Cubic Woodstoves - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
After I got fed up with having a tiny wood stove in my boat, and all the hassle that came with it, I switched to a Dickinson Diesel heater of about the same size. It ran on gravity fed diesel and burned about a gallon a day to keep the boat toasty 24/7. It was far better than wood and I used it for years. A silent and consistent flame that burned very clean.

I had a friend that used one on his boat in Alaska too. He would light the fire and fly south for months with it left on! It kept the boat alive and the snow melted off the cabin and the decks.

Someone mentioned a concentric flue that brought in combustion air as well as venting the exhaust. That is fine, but it won't dry the air because there is no air exchange. It takes a surprising amount of attention to keep those very small stoves working the way you want while burning wood. Coal is an alternative to wood, but not necessarily better.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #22

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Dickinson make a line of LP stoves with dual wall flue also. They work very well, no power required and silent operation. Just like little woodstoves without the wood.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #23

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
Dickinson make a line of LP stoves with dual wall flue also. They work very well, no power required and silent operation. Just like little woodstoves without the wood.
They're nice looking too. I have a Dickinson cooktop in my trailer and also one of their Spitfire 180 grills. Everything they make is high quality. They claim it's direct vented which isolates the combustion process from the interior, so no chance of oxygen depletion or need for extra venting. The only issue, as always with a small trailer, is finding a suitable install location. It would definitely be nice to run with the existing propane onboard, and to do so almost silently.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #24

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Would work really well in a 'sticky' because when you run out of Presto logs, you could use the framing for fuel.
Glenn did u see where Metro Vancouver is about to say nay to any wood stoves, Fireplaces, and that includes Existing so if you have on in your house be ready to shut it down.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:09 PM   #25

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Glenn did u see where Metro Vancouver is about to say nay to any wood stoves, Fireplaces, and that includes Existing so if you have on in your house be ready to shut it down.
Stude
Why? Are they concerned with the pollution? If so, they ought to ban fireplaces instead of woodstoves. Far more smoke, less heat and they burn dirty.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Stude said fireplaces as well as wood stoves.
All the crap exhausted from those and from vehicles funnels to the east from Vancouver into the Fraser Valley.
I've tried to get my wife to think about selling our house in North Vancouver and moving to Chilliwack. We'd get a much better house, put a bunch of money in the bank and be able to travel east and south without enduring Highway #1 to Chilliwack.
She immediately points out that I have COPD and would not be able to breathe for long if we moved there.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #27

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Stude said fireplaces as well as wood stoves.
Yep, I missed that.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Doctor View Post
Do you have any model numbers? I looked at their website but could not find a suitable unit. The Cozy Cabin model sounded good until I saw that it has no intake vent (it uses cabin air), just an exhaust vent; this means it would have to draw cold outside air through cracks or an open window. The 9000 is much larger but I thought it might work, however it has an electric-powered blower and will not function without the blower. Is there another one I've missed seeing?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 AM   #29

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Do you have any model numbers? I looked at their website but could not find a suitable unit. The Cozy Cabin model sounded good until I saw that it has no intake vent (it uses cabin air), just an exhaust vent; this means it would have to draw cold outside air through cracks or an open window. The 9000 is much larger but I thought it might work, however it has an electric-powered blower and will not function without the blower. Is there another one I've missed seeing?
The 9000 (00-NEW-P9000) is the one I was referring to. It does use a 12V fan, but the draw is far less than the blower in my propane furnace, at only 0.2 Amps. There are safety clearances involved as well. Finding a suitable install location would be the trick.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/dm/wp-con...anual-2016.pdf
Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #30

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Dickinson do use a double wall flue so no CMOX issues.
I mentioned that they don’t use any power. Wrong! Forgot about the little air circ fan. Super lower draw!
I have seen these wall mounted with heat shields and they work very well.

Now, just to find a place for it to go!
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #31

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
There are people in my vintage camper group that tried wood stoves, and several issues arose, the main being that the jouncing from towing was loosening pipe connections as well as causing leaks where the pipe went through the roof. The clearances required took up a lot of floor space, and the cost of a small marine grade stove was crazy. Also, it was hard to keep a smaller trailer at a regulated temperature. They were usually too hot or too cold.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #32

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If you want to put in a Cubic Wood stove go for it if you have the space for a safe installation and a way to have a reliable supply of fuel. You might find that you have to get up in the middle of the night to add more wood but that is going to be true of any of the petite sized wood burning stoves in really cold weather.

On a propane heater things to note: if it has an exhaust and it does not have an outside air intake that type of system does have a benefit, it will remove the moisture and keep the interior much drier. If it has an outside air intake as well as an exhaust you won't get oxygen depletion or have a problem with carbon monoxide but you won't also have that benefit of drying out the cabin.

There is no perfect heating system when it comes to propane or wood stoves. There is always a trade off. So you need to analyze the benefits and disadvantages of the different types of air control.

I have heat that has exhaust but does not have a direct air intake for when I am off grid camping. That is good for humid climates.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you want to put in a Cubic Wood stove go for it if you have the space for a safe installation and a way to have a reliable supply of fuel. You might find that you have to get up in the middle of the night to add more wood but that is going to be true of any of the petite sized wood burning stoves in really cold weather.

On a propane heater things to note: if it has an exhaust and it does not have an outside air intake that type of system does have a benefit, it will remove the moisture and keep the interior much drier. If it has an outside air intake as well as an exhaust you won't get oxygen depletion or have a problem with carbon monoxide but you won't also have that benefit of drying out the cabin.

There is no perfect heating system when it comes to propane or wood stoves. There is always a trade off. So you need to analyze the benefits and disadvantages of the different types of air control.

I have heat that has exhaust but does not have a direct air intake for when I am off grid camping. That is good for humid climates.
Not sure why you quoted my post. I was responding to the post about Dickinson propane units, not Cubic wood stoves.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #34

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
wood stove

I think the guy who commented about the diesel stove had the best answer. I just don't see a wood burner in a rv as to being very practical in a rv!

then again I would bet the diesel stove would need power of some sort. my vote is the wave cat. stoves I have read of people with the 500k rigs using them.

the waves require no power to run I use a small one and am very satisfied and it sips propane!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #35

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'd rather use a fuel source I already have on board. Since I cook with LP, I prefer to heat with same. If I had a generator I would set it up for LP, too. I don't want to cart around gas cans, diesel fuel cans, or piles of fuel wood.

Diesel heaters are mainly for boats that use diesel for primary or auxiliary propulsion.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #36

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Here is a link to a Cubic Mini woodstove being installed in a Van RV. He was relocating it in this video but he has an earlier video showing it in use on his youtube channel.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #37

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Here is a link to a Cubic Mini woodstove being installed in a Van RV. ..
Tim from one of the Scamp Facebook groups just finished a Cubic wood stove install.. hes been living in his 74 Boler all winter. Its an interesting project but I think in the long run he won't be all that happy with it.

You might be able to see his most extensive post here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6506...5007182936761/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #38

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Your wood stove adventure has been interesting, a Pellet stove might work out to easy to store the pellets, and the stove can be had smaller and keep one nice and warm. My boat had a Diesel Stove with oven had a 15gallon tank on the galley roof that fed the stove, I also cooked Chicken, ham roasts, beef roasts all kinds of Pizza, bread etc. in the smallish oven for sometimes up to 6 people, but that was only when company showed up. I made pots of coffee for the other hand on board, we towed up to 48 sections of logs and sometimes 2 barges full of logging equipment. That little stove kept us warm in all kinds of weather. I believe it was a Dickinson stove made for boats with a arm all around the top edge so the coffee pot stayed in place.
But I often wondered why not wood or pellets.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #39

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Tim from one of the Scamp Facebook groups just finished a Cubic wood stove install.. hes been living in his 74 Boler all winter. Its an interesting project but I think in the long run he won't be all that happy with it.

You might be able to see his most extensive post here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6506...5007182936761/
And then again, maybe he will? Whether A/C or wood burning stove... no one needs either 365 days a year. In Tim's case he's looking for something that provides a reasonable heat without being hooked up to electricity, without solar or running a generator. I hope it works for him! His needs are NOT my needs, but it's been interesting following his posts on Facebook.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #40

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
that is about right. good post!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote