Cost to reupholster - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Starting out, I removed the old fabric and used it as a pattern. That made making the new cover easier, but when it was done stuffing the old foam cushion into it became a battle royal, a fight to the finish, a death struggle, etc etc. That foam resisted to the end. It lost that battle, and is now inside my new homemade cushion. But leaving the old fabric on it would have made it slide much much easier into the new cover. A lesson was learned.
I've HEARD putting the foam inside a plastic bag really helps to slide the new upholstery over it..then I guess, you reach inside and cut the bag out

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
If the plastic bag was large enough you could put the foam inside and then use a vacuum cleaner with the open end of the bag wrapped tightly around the nozzle to suck the air out of the foam and the bag and then close off the end of the bag....this way it would be real simple....removing the air would probably reduce the size to half or even less....put it into the cover, and then you open the end of the bag and "Voila" .......everything back to normal size... ..Benny

Old 03-26-2006, 02:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
If anyone lives near Springfield OR, "Factory Fabrics" store people told me exactly how much fabric, poly cover, zippers, foam were needed to reupholster our Scamp. They even told me exactly how to lay it out and cut it and which seams to sew first. All I did was measure carefully. I do sew, but had never done upholstery before. The way they explained it all was a total breeze. I now have beautiful cushions with top on the line foam and good fabric (don't forget to Scotch Guard) for under $100. Learn to sew!!!
Christine
Old 03-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #18

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Great! Lets see some pictures.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Pics would be great!! If I knew how much yardage i needed for my 16 side dinnette i might go look for some fabric then one of these days have it re-upholesterd.. I am not a seamstress by any means.... Being able to do it yourself and under $100 is Terrific!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #20

Well now I'm really embarrassed
I grossly minimized the cost of the upholstery..............I actually paid $280.00. I went poking back into the bills to check. AND the store was "Econo Sales" Springfield, the incredibly helpful sales clerk was Pat
Sorry................still, not a bad price and about 4 hours max work. Really.I also didn't say, but in the original Scamp cushions, the back rest part were in 2 separate pieces, so that they would curve around the walls. The join ( and hole) was exactly where my hip rested when trying to sleep. A real encouragement for getting new ones. So........I just made the new ones with one piece and leave it to just bend around naturally. I'll get pictures as soon as I put the cusions back out in the trailer.
Christine
Old 03-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #21

OK, here's the pics.
I don't know it you can see the wrinkles in the back rest cushion, I know a professional would not like this, but it sure makes for comfortable sleeping with no gaps and seams to lay on. I fill the space by the table with a cushion each side which doubles for back rests at night in bed for reading.
The storage hanger between the 2 windows is for holding things like books, flashlight, glasses etc for easy access at night. I used leftover upholstery fabric (I hate waste)
The other pic is of the insulated window covers I made. These just stick to the walls with velcro. They help with moisture and keep the heat in/out and also darken the windows completely.
I hope the updated costs I posted didn't put you all off from making your own. It's still worth it and really not too difficult.
Christine
Attached Thumbnails
Photo0001.JPG   Photo0001.JPG  

Old 03-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #22

Trailer: 83 Scamp 13 ft
How many yards of fabric did it take for your project if you don't mind my asking?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #23

NM
Registry
Home Project: Cover all the cushions in Burro with a discontinued heavy duty upholstery fabric we found at a discount fabric store. 7 cushions in all. We paid $9 per yard and used about 12 yards (not counting mistakes). The fabric was 56 inches wide.

If you're new to doing this a good move is buy more than you need to account for them mistakes. How much more depends on how many mistakes. We used an entire spool of strong thread, and I wanted piping trim on the top corners. The piping cost 30 cents per foot. To calculate this option run a tape to measure around your cushions' perimter. First I tried making separate piping with black cloth cut diagonally across the weave, like the good upholsterer guy in the store told me to do it, but got tired of the extra work and simplified things by simply enclosing the piping cord in the prime fabric. I was able to keep my lines straight because our fabric design has a geometric pattern of squares acting as guides. (A real blessing!) I also used a black marker on the backside of the fabric to indicate where to sew.

Once a cover is made and the cushion inserted if turns out too loose fitting go buy yourself some additional cushion batting and stuff it in there to plump out the slack.

I added velcro flaps on some of the cushions. On the big, long one for up front I put in a zipper. Others got sealed up sewn. Your call, there. I didn't know what I wanted so I tried it all.

The whole thing was -OJT- learn as you go. So, its not a pro job, and I may have broken the world's record for hiding mistakes, but from learning how to thread a sewing machine to jamming cushions into new shells, it was satisfying fun all the way......if you're an incurable do-it-your-bleepin'-selfer, like me, that is. And, of course, the price was right.

Will post pictures of installed work later on. Oh, Benny, that plastic bag trick worked great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Upholstry02.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1937
Old 03-28-2006, 07:53 PM   #24

NM
Registry
Oh, I didn't want to post that picture. Just remember you're looking at the backside of the cushions there. The side which is hidden against the wall and covered over with other pillows. I did say the price was right, didn't I?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 83 Scamp 13 ft
Way to go Myron!
They look great. That's just what I hope to do.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #26

NM
Registry
I wasn't happy with the way my big cushion turned out. The taupe one with the black piping, posted earlier in pix of wife fixing my mistakes.... ...So I did the whole thing over this week, using the blue fabric we got for the others. Sometimes my mistakes are BIG ones.

It fits! Put a 45 inch zipper in this one. And here it is, in Burro.
Attached Thumbnails
Upho07.jpg  
Old 03-30-2006, 06:33 PM   #27

Quote:
I wasn't happy with the way my big cushion turned out. The taupe one with the black piping, posted earlier in pix of wife fixing my mistakes.... ...So I did the whole thing over this week, using the blue fabric we got for the others. Sometimes my mistakes are BIG ones.

It fits! Put a 45 inch zipper in this one. And here it is, in Burro.

Wow Myron, piping too!!
I was too chicken to try that one. Looks great!
Christine