peter
Old 03-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think the rib, is the reason Nancy and Mike had these cabinets built:
Nancy's and Mike's Scamp Trailer Page
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
I think the rib, is the reason Nancy and Mike had these cabinets built
They likely serve the same function, rib-wise. Design-wise Lynne and I decided extending the upper cabinets on each side and leaving the rest of the space as open as possible would be nice. If we decide storage is more important at some later date we can always add the cabinets in later.

We're also installing a "european" or " RV" queen bed, 60x75 inches instead of a "standard" 60x78 inch queen and building two steps instead of Nancy & Mike's three so we can make a larger bottom step that can also serve as a sitting spot for dressing & pulling shoes on and off.

--P
Old 03-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #20

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... a "european" or " RV" queen bed, 60x75 inches instead of a "standard" 60x78 inch queen...
In every reference I have seen to real (not RV) bed sizes, a Queen is 60"x[b]80" (e.g. size tables from the first Google hit for "queen bed dimensions"). Some RV makers are pretty loose about their terminology; I think businesses which are selling a product which doesn't match a real standard size should just list the dimensions for clarity.

Whatever the name, 60" x 75" should be a nice bed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp