Crazy idea? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #21

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
no problem

I added the largest size of escape hatch right in the middle of the roof of my 13' scamp. I have seen no issues with cracking and to be perfectly honest the roof is a lot stronger and stiffer then it was when I started. If you were being really paranoid you could add some extra fiber glass on the two ends of the vent/sunroof to tie it into the sharply curved sides of the camper. The extra fiberglass would provide a little extra strength while remaining flexible around the rigid corners of the vent/sunroof.

In terms of insulation I generally keep two layers of reflectix insultion between the screeen and the plastic top. I take them out when I want to open the vent.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #22

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
In terms of insulation I generally keep two layers of reflectix insultion between the screeen and the plastic top. I take them out when I want to open the vent.

That would also take care of that nasty sun-in-your-eyes-in-the-morning problem too!
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #23

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
I added the largest size of escape hatch right in the middle of the roof of my 13' scamp.
Don't suppose you've got any pictures?
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Michael this is the escape hatch that Scamp sells.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #25

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
Wow, I had no idea I'd get so many interesting replies! I see we have a lot of puritans who like to keep their trailers the way they came from the factory, and then there are those of us who see them a blank canvases, and like to customize and personalize them. Once I cut the oval holes for the portholes, I was hooked on cutting, and now want to dig into the roof. I think some of the craziest ideas turn out to be the best. As far as an automotive sunroof is concerned, they are pretty much made for flat roofs, or slightly curved ones, whereas my roof has a more pronounced curve, so I really need something more flexible, like Sunbrella frabric with maybe a few curved ribs to prevent water puddles from forming. I have the idea in my head, but don't have the technical skills to put in on paper. I like the idea of the pre-made kits, but I'm pretty sure my roof is thicker than that of a car's. Thanks one and all for your comments and insights, and I'll keep you posted. In the meantime we're loving our portholes. By the way, how do I add a photo from my laptop screen to my post here?
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Filbert,

If you are truly serious a good metal shop the works with aluminum or stainless could build you a reinforcing frame, much like two picture frames to sandwich the existing roof without losing structural integrity. That could include mounting provisions for a commercial product like a skylight window that has a proven track record.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Some years of Bigfoot have Skylights. It's not my trailer, I wish you much success!

I followed Mike Watters thread when he was trying to seal up his bubble skylight. Looked totally cool, in reality.. wasn't as functional as he hoped and it was STOCK.

If you're really thinking of a canvas, pull back top like on a convertible... don't forget the screens. You're going to NEED something to prevent bugs from inhabiting your space. Or maybe you don't mind mosquitoes, etc?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #28

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert V. View Post
By the way, how do I add a photo from my laptop screen to my post here?
I'm a technomoron, but here attempting to answer:

If the pic's on your screen and you can copy the url, just do that and paste it in using what we techies refer to as "the teenytiny mountain icon thingy" () at the top of the reply box.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You might think abaout one of these kits. I installed one of these into a 1973 super beetle about 4 years ago.

http://www.slidingragtops.com/18.html?sm=76493
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #30
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The fewer holes in the roof, the happier I am. That said, the thread might give you some ideas. Good luck, Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ngs-61020.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #31

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
To whoever trying to do the roof vent/ sun roof/ moon roof for trailer camper...As my own experience indicates...screws are better than rivets in term of leaking prevention. As my choice, I used aluminum screws. After finish screwing ( with butyl beam under-neath and the work is done with the help from a friend who stays inside the trailer and pushes up the ceiling frame while I am screwing it), jumping right on top of trailer and spraying with maximum pressure you could from garden hose. Leakage (or not) will tell you right there when you get inside the trailer and check it out...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote