curb side tire rubs on wheelwell - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Name: betty
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Minnesota
curb side tire rubs on wheelwell

Can anyone tell me if my 1973 Boler has been modified or if this is factory? My curb side tire rubs in the wheel well. There is an indent in the fiberglass. The other wheel has plenty of room

I found out the square indent is original. Good news I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20150817_10_36_52_Pro.jpg  
betty h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Betty, your wheel may have the wrong inset.
Try taking the wheel from the side with clearance and install on other side.
If the problem goes away, you have your answer.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #3

Minnesota
Thank you mszabo. I will try that.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Wheel inset

I think Mzabo means offset, not inset.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech...jsp?techid=101

If the tire then rubs on the other side, then you need a new wheel.

I would buy a pair of identical wheels.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The Boler body, from the factory, is offset on the frame by 1" towards the kitchen side. This offset means that every Boler has more wheel clearence on the street side than the curb side. Rubbing could be caused by:
  • Wrong wheels (should have zero offset) as identified above
  • Tires too wide (175/80R13)
  • Axle problems (suspension arm pulling out of axle tube or loose axle mounting bolts to frame)
  • Frame bent or broken
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

Minnesota
Thank you Ian and Joan
Old 12-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I'm resurrecting this thread after noticing a few things. At the time of this posting the OP has only posted 3X all in this thread. I don't expect them to return, but others may benefit from my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty h View Post
Can anyone tell me if my 1973 Boler has been modified or if this is factory? My curb side tire rubs in the wheel well. There is an indent in the fiberglass. The other wheel has plenty of room

I found out the square indent is original. Good news I guess.
Something bothered me while reading this thread, I had to go over it a number of times before I finally figured it out.

In the picture posted, I believe the view is actually of the streetside wheel well. Note the plumbing lines. There should be no plumbing on the curbside of a 73 boler. IIRC 1973's were still only 13 footers.

The notch in the wheel well is typical of the notch in a boler American. This was done to allow clearance for the gravity furnace also located on the streetside. Given the OP is from MN, I postulate that her trailer may be a boler American even if she states it is a 1973. The boler Americans were only made in 1972. Chances are that it may have been originally registered in 1973 this been listed as a 1973 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
The Boler body, from the factory, is offset on the frame by 1" towards the kitchen side. This offset means that every Boler has more wheel clearence on the street side than the curb side. ...
Ian, I might agree with you that every "boler has more wheel clearance on the street side than the curb side". That is because I do not consider the boler American to be the same as a boler. That notch in the wheel well shown above is about 1" deep which would negate any difference in clearance.

Hopefully you can see it in the diagram below that I've taken from my boler American's axle swap thread posted back in 2009: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...arm-37248.html

From the rear, you can see that the frame is offset to the curbside, but the notch in the wheel well negates the clearance on the boler American.

On edit: It would be interesting to know if the trailer is a boler American. If it is, I'd love to know the serial #. I'm thinking the picture of the wheel well shown is slightly different than the one in mine. Knowing the serial #'s and the differences between between trailers might help with my theory on serial numbers and production plants.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
What size are your tires? Maybe someone install too large of a tire at some point.

--Dan Meyer
http://scamp.n0kfb.org/
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote