Cost to reupholster - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
OK, here's the pics.
I don't know it you can see the wrinkles in the back rest cushion, I know a professional would not like this, but it sure makes for comfortable sleeping with no gaps and seams to lay on. I fill the space by the table with a cushion each side which doubles for back rests at night in bed for reading.
The storage hanger between the 2 windows is for holding things like books, flashlight, glasses etc for easy access at night. I used leftover upholstery fabric (I hate waste)
The other pic is of the insulated window covers I made. These just stick to the walls with velcro. They help with moisture and keep the heat in/out and also darken the windows completely.
I hope the updated costs I posted didn't put you all off from making your own. It's still worth it and really not too difficult.
Christine
Attached Thumbnails
Photo0001.JPG   Photo0001.JPG  

christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 83 Scamp 13 ft
How many yards of fabric did it take for your project if you don't mind my asking?
UncleJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #23

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Home Project: Cover all the cushions in Burro with a discontinued heavy duty upholstery fabric we found at a discount fabric store. 7 cushions in all. We paid $9 per yard and used about 12 yards (not counting mistakes). The fabric was 56 inches wide.

If you're new to doing this a good move is buy more than you need to account for them mistakes. How much more depends on how many mistakes. We used an entire spool of strong thread, and I wanted piping trim on the top corners. The piping cost 30 cents per foot. To calculate this option run a tape to measure around your cushions' perimter. First I tried making separate piping with black cloth cut diagonally across the weave, like the good upholsterer guy in the store told me to do it, but got tired of the extra work and simplified things by simply enclosing the piping cord in the prime fabric. I was able to keep my lines straight because our fabric design has a geometric pattern of squares acting as guides. (A real blessing!) I also used a black marker on the backside of the fabric to indicate where to sew.

Once a cover is made and the cushion inserted if turns out too loose fitting go buy yourself some additional cushion batting and stuff it in there to plump out the slack.

I added velcro flaps on some of the cushions. On the big, long one for up front I put in a zipper. Others got sealed up sewn. Your call, there. I didn't know what I wanted so I tried it all.

The whole thing was -OJT- learn as you go. So, its not a pro job, and I may have broken the world's record for hiding mistakes, but from learning how to thread a sewing machine to jamming cushions into new shells, it was satisfying fun all the way......if you're an incurable do-it-your-bleepin'-selfer, like me, that is. And, of course, the price was right.

Will post pictures of installed work later on. Oh, Benny, that plastic bag trick worked great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Upholstry02.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1937
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:53 PM   #24

New Mexico
Registry
Oh, I didn't want to post that picture. Just remember you're looking at the backside of the cushions there. The side which is hidden against the wall and covered over with other pillows. I did say the price was right, didn't I?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 83 Scamp 13 ft
Way to go Myron!
They look great. That's just what I hope to do.
UncleJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #26

New Mexico
Registry
I wasn't happy with the way my big cushion turned out. The taupe one with the black piping, posted earlier in pix of wife fixing my mistakes.... ...So I did the whole thing over this week, using the blue fabric we got for the others. Sometimes my mistakes are BIG ones.

It fits! Put a 45 inch zipper in this one. And here it is, in Burro.
Attached Thumbnails
Upho07.jpg  
Old 03-30-2006, 06:33 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Quote:
I wasn't happy with the way my big cushion turned out. The taupe one with the black piping, posted earlier in pix of wife fixing my mistakes.... ...So I did the whole thing over this week, using the blue fabric we got for the others. Sometimes my mistakes are BIG ones.

It fits! Put a 45 inch zipper in this one. And here it is, in Burro.

Wow Myron, piping too!!
I was too chicken to try that one. Looks great!
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote