Ct 13 back window suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #1

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: Uhaul ct-13
Michigan
Ct 13 back window suggestions

I a have searched and read different things but I like current answers that are directed towards me. I am in need of a back window for my uhaul. What are my options? My last option in the world would be to rebuild because the amount of silicone on it overwhelms me and I want no part of it. My time could be spent camping rather than scraping a window for the next 4 weekends. Any suggestions of what you know works in its place?
uhaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bob installed a Scamp window.

Someone here found a reasonable source for custom made windows and had a side window made. That same source might make you a rear window. Teardrop Trailer Parts

Please don't toss the silicone infested old window, someone would appreciate getting it.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #3

Michigan
The scamp window did it fit with modifications? Or does it simply fit?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulin View Post
The scamp window did it fit with modifications? Or does it simply fit?
Bob will probably be along shortly to fill you in, but as I recall he had to enlarge the opening. It should be easy to find it with a search - he has posted about it several times.

Here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...t13-55761.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-55870.html
Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I bought a rear window from Scamp and installed it in our Uhaul. The opening had to be widened by about 1/2" on each side. The window cost about $150 plus shipping. I requested that they send me the clamp ring too, but that may be included anyway. The clamp ring had to be put on backwards because of the thin wall of the Uhaul. If you decide to go this route, DO NOT use the weatherstrip that they send with the window, it will not allow the window to set tight against the outside wall and it will leak. I found this out the hard way. Another Uhaul owner here installed a Scamp rear window too, but now I forget who it was. If you need, I'll give you my phone number. Sorry, I don't have any side window weatherstrip left, I gave away or sold the excess. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #6

New York
I don't mind repeating info, because without Tom posting a link, I don't have much luck doing a search. Now I'm trying to find Toms " fearing Canadians" thread
Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
....... Now I'm trying to find Toms " fearing Canadians" thread
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hem-56681.html
Old 04-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #8

New York
Forgot to mention on the Scamp window installation to use the black butyl tape when I said to not use Scamps foam tape. There is a difference between plain putty tape and butyl tape. I've found both at a RV dealer.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #9

Michigan
Thanks Thomas. thanks Bob. I really appreciate the input. Overall bob how happy are you with how the window turned out?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You know, a couple of Uhauls are going to camp during the Mesick, MI mushroom fest. We can't fix your window, but we can help you feel bad about the silicon.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #11

Michigan
When is the mushroom fest.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulin View Post
Thanks Thomas. thanks Bob. I really appreciate the input. Overall bob how happy are you with how the window turned out?
I'm very happy with the window results. When we got our Uhaul the rear window had been replaced with plexiglass and was all gobbed up with silicone and couldn't be opened. No screen either. Scamp sent some foam sticky tape with the windows, and I figured that if they use it, then it must work. I couldn't get the window lip drawn in tight against the outer wall and it leaked, so I had to pull the window out and reinstall it using butyl tape. That solved the leaking problem. The inside may look a little odd with the clamp ring on backwards, but the curtain covers most of it, and who's going to notice anyway. The Scamp window is a slider with screen, made by Hehr, so it's a good window. I took my time marking and enlarging the wall opening so I got a nice snug fit, and tightened the screws a little at a time, then retightened them again a couple days later. I don't think I used the screws that came with the window, you have to be careful with the screw length so they don't go through the outside frame. Before those NOS windows became available I had installed a Scamp jalousie type window in the right side, but because it is too small for the opening I had to make an adapter piece of 1/8" aluminum. This worked out OK, but I wouldn't recommend that anyone else try it since member Higginra found a source of custom sized clamp ring type windows at a real good price. I did get a pair of the NOS windows and installed one in the left side. If that is what you are doing be sure to seal up those two 1/8" drilled holes at the top of the frame as the AS1456 weatherstrip doesn't cover them. Afterthought: I may also have had to grind down the shell seam ridge a little where the rear window flange sets against the outside, also had to round out the corners a little too. I did the cutting with an air powered die grinder with a thin 2" cut off disc, and the sanding with the same die grinder with 2" sanding disc on it. It was so much easier, and better too, in my opinion, to install new windows rather than try to repair the old ones.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The mushroom fest is May 10-12. See this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...gan-56062.html

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
For the mushroom festival, the small group of us is camping at the Northern Exposure Campground, sites 46-49.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #15

Name: Linda
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
California
Registry
Hi,

We put a Scamp window into the rear and the front of our Uhaul. It worked perfectly if you enlarge the window hole a little--we used a Dremel. And we used butyl tape, put several layers on the window and then installed it. We have no leaks and are very happy with it.

Linda
Lindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #16

Incidentally, I was reading up on silicone removal and it seems that if you soak it with mineral spirits, it jellies and is much easier to scrape off. This might help who ever ends up with this rear window and Diane's side windows. Given how rare these are, I really hate to see them taken out of circulation.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #17

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Benjamin, I may be interested in your rear window, if you take it out for a new one. Please let me know. You can PM me. I have a household airconditioner in my back window that I want to remove. Then I will only have half a window....DUHHH.
I really hate the window unit ac that the previous owner lovingly installed. I boone dock, and would rather have an open window.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #18

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindl
Hi,

We put a Scamp window into the rear and the front of our Uhaul. It worked perfectly if you enlarge the window hole a little--we used a Dremel. And we used butyl tape, put several layers on the window and then installed it. We have no leaks and are very happy with it.

Linda
Thanks for the input linda
Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis
Benjamin, I may be interested in your rear window, if you take it out for a new one. Please let me know. You can PM me. I have a household airconditioner in my back window that I want to remove. Then I will only have half a window....DUHHH.
I really hate the window unit ac that the previous owner lovingly installed. I boone dock, and would rather have an open window.
Where r u located. If someone was willing to buy I may be apt to do this sooner than later. Thanks pm me and we can talk more