cool awning option for those 13 foot boler types - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Name: Ana
Trailer: 1979 13' boler
New Hampshire
Registry
Cool cool awning option for those 13 foot boler types

just got this from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-200000...l_mb_hu_c_5_dp and it seems to be PERFECT! the length is great and just overhangs the edges of the awning rail by a few inches on each side allowing for rain to drain off and the best is that it does extend a bit to the sides as it's not square giving you more "awning". I got 2 extra poles to use in the front 4 holes but I may end up buying 2 more as the poles that come with it are VERY long but i'm going to see if there is a way to modify them. I have a thick cord I plan on feeding through the back seam of the sun shade so that I can slide it through the awning rail and it should work perfectly. I'll post pictures when I get it done. will be a while I think but so far it looks like a perfect option. I will keep you all posted.
avfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
I like that. It looks like it will work nicely. I might have to give that a try. I would like to get an awning for my boler this year.
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
I like that. It looks like it will work nicely. I might have to give that a try. I would like to get an awning for my boler this year.

I think it will work but I do have the rail that is already attached to the camper that I can slide this into. if you don't that may be something you need to purchase but i do think it will work. I'll post pics as soon as I can get it done.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #4

Name: Alli
Trailer: 1974 Boler
British Columbia
Interested in seeing pics of set up for sure
BCAlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #5

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfn View Post
I think it will work but I do have the rail that is already attached to the camper that I can slide this into. if you don't that may be something you need to purchase but i do think it will work. I'll post pics as soon as I can get it done.
Yea, I still have the c-channel attached. My original plan was to buy a tarp and some nylon rope, attach the rope by laying it close to one of the edges, folding the tarp over the rope and sewing it in place. Then all I'd have to do is just slide the rope thru the c-channel and done.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
But reviews are not so good.................................

I check reviews now cause after purchasing a "easy up" I learned the hard way it was not easy to get up.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #7

New Hampshire
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
But reviews are not so good.................................

I check reviews now cause after purchasing a "easy up" I learned the hard way it was not easy to get up.

yes I looked at the reviews but it seemed that they were more concerned at the fact that it was not easy to put up with one person... I can imagine that it wouldn't be easy to put up a tarp with 2 poles only with one person however threading a rope through one end and installing it into the C bracket made for awnings I'm assuming will make it easy. i'll let you know once I put it together. should be soon!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have a 7ft x 8ft rope and pole awning that has the plastic edging made to insert into the c-channel. It's completely a one-person set up. I just slide it into the channel, and then go out and set up the stakes and poles.
5-7 minutes to do it all, and 10-15mins if I've been drinking wine. (and it never makes it up if I've had a few mojiitos)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #9

Manitoba
Hi Pam, is your awning the original or did you find one somewhere?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #10

New Hampshire
Registry
OK I couldn't wait! I had to try it and put it up tonight despite the COLD temperatures and the DARK. IT WORKS! PERFECTLY. ok so keep in mind it's windy and dark and I wasn't interested in setting it up for real but just interested to know if it worked so bare that in mind when you go to look at the pictures as it truely looks like I don't know how to put up an awning. I think the front poles (the ones that come with it) are a little too long but the other ones are the coleman adjustable tent poles. I see now that they got horrible ratings but they seem pretty ok to me. we'll see I suppose. poles are easy enough to find. .

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture1730.jpg
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
ANA!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
looks very effective. only thing i would say is add some glow sticks to the guy wires,,,they are never where you thought they were in the dark. and those misplaced lawn darts can be hard to explain at the E.R.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #13

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
looking this over again,,,lots of complaints about hard to set up...i don't see it. i have set up all sorts of tents and tarps and all numbers of ropes and poles. this has two poles, and four ropes. someone clearly needs to spend some time with some boyscouts,,,,,lol<_<
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
looking this over again,,,lots of complaints about hard to set up...i don't see it. ......... someone clearly needs to spend some time with some boyscouts,,,,,lol<_<
I don't get the hard to set up either. When boondocking we almost always set up a poly tarp with poles, as rain cover for outside stuff or shade. But we almost never set up with two poles in the type of configuration shown in the amazon picture. But as a former scout leader I guess I better know how to set up a tarp eh?

Our coleman 10x10 pop up canopy is a bit heavy and bulky but it can be walked right over our 13 ft scamp. Do have to use guy ropes so that a strong wind can not make it bump the trailer.

Looks like it works for you AVFN so thanks for sharing, I may get tired of that heavy pop up canopy.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, boler