Creating A Cargo Net - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Creating A Cargo Net

While traveling with our Scamp we like to have the table down in the bed configuration. And, we like to store odds and ends both under the bed and on top of the bed. The stuff under stays in place (likely due to wedging). But the stuff on top inevitably shifts and falls to the floor.

One of this spring's projects will be to create a removable 'cargo net' for while in travel. It will stretch the brief span from the side of the sink cabinet to the side of the closet. And it will not be taller than the counter top.

Before I do so, I am turning to you all. Have any of you created anything similar? If so, would you share a description or even a picture or two?

Thanks. David.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
We usually put the various loose stuff into plastic crates and set them on the floor. It works reasonably well and we've been on some rough roads. The cargo net sounds like a nice idea, there must be somebody here who tried it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
We also keep our bed set up most of the time and had the same problem with our things sliding out from under the bed.

We found an old SUV cargo net at a thrift store. Thrift stores are great places to find fun gadgets for our trailers. I trimmed it to fit the opening under our dinette opening and threaded a couple bungees through the netting to stretch across at the top and bottom. I used 3M command hooks (hung sideways) to attach the bungees to the walls next to the dinette benches. It's been working great for a couple years now. When we are camping we remove the top bungee to gain access to things and keep the lower one attached.

Sorry I can't share a picture as our Scamp is stored right now.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Check Harbor Freight. They have a couple of types of cargo nets with bungees in their catalog at reasonable prices.

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you "google" you'll find some examples like what I did using nylon cord and just tying it so that you have the squares the size you want. I would price ready-made against making your own.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Advance Auto or JC Whitney will have cargo nets, similar to ones installed in trunks to hold groceries. Here are Amazon's choices http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=cargo+nets
Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
David---we also find that certain things "jump" off the bed and end up on the floor. What I do is to take our bed pillows and tuck them under the bedquilt, making like a wall between "the stuff" and the edge of our bed. Since I started doing that, the problem has been eliminated.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
We use the rubber mesh for under rugs on top of the bedding and between items. Our solar panels travel this way and have never moved.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Netting Knots

I am sure that whatever you need will be on the [pardon the pun] net. Tying It All Together [TIAT] on Youtube has a wealth of info on knots if you are interested in building a custom fit. I also have an excellent book on net building but I will not be home until some time in mid-April. Send me a PM if you would like me to forward the information at that time.
Scouter Dave.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
We hung a cargo net from a retired car from a couple of macrame hooks under the overhead front cupboard. Great for overnight clothes or for wet gear on a rainy day.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: Scamp / 1949 Hudson
Florida
A friend gave me a shoe bag that I hung on the wall in the bathroom. It holds all the small small stuff. It can be seen on Always an adventure.... we Meander in Slow Motion and Lingerawhile.
CandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #12

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
Barbara,

I will be transporting a "book" portable solar panel system this year also, and would like to have something to prevent the panels from moving around.

Did you mean you use the rubbery mesh type stuff that has a honeycomb pattern in it, or the foam pad stuff that woodworkers use to keep wooden pieces from moving around when working on them, or do you use something else.

Thanks,
Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
We use mostly the rubberized mesh which i believe is meant to keep scatter rugs from sliding. The rubberized shelf lining would probably work just as well.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #14

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
Thanks Barbara, now there are three stabilizing options to consider.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:18 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We had a similar dllema. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ves-47934.html

Will Velcro stick to Rat Fur? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote