Crazy solar idea? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #21

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Sadly I no longer have the van. It was getting up there in mileage and not being mechanically inclined, I needed something I could rely on for a tow vehicle. Yo have made me think though that 2 smaller panels might be the way to go.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
T... I am interested to know now what types of batteries you are using and what battery configuration would be good for a 100 w panel.
In order to size your panel(s) and battery (batteries), you first have to know your power usage. With that said, I am a light power user (no furnace), and unless I have a multi-day cloudy patch, in summer I get by just fine with a 100 watt panel and the larger standard Scamp supplied group 27 battery. YMWV (your milage WILL vary).

Some more light reading for you:
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #23

Name: Dan
Trailer: SOLD - Lil Snoozy 2014
East Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Just putting my solar panel idea out there for reactions. Is this a crazy idea?
I would like to put solar on my trailer but having spent one season patching holes and fixing the roof, I do not want to put new holes anywhere if there is another way. Nor do I want to have to climb up to set them up when I stop. I would also rather not use a suitcase style panel, since I do not have a lot of storage space and they are more subject to theft.
I am thinking of making a second rock guard to put on the rear window and attaching a flexible panel to that. I would then make a cover out of heavy vinyl fabric ( like spare tire cover) to cover the whole thing when traveling. This would be mainly to prevent vandalism.
At the campsite I would just have to remove the cover and be ready to go. I would hope to park with the rear of the trailer in the sun and have several different angles possible for the panel.
In fixing the interior framing, I have put additional bracing above the window for this type of thing or a possible awning.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
PatriciaD,

I also had the same question as you. My solution was to install a 100 watt solar panel on my SUV luggage rack and run the electrical connection through the 7-way pin connector.

Here is my thread titled:"I INSTALLED A SOLAR PANEL FOR MY LIL SNOOZY" Along with pictures.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ozy-74408.html

Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Dan
HomeCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #24

Name: dawn
Trailer: U haul ct 13
West Virginia
Mounting solar panel over the rear window (like a rock guard) is not a new idea. It has been done by others with success. We chose this option because we like being able to tilt the panel towards the sun and we did not want it on the roof because we have a rack that goes over our roof so it didnt make sense. I think its a clean look on the back over the window and safer from getting hit by a tree branch as opposed to a roof mount. Ours is a 100w renogy panel (not flexible). It fits over the rear window like it was made for it. We have a 13ft u-haul. Good luck!
WV Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:04 AM   #25

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
For those trying to fit a panel into non-standard space, Zamp came out with a long thin 80W panel.

ZS-US-80L-30A-DX

They say designed for curved roofs.

Of course the next one down on that page is a flex panel too.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Colorado
Before mounting directly to a fiberglass roof I would measure the top and bottom temperatures of the panel on a relatively hot day while it is generating the max amount of electricity. Fiberglass isn't a good thermal conductor so the heat buildup under the panel will radiate into the roof insulation and over time may cause problems to the interior under the panel. Aluminum is an excellent thermal conductor and will easily dissipate the heat buildup so tests done on Airstream trailers may not be valid on a fiberglass unit.

I am thinking about making a removable solar panel sun awning out of pvc or aluminum angle and designing it so it could attach to the back or rear side windows or just sit out somewhere in the sun.
Silver River is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar