Crazy Compact Jr Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Hunter
Missouri
Crazy Compact Jr Question

Hi all,

Okay, after camping this past weekend for the first time in the Compact Jr, it occurred to me that the fridge is nothing but an ice box. Would it be heresy to turn the ol' fridge into a swamp cooler?

Think about it...drill two holes with a hole saw, put a small fan over one, fill the fridge with ice...and voila!...hillbilly air conditioning!

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Doug
luptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #2

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
LOL

to funny
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm... About the only thing more Hill Billy would be if you filled your icebox with super frozen Budweiser, blew a fan over those, and then drink them as they thaw to help forget about the heat

But, if you are serious, that's not how swamp coolers work. They depend on, and will only work, where the humidity is lower than 50%. Basically all you would get is a cool breeze about 24" out and a lot of moisture inside your trailer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #4

Name: Kath
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
I love my ice box....drilling holes and blowing air would only melt the ice faster....dry ice for longer trips works great!
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Ice coolers do work- slightly. Not worth much, though. I don't recommend Dry Ice in an icebox in an enclosed trailer (should be safe enough in a Compact if the top is up). I did the math- a good chunk of Dry Ice subliming in the space of a trailer could reach toxic levels.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm... About the only thing more Hill Billy would be if you filled your icebox with super frozen Budweiser, blew a fan over those, and then drink them as they thaw to help forget about the heat

But, if you are serious, that's not how swamp coolers work. They depend on, and will only work, where the humidity is lower than 50%. Basically all you would get is a cool breeze about 24" out and a lot of moisture inside your trailer.
It's most likely that most of you have never used a auto swamp cooler, have you? It was something that was sold in the 1940's long before A/C's in autos became common!

It was a round metal device that was placed in the front passenger's window with a open snout facing forward into the air stream. When a person wanted a blast of "cool" air they would pull a line that would rotate a straw-like mat into a water bath. The air would pass thru the straw-like mat, and into the auto.

As Bob wrote there was a little cool air and a lot of moisture. But, it was better than nothing in the 100 to 120 degree temps. when crossing Arizona in the middle of July! But, not a great deal better because the other windows in the auto had to be kept closed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	auto swamp cooler.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	83953

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Kar Kooler (one brand name) were in use well into the early 60's as is shown on the 1961(?) Corvair in the pic..

We had one on our 1951 Pontiac, with which we pulled a 12' Masonite sided trailer in about 1954.

About 10-12 years ago I bought one for $5 at a yard sale and, as they are very popular for restored air-cooled VW's, I resold it for $300 at a VW Show/Swap Meet.

Floor mounted swamp coolers were seen pre- WWII and I once had one that correct for a 1937 Packard restoration.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Kar Kooler (one brand name) were in use well into the early 60's as is shown on the 1961(?) Corvair in the pic..

We had one on our 1951 Pontiac, with which we pulled a 12' Masonite sided trailer in about 1954.

About 10-12 years ago I bought one for $5 at a yard sale and, as they are very popular for restored air-cooled VW's, I resold it for $300 at a VW Show/Swap Meet.

Floor mounted swamp coolers were seen pre- WWII and I once had one that correct for a 1937 Packard restoration.
Bob, your comment about a 12' Masonite sided trailer brought back some very old memories for me. In or about 1955 -1956 I bought a 12' Masonite sided trailer in Oklahoma City for $100, stripped out the insides, and used it at a rural Real Estate Office for a couple of years.

I still have the tiny sink and lower kitchen cabinet. They are installed today in my underground storm shelter.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
I still have the tiny sink and lower kitchen cabinet. They are installed today in my underground storm shelter. Bill
Now that's recycling
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote