We stripped the foam-backed polyester double knit fabric from the interior of our Captain
and replaced it with a layer of closed-cell foam which was then covered with boat-hull liner (looks like fuzzy corduroy). The Captain
doesn't have so many curvy spots so wasn't an impossible job at all. We used spray adhesive as recommended by the foam manufacturer so it didn't dissolve the foam. And yes, we did remove all the cabinets (not the one with the stove and sink though) and the window gaskets. Actually, we had to remove the windows
because we couldn't get the closet out the door - it went out the end window.
The boat hull liner is designed to be wet and not turn into a moldy mess, not that we plan on a lot of leaks
. Plus you can stick stuff up with velcro like signs that say "back at 3 pm - make sure the beer is cold". Stay away from "natural" materials like cotton.
It was a big job but worth it in the end. You will need a good big space to lay everything out. We made paper patterns so we didn't randomly cut up materials and waste it. The foam didn't matter so much because it got covered with the hull liner.
We replaced the vinyl flooring at the same time, when everything was stripped out.
We were also told to use butyl caulking, NEVER silicone. The advice was absolutely correct.