Covering or replacing twisted iron bars? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
Member
 
Jeff Richardson's Avatar
 
Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
Posts: 71
Since I'm going to make an actual plastic laminate (Formica) covered countertop for my kitchen cabinet I will have to make a new upper cabinet support, which I believe is the purpose of the twisted iron bars.

I will probably use two 1-inch square steel tubes or maybe splurge and use stainless steel which I can polish or brush. (Oooh, I like that idea!)

The hollow tubes will allow me to run wires through them up into the upper cabinet for computer sound system speakers that I will mount on both ends of the upper cabinet. The sub-woofer/amp unit is in the cabinet under the sink. I will also run 12 volt or 120 volt wiring through one of the tubes if necessary.

I will weld cross bars between the vertical tubes for a TV swing arm mount. This is my favorite place to mount a TV. No holes are drilled into any cabinets. I can watch TV in bed or swing the TV towards the kitchen or front couch.

The 22-inch TV I use on the road is the one I use in my bedroom at home. I just put it in the original box when travelling and mount it on the swing arm when stopped. I haven't had time to figure out a way to keep it from swinging when travelling. I have the same swing arm on the wall at home.

I might even bolt another swing arm on the backside of the first one and mount a 19-inch computer monitor over the sink for TV watching and computer work at the same time. The laptop will be in the closet and only a wireless keyboard and mouse will be seen.

In the slightly out-of-focus picture below you can see how I made a quick bracket to mount the Sanus Systems MF215-B1 wall mount on the existing twisted bars support. I made it out of 1/8-inch thick steel bar stock. I was enjoying my first bowl of cereal with ice cold milk from my newly installed Dometic 2193 refrigerator last year.

I plan on working on the kitchen area of my Scamp in a few weeks after I get back home from the Oregon Gathering.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3443a.JPG  
__________________

__________________
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
This is the reason why supports are a good thing - this one was missing them and didnt make it through a snow fall......
Attached Thumbnails
small Craked egg cb's.jpg  
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
Best. Movie. Ever.
hmmmmnow that i think about it,,,my dad lost a leg at normandy,,,,wonder what ever happened to his wooden leg?
__________________
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
This is the reason why supports are a good thing - this one was missing them and didnt make it through a snow fall......
oh now wouldn't that just put a twist in your pretzel.
__________________
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
dylanear's Avatar
 
Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Richardson View Post
Since I'm going to make an actual plastic laminate (Formica) covered countertop for my kitchen cabinet I will have to make a new upper cabinet support, which I believe is the purpose of the twisted iron bars.

I will probably use two 1-inch square steel tubes or maybe splurge and use stainless steel which I can polish or brush. (Oooh, I like that idea!)

The hollow tubes will allow me to run wires through them up into the upper cabinet for computer sound system speakers that I will mount on both ends of the upper cabinet. The sub-woofer/amp unit is in the cabinet under the sink. I will also run 12 volt or 120 volt wiring through one of the tubes if necessary.

I will weld cross bars between the vertical tubes for a TV swing arm mount. This is my favorite place to mount a TV. No holes are drilled into any cabinets. I can watch TV in bed or swing the TV towards the kitchen or front couch.

The 22-inch TV I use on the road is the one I use in my bedroom at home. I just put it in the original box when travelling and mount it on the swing arm when stopped. I haven't had time to figure out a way to keep it from swinging when travelling. I have the same swing arm on the wall at home.

I might even bolt another swing arm on the backside of the first one and mount a 19-inch computer monitor over the sink for TV watching and computer work at the same time. The laptop will be in the closet and only a wireless keyboard and mouse will be seen.

In the slightly out-of-focus picture below you can see how I made a quick bracket to mount the Sanus Systems MF215-B1 wall mount on the existing twisted bars support. I made it out of 1/8-inch thick steel bar stock. I was enjoying my first bowl of cereal with ice cold milk from my newly installed Dometic 2193 refrigerator last year.

I plan on working on the kitchen area of my Scamp in a few weeks after I get back home from the Oregon Gathering.

Jeff
That sounds awesome! Please report on your progress and results!

Now I'm thinking more and more about calling welders tomorrow.
__________________
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
dylanear's Avatar
 
Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
This is the reason why supports are a good thing - this one was missing them and didnt make it through a snow fall......
Good thing my distaste for the looks of my support didn't overcome my concern about it's structural attributes!
__________________
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
Member
 
Name: Russ
Trailer: Boler
Minnesota
Posts: 62
I didn't like the look of iron either so I ended up replacing it with a wood frame that also supports a stainless backsplash and is mirrored on the other end of the countertop.

Russ

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4399.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	48631
__________________
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
dylanear's Avatar
 
Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL View Post
I didn't like the look of iron either so I ended up replacing it with a wood frame that also supports a stainless backsplash and is mirrored on the other end of the countertop.

Russ

Attachment 48631
That is very nice. Love the sink/stove with covers!

I've considered loosing my kitchen drawer for a burner like that.
__________________
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
That is very nice. Love the sink/stove with covers!

I've considered loosing my kitchen drawer for a burner like that.
You might not have to Dylan. I've been looking at those, and this one is only 3.56 in. deep.....


Smev 8000 cooktop hob
__________________
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
dylanear's Avatar
 
Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
You might not have to Dylan. I've been looking at those, and this one is only 3.56 in. deep.....


Smev 8000 cooktop hob
I'll do some measuring, I'd love the sleek look and extra food prep space!

Thanks for the link!
__________________
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #25
Member
 
Name: Russ
Trailer: Boler
Minnesota
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
You might not have to Dylan. I've been looking at those, and this one is only 3.56 in. deep.....


Smev 8000 cooktop hob
That's the one I have. As you can see I never had a drawer to begin with so I don't know how much clearance there would be. I ended up building a drawer underneath the fridge when I installed it but that's obviously not as convenient as one on top.

Russ
__________________
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I'll do some measuring, I'd love the sleek look and extra food prep space!

Thanks for the link!
No problem Dylan. But it comes at a price.... You have to let me/us know if it fits with the drawer!!!!
__________________
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Gilda's Avatar
 
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Posts: 1,226
Registry
Am I the only one who actually LIKES the black twisty bars? My 2011 Scamp came with the white twisty bars. When I asked Jim (at Scamp) if I could get black bars he said they don't make them anymore and I could paint the white ones black. I generally find that home paint jobs are not successful. As time goes by I suspect that the black will chip and reveal the white underneath. If anyone wants to swap out their black twisties for white ones I'd like to talk with you. I would prefer that you live in Northern California (SF Bay Area) for ease of swapping.
__________________
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Like this?
Looks too tall. Here is one currently on ebay that is 19" tall. Currently @ $1.00 and located on the west coast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	leglamp.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	48649

Or you could just use a fiberglass mannequin leg.
__________________

__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Window bars imbabyh Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 05-09-2012 10:23 AM
Sway Bars buddy hammond Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 5 02-27-2011 10:17 AM
Sway Bars Victor Benz Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 20 01-28-2010 08:50 PM
Sway bars. The Hobo Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 7 12-31-2008 12:56 PM
Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Griswold Waffle iron & more Gigi Classified Archives 2 06-23-2008 06:44 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.