Covering or replacing twisted iron bars? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbitWhitty View Post
Nice work! Between my rat fur and twisted bar removal you must think I'm a real Scampin' Rebel!
LOL trust me as you can see from my world it takes a bit more to be a rebel but always happy to see a rebel reach their goal
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #42

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Thankfully, we can make all our own decisions on the level of risk we want to take.

I don't like risking the considerable time and money I have in my Scamp. I don't particularly trust my roof's strength. I think I can make a support that I don't find visually objectionable.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #43

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Dylan,
I'll be glad to pay the postage. How can I contact you without being on the Forum?
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #44

British Columbia
I'm sending a personal messaage (PM) you can reply to that with a mailing address. Not sure when I'll have it removed, and I might be slow to ship out, but you can't beat my price!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #45

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Thankfully, we can make all our own decisions on the level of risk we want to take.

I don't like risking the considerable time and money I have in my Scamp. I don't particularly trust my roof's strength. I think I can make a support that I don't find visually objectionable.
I like the twisted bars but then mine is from the 70's so it sort of fits that era. And it hurts to say how well the bars go with the cushions.

I would not want to bet on a manufacturer purchasing and installing that support if they did not figure they needed to. Most won't add costs that they don't need to add. When you consider it breaks up the space the camper would probably appear larger inside without it, an additional reason to not add if not needed.

Agree, poor risk with all the work you have invested into it.

That is the beauty of these campers, they can be modified to suit your visual tastes. I'm betting you can get way better than not "objectionable". Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #46
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Thanks, folks, for disagreeing in an agreeable way.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #47

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
That is the beauty of these campers, they can be modified to suit your visual tastes. I'm betting you can get way better than not "objectionable". Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
As long as my painter doesn't mess it all up, and that is a fear at the moment, I think my interior remodel will be much closer to my taste than it was when I got it.

My solution so far is a very simple one. Not "cool" looking, just simply plain, unoffensive, hopefully matching the rest of my remodel.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #48

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary f View Post
thanks, folks, for disagreeing in an agreeable way.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #49

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
Scamp sent me a brochure last year. Cheesy and dated. That and the twisted bars made me wonder if product development stopped sometime in the eighties. I'm sure the product is good from all the owners here, but they could probably sell more with a refreshing of their materials..
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #50

British Columbia
They definitely have a "traditional" aesthetic. And they really haven't changed the look much since the 80's. White twisted bars instead of black? New cloth on the seats? I guess the Delux wood interiors are a newish option, but as nice as they are still don't look cutting edge by any means. But few RVs look truly modern or really well designed inside to me. Cheap looking materials dominate the industry even in some very expensive rigs.

Then there is this, almost too modern and fancy!!!!

Airstream, Inc :: Photos & Decor

And I'd hate to see the window sticker, that's not a cheap RV I'd bet.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #51

British Columbia
I have two nice smooth wooden dowels being painted with the rest of my woodwork BTW. So soon I'll be extracting the twisted bars.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #52

Name: kevin
Trailer: 1990 scamp 16ft
Kentucky
a little twist on the twist...

some old hand carved monks... these will replace my twists. I will sand them down, and stain them to match the rest of the walnut in my scamp. I will post some pics once finished.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3300.jpg  
ampline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #53
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Find a local supplier of stair parts, particularly metal spindles. You have your choice of plain (straight with no decoration), those with "knuckles" and those with "baskets". Two cut to the correct length and a flat bar welded to both ends would still satisfy the structural aspect and look great.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #54

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Some simple tube like solution can surely be procured!
i still think a fiberglass ladies leg, (think leg lamp) would look great,specialy is it was illuminated from inside,,but wifey just won't go for it.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote