Cowgirl Glamping - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #41

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
I wanted to add sheves quickly so I can start using it. I'll do more custom shelves later. I had the folding metal shelves in the basement and they fit perfectly. I secured them to each other and the wall with large plastic zip ties and its quite stable.
The picture looks like these shelves are leaning, but they're not. Its actually straight when I look at. But then maybe that's because I had a couple of margaritas before I looked at it last.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #42

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Ok---we've GOT to meet! I just finished a margarita !!!! I better go to bed---it's 10:42 pm here in the Midwest! Good job, Linda!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #43

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Got any "Theme Ideas" for something like this?

Backyard Photo Shoot
Carl,
That Little Snoozy is awsome. There's all kinds of theme ideas you could go with. Just pick what makes you smile and feel cozy and run with it. Fishing, biking, animals, old school, Finding Big Foot??? The possibilities are endless.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #44

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
You're making me miss my "Bean". (Coffee theme)so much! He's sitting in his storage shed wondering why we've forsaken him for a 21 ft Winnebago Minnie complete with 26 inch flat screen TV and bathroom complete with shower, stool, closet, sink. It's because Mr.B doesn't like a small camper. I can see I'm gonna have to learn to hitch Bean up myself and go somewhere!! I put my blood, seat and tears into that sweetie and I wanna camp in him!
You and your husband sound like us. We actually have an '07 Airstream we bought new with all the bells and whistles. It makes me blush to say we're going "camping" in it. Because it sure doesn't feel like what I think camping is. So that's why I bought the little Scamper.
You should joing "Sisters on the Fly". You'll have plenty of ladies just like yourself that just love to have fun in their old vintage trailers. Check it out if you haven't yet. Just google it.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #45

California
Registry
storage and Ikea

A couple of my favorite Ikea finds and mods:
1. I looked for a stove burner cover for months for extra counter space. Then I saw this top to a storage system for only $8. With 4 little legs on it you don't even have to customize it. Just twist the little legs and they fit over the range snuggly.
ALGOT Top shelf for frame - IKEA
2. Magnetic spice tins on the side of my range hood. I'll use them on the backsplash too for spices, mini sewing kit, little treasure finds while camping (gold nuggets). They have strong magnets that won't come off while towing. $5 per 3pack. Search result - IKEA
3. I needed a spot to hang my wet towel that could swing out over the bed, but be out of the way when its dry. So I bought this for $8. To fit the space I cut a couple of inches off of the bars with a my grinder/cutter. The white sleek design works well with the molded fiberglass. ENUDDEN Towel holder - IKEA
4. This little covered trash can fits perfectly under my sink.
FILUR Bin with lid - 11 gallon - IKEA
5. I thought the white LED lights at the end of each upper cabinet was a good choice because it reminded my of a 70s style light. Can't remember where I bought it on line but they were about $30 each.
6. I found the front cabinet over the sofa unusable because of the door opening size. I took the door off this week and cut the opening larger. Its so much easier to store and access items. An easy free fix.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020636.jpg   P1020637.jpg  

Old 07-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #46

Name: Leah
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
Sounds great!
LeahTookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #47

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Steve and Rosemary. I had planned to use Allure too, but when I went to purchase it, they didn't have the Allure in my local store and had this other brand. I'll have to look at the box and see what it is. It was cheaper though and I really liked it because its 4' long and I didn't have to have seams. It went in really easily and is holding up well so far. So easy to live with and better than carpet for sure.
I painted the fridge and the magnetic backsplash with Rustoleum primer and then Rustoleum Ultra Color 2x in "Apple Red".

Perfect, thanks for that; I think our fridge is missing the metal trim and it's all the plastic stuff in beige. We may have to take the whole door off and paint it with something. I love the RED!

Also, I love your curtains, drapes, and rods. I bought some vintage-style bark cloth for ours but I've been reluctant to start them because we have the crappy rods that are stock with Scamps, not to mention the crappy "hooks" upon which they rest and from which they constantly fall down. Is there any way you could give me some tips on how to move forward? Did you have to rivet your new rods? We haven't done that yet so we're both feeling nervous about it. I'd also appreciate closeups of your "attachments" to the rods; I was thinking of making fabric loops on the backs but it's a lot of work. And are those home made Roman shades? Really? What an awesome idea.

I know you're busy and have lots of plans in the near future; we're working on other stuff right now so the curtains aren't totally pressing but ANY photos and advice you can give would be SO appreciated. You're one crafty gal and it shows -- your glamping has turned out wonderfully!!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #48

Registry
A couple of other questions.... One, those two LED lights -- are they hooked to power or do they run on batteries? And two, I'm trying to think of a clever towel holder like your horse shoes (noticed those immediately!) but we're doing more of a musical/retro theme. Steve plays the guitar, piano, mandolin, yuke, harmonica and I play the violin. Any ideas, anyone? We have a ton of guitar strings but I don't know if I can use them for this. Ha! Thanks again for the inspiration and have fun on the fly!

Here's the curtain fabric we're going to use (for your inspiration):

http://www.loomshowroom.com/shop/Rem...ku-OSBK101.htm
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #49

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
A couple of other questions.... One, those two LED lights -- are they hooked to power or do they run on batteries?
Here's the curtain fabric we're going to use (for your inspiration):
Hi Rosemary,
The LED lights run off the 12v batteries. They use practically no energy so you don't have to watch the usage much. Its not a REALLY bright light at night. I have to be under it for reading and for everything else its adequate. It would be perfect if I add one more which I will do later.
I love that fabric. I've seen it before and I'm always drawn to vintage fabrics. I used to collect vintage fabrics and make quirkly clothes (especially kids clothes) out of them and decorative things like pillows and curtains. My husband plays guitar so I'm done some music decorating for his music rooms. Off hand the only thing I can think of for a towel bar is either drum sticks (maybe criss-crossed)across the iron bars or a really old tambourine or even one of the new ones like thiis (but I'm sure they have cheaper ones) or even a cute little kids tambourine. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...FVRk7AodGw4A3Q

Or this one may be a good price on Ebay

High Quality TEF Tambourine Def RIQ Riqq | eBay

Re the curtain rods, I'll post that picture when I return from camping. I used this Ikea system. KVARTAL Top and bottom rail - IKEA
I had hope to use the same holes as the previous old rods. I couldn't line up both holes though and had to make a new hole and fill one of the old holes. I've been using marine epoxy putty though and you can't see where the old hole was. I use rivets to mount them but you could use little nuts and bolts too. You can also top mount them too if you have shelves or the cabinets above your window. Its a nice system.
Although you can't easily see through the Scamp windows I lined the drapes to make them last longer and they just hang nicer that way too. I didn't use blackout lining beause I like the light filtering through a bit.
The sides windows are little roman shades I made with a valance the trim the top nicely. They're not difficult to make. Just a straight piece of fabric, little pockets for wooden dowels, small rings to run cording through, and they all run to one side with a plastic pull. Here's the website I used to make some for my house. I didn't make this one quite as elaborate because they're small and don't need to be very beefy. This is a great website that tells you everything you need. You can order supplies from her or get them from a fabric store. The site has very detailed instructions. I can't wait to see whay you do with your trailer.

Free Instructions - How to Make Roman Shades | Terrell Designs

I hope this helps. I'll keep thinking of other possibilities for the music theme. I love that idea.

If that doesn't
Old 07-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #50

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
A couple of other questions.... One, those two LED lights -- are they hooked to power or do they run on batteries?
I don't think I was clear Rosemary. The lights are hooked up to the trailers battery wiring. They also have the battery type but I haven't found any that put out enough light.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #51

Registry
Thanks for the tips! I really like the tambourine idea for the towel holder -- we may even have one of them laying around!

Thanks also for the curtain system link. I was hoping to find a double system but I guess I could just use a "triple" if I need to. I'm going to line our curtains as well and I'd also like to use a sheer fabric closest to the window so we can let light in and have some privacy.

Good tip on the epoxy to fill holes -- we have some holes inside and outside that I need to fill. Any particular brand that you use?

We have yet to do any riveting or drilling out of rivets. Folks here have assured me that it's nothing to be afraid of but we're still pretty hesitant. I may just make the curtains and wait a bit on the new system -- need to do some more research and build up my courage!

Anyways, thanks again and have fun on your camping trip. Your Scamp looks awesome!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #52

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
You rock!!!

This is just awesome. I love the pics! The vibe is so cool.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #53

California
Registry
Rosemary, I don't know the brand but it comes in a little plastic cylinder about 6" long and an inch in diameter. I buy it at True Value Hardware, but other independents will have it as well as marine supply. The riveting isn't hard, just takes 2 people on the inside and outside.
The rod wall bracket actually is for 2 or 3 rails so it should work for you.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #54

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Rosemary,

Before you drill any holes or run out and get a new curtain hanging system I'd like to share our "work-around" to the less than desirable curtain rods and holders that come with the Scamp. I, too, was frustrated with curtain rods constantly falling out of the holders when towing.

Please note: The photos attached are with the original Scamp curtain rods and before I used the following "manual roll-up shade system". I'll update photos when I can.

I bought cafe curtain rods from Walmart (although I think any cafe curtain rod will work). While not top quality they do the job well. The rod itself is thicker in diameter and has finials on the ends, therefore it fits snugly into the original rod holders and don't bounce out of place. Like all cafe curtain rods, they are adjustable so they fit the wide front and back windows as well as the narrower side windows. Some of the finials are coming loose. I think I'll just need to glue them to the rod (not the rod holder). I may reinforce the rods by putting a narrow dowel or tent pole cut to size in the tube.

We do like to have a "blacked out" cabin when we are sleeping so the neighbors' headlights don't blind us. As a result, I created simple black out shades. (see photos) I cut a piece of Ron-Loc fabric (curtain liner fabric available at most fabric stores) to the inside width measurement (between the curtain rod hangers) and much longer than the height of the window (to allow for overlap above and below. I sewed a channel on the top (1/2") and bottom (1"). Use your original Scamp curtain bar to put through the top channel. Sew 3" Velcro pieces (hook side)along the bottom. (We put one continuous length of Velcro on the one short window where our heads lie in bed. This keeps out any cold draft from the windows.) Additionally and optionally, you can put a flat piece of wood in the bottom channel. Hang the shade by resting the extended curtain rods on top of the curtain rod holders. To roll up or down simply un-hook the Velcro and manually roll the shade. It will stay in the "up" position when parked and in the "down" position when moving. Keep this "low-tech" shade in the "up" position in the daytime and the "down" position at night or while towing.

I made "tie-backs" out of fabric. They attach to the "rat fur" with Velcro (the hook side). I can tie back the curtains when I want them open and they add a retro look. (see photo)

As you can see by my photos, I prefer to keep the original Scamp curtains in the middle to let in light. I vary the theme by making curtain panels for the ends.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 011.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 012.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #55

California
Registry
Hi Linda,
You've proven yourself as an expert glamper with this project! It's great to see a fellow glamper's masterpiece!

I too, love to glamp. Attached is a photo of our Southwest theme used for our recent 3 week trip to Utah's five national parks; Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Canyonlands and Arches.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 004.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #56

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna, we have a daughter in Portland and my hub's college roommate. We get to Portland fairly often. So I've got a feeling we'll meet even if I can't make it up for the gathering. You're my kinda people too. Your profile picture says it all.
Linda, when you've firmed up plans to come to PDX, send me a PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me as much notice as you can (can you cram your trailer into your suitcase so I can see it? )

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #57

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I like the paper towel holder. It blends right in. What was it originally? For Ice Blocks?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #58

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I like the paper towel holder. It blends right in. What was it originally? For Ice Blocks?
Thanks Roy. Yep, from the old days when everyone had "ice boxes" instead of fridges. So there are a lot of them around. But they're mostly pretty large. This one is smaller and fits the space well.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #59

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Is there such a thing as "Navy Bistro?"

We were out messun round down Route 66 today.
Stopped at a truck stop and found some of the souvenirs I've
been wanting, but they were twice the price I have been paying,
so will wait until I find "my" prices.

I've been searching for mud flaps and the kind I want are impossible
to find. One stop was Osechelin (sp) farm supply and I found just the
right "type" so I can customize them to make them my own.

And at the last WalMart we stopped at I found the battery tester (plug-in style)
I've been looking for. Don't know why they had them and no one else did, but they
were also on clearance. Mud flaps were also on clearance. That's how I shop.

Yes, I am a big ol' TIGHT WAD! [unless you want the shirt off my back]
Then I'm EASY.

Saw many western and cowboy things and thought of this thread.
And saw a few things I could possibly use as a theme, but wife nixed 'em.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #60

California
Registry
Hi Carl,
Huh? ...a "Navy Bistro"? Are you joking?
I, too, love to find just the right accessory for my trailer. I keep in mind my theme(s) while scouring the thrift stores and often find just what I need. Take a look at my Southwest theme photos. Let me know what you're looking for and I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya!
Attached Thumbnails
077.jpg   078.jpg  

SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 004.jpg