Crazy idea? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
Crazy idea?

Well I've nixed the idea of installing an automotive pop-up sunroof, or RV escape hatch, and am now thinking along the lines of a sliding ragtop. I'm thinking I could probably build my own version, making a frame of wood or metal, and then having an upholstery shop sew a snap on type of soft roof covering that could be completely removed, maybe using those riveted metal snap thingys? Am I nuts, or just creative????

Some good examples are found here: Sliding Ragtop Kits Homepage
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The kits shown looks nice and I thought were surprisingly inexpensive.

But, if you look at a real ragtops you will find that they are much more complicated that a cover with snaps over an opening.

Other than keeping it on while driving, keeping it from leaking when it rains and not destroying the structural integrity of the roof, all you have to worry about is that most
future potential buyers will not see it as a good idea either. And you would have to climb on an already weak roof to take it off and put it back on.

And there is always the issue of unwanted visitors when you leave it open, not to mention keeping warm when it gets cold outside.

Maybe you could just mount an action-cam on the roof and gaze at the sky on a flat screen monitor (LOL)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
With an opening such as you are talking about, I think that you are pretty much guaranteed to have some leaks. I would be especially worried about likelihood of leaks occurring while driving through heavy rainfall. Water in those situations seems to find every possible entry point.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #4

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
Oh c'mon folks, I need some encouraging comments for my crazy ideas! I think the roof could handle a 24X40 inch piece missing out of it without it caving in. It's actually pretty strong up there, but would not withstand a rollover accident! Well I'm not planning any major cross country trips, but just weekend getaways near San Diego. As far as rain is concerned, we're in our 100 year drought cycle now And as for resale value, I'll be dead and gone before my trailer is ever listed for sale. Heck, they may have to bury me in it!
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #5

Name: Rod
Trailer: 1984 Dolphin
Wisconsin
Why not just install a sun roof like on a car?
Ace57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #6

The entire structural integrity of FGRV's depends on the entire shell remaining somewhat intact. Even removing some of the inside walls can make the entire thing somewhat shaky. With a big hole up there, the weight of the overhead cabinets bouncing around while towing could soon starts cracks in the sidewalls.

I forgot to mention in my first post, your proposed cover will turn into a small swimming pool liner in the rain and, when it fills up the water will run over the edges and into your coach.

And, did you happen to look outside this A.M.??? While the drought is far from over, the next two days promise to bring more than enough rain to SOCal to give any such cover a run for the money. I have seen what happens to FGRV's with a missing roof vent cover in a light rain and it ain't pretty

And keeping it forever? We have all said that...... I am now on my 9th FGRV, 4th towable. Only certain STD's are really "forever" .

I support you idea about the same that I support towing over towing limits, running generators on the tongue, and spitting into the wind..... LOLOLOL

Old 02-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Wouldn't an escape hatch from a Scamp work for you? You can open it like a regular vent with a built in screen, or you can fully flip it open for that full no screen open look.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Nuts!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Put a black one with pin holes in it and sleep under the stars during the day.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #10

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Respectfully suggest buying a second trailer to put the ragtop in, and keeping the first trailer so you still have something to go camping in.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #11

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
When thinking about my new-to-me Amerigo on the other hand... I'm resistant to installing even a reasonable roof vent in it. Why? It doesn't have one now and I'd have to cut through that perfectly good - perfectly solid - perfectly waterproof roof to install it.

On the other hand... I've found myself looking at either Westphalia roofs or even some of the taller van raised roofs. Why? Fiberglass it to the roof, install a mattress and call it the trailer's "upstairs". I don't think I'm gonna DO it - but it'd be cool.
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #12

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Tote & Tarry Compact, Jr?

In the spirit of brainstorming, providing constructive comments, and addressing the idea of structural integrity, what are the construction details for the FGRVs that have a pop-top (e.g., Hunter Compacts)?
Could reinforcement be created in the roof of the Tote&Tarry?
Could Filbert create something similar that could also be fully or partially flipped or slid open to provide the view desired?
Could the end result provide the desired modification, remain safe and secure during travel, and provide security against bugs & weather?
Just my $.02
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #13

Name: Gina
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Arizona
Yes crazy idea. You should do it.
aznative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
In the spirit of brainstorming, providing constructive comments, and addressing the idea of structural integrity, what are the construction details for the FGRVs that have a pop-top (e.g., Hunter Compacts)?
Could reinforcement be created in the roof of the Tote&Tarry?
Could Filbert create something similar that could also be fully or partially flipped or slid open to provide the view desired?
Could the end result provide the desired modification, remain safe and secure during travel, and provide security against bugs & weather?
Just my $.02
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Because I don't know Filbert I can't even begin to guess what he "Can" do....

However, in the case of the Hunter Compact-II, there is a 3" high flange surrounding the roof opening that mates with a overlapping top that adds stiffness to the roof opening and pretty much precludes any rain intrusion.

In addition, there are at least four wall sections (2 on each side) that lend support to the sides and roof to support the roof and hold everything in place.

In short, unlike an Egg shaped camper, it was designed to be that way. But, in spite of that, the Hunters are well know for sagging roof sections and tops that make great wading pools for pollywogs after a good rain.

The best bet (if there is any best bet) might be the automotive sunroof idea because at least it is engineered to not leak, can be opened and closed at will, and appears to have a metal frame surrounding it that will put some strength and shape back into the top. That said, I wouldn't compromise a roof to install one.

And, at about $400 it seems a reasonable solution that might not result in the entire loss of the trailer.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Looks doable to me so long as the cutout is properly reinforced. The kits at the link come with a frame, but since it's probably designed for steel further reinforcement of the cutout seems wise. Aluminum channel would probably do for the purpose.

As for leak potential, that exists anywhere one puts a hole. This kit's designed for cars, the owners of which are surely just as eager to keep water out as any of us could be!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I paid $500 to have a purposefully designed and manufactured fabric sunroof installed in my Fiat 128 Sport Coupe by a company that sold and installed them.
It leaked. Not right away, but it leaked.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #17

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Automobile moon-roof/sun-roof for trailer.

Several weeks ago, before throwing his car to the junk yard, my friend offered me a free powered moon-roof in that car. Due to the cold weather and time limited, I didn't have chance to cut out that moon-roof. I already had in my mind to install a powered moon-roof for the Trillium-right on top of rear dinette area- I think this is do-able- I did by myself the roof-vent for the trailer and it works beautiful, with a powerful sucking fan. This is a creative idea. I will save it for the next chance. Make sure to cut the moon-roof out of the car top with a lot of extra room( more metal), build a wood/aluminum frame for trailer ceiling and do not forget room for electrical switches. That is my thought...Please post your photos if anyone had done it. My project in this summer consists of a..snap-on window air conditioner on wheels and of course...the moon roof ...too.
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #18

Name: Allan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Oregon
Buy a tent
Old 02-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
This idea got a much better reception when Robert Johans announced that he's contemplating such an addition to his soon-to-be-produced "Nest Caravan". Maybe different folks reading that thread?

Here quoting from post #119 at this link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Hi everybody. Quick update on our progress...

Bryan Thompson has added some nice "automotive" styling details to our design, and we're currently hard at work finessing the engineering to accommodate the new look.

Couple notes of interest: we're switching over to a Kinro window that has a very clean "frameless" look — again, very automotive in its styling. And, we are very seriously considering adding up front (as an option) a retractable, "ragtop" moonroof — for sleeping under the stars!

We haven't made an "official" announcements about the re-design on our website yet, but I'm happy to let you guys take a peek at where we're at, as of this writing. What do you think?
Someone there did mention leak potential and this was Robert's response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post

About the "moonroof": of course, we won't be offering a product that leaks, but keep in mind these things have been available and installed on automobiles for a long time, so we have high confidence they should work for us. If not, adios!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #20

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I've mentioned this before elsewhere - but depending on the specifics of the sunroof/moonroof/etc - Our PlayPac had a big plexiglass dome in the roof. Leaking was avoided (at least temporarily) with a sufficient amount of Acrylic caulk.

However... having the sun shine in through the roof in the morning drove me nuts. I could shade the side windows - but shading that darn roof bubble just wasn't gonna happen. Personally - I'm all for sleeping late on vacations and the roof bubble didn't help.

Just another, less technical, consideration.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote