I've been doing lots of fun updates to my little "Rhinestone Bunkhouse" for the last few weeks. When I first got it, the goal was to make it safe and dry. So I did the following with the help of my new friends here on FGRV.
- Cleaned up the rats nest of wiring. Its still not finished, I have to add 12v fuse box, but its at least what I think is safe with careful monitoring not to overload anything and watch my usage.
- Caulked around the windows with butyl tape and non silicone caulking.
- Replaced the weatherstipping around every window and the door.
- Replaced the glazing around the windows. They were origingal and missing big chunks and the PO had filled them with silicone.
- Cleaned out old caulk and caulked around the belly band.
- Replaced the battery with the largest 12v that would fit the battery box. Everstart Maxx Group 29. EverStart Maxx Group Size 29 Marine Battery: Automotive : Walmart.com
- New Thetford Porta Potti 320P. Size is perfect with room to spare. Yes this was a saftey mod. Do you know what a 35 year old PP looks like? Uck. 4 gal fresh and 3.2 waste. So easy to empty. Is this TMI???
- Installed a 100w flexible solar panel and MPPT controller. So far I've run everything off the 12v without concern. Its the best mod I think so far.
- Oh wait, maybe solar wasn't the best mod...there was the Fantastic Fan I installed and wired. Luckily I'm able to manage without air conditioning where I camp, with the aid of the FF. I may eat my words if global warming continues to mess up California weather.
- Removed 2 layers of carpet and replaced with vinyl faux rustic wood planks.
Then I started glamping her up.
- I made new curtains. Of course I used vintage cowboy barkcloth.
- decorated in cowgirl all the way (Practically)
- I'm painting the cabinet doors today aqua. The contrasting color that I'm using a lot of is red. Love it.
Of course I'll post pictures Donna. Heres the first and more to come as I get the doors installed and clean up the little bunkhouse for its debut photo shoot.
Its a perfect day for painting
. Temperature are warm but not too hot, and low humidity. Preping is everything. Today I removed the doors, removed the hardware, filled holes, sanded, primed with Kilz, and appied 3 coats (so far backs only). I bought new hardware, but I'm taking one of the hinges to the hardware store to see if I can find black hinges to match the handles with the same hole configuration. I've refinished lots of cabinets and the hardest thing is getting the doors to line up properly with new hinge. I don't like to paint
hinges, but I will if I can't find new ones to match the old ones.