Curtains in Bolers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #1

Name: Anni
Trailer: Boler 13'
Yukon
Curtains in Bolers

Hi all!

I'd love to hear what you used for window coverings in your Bolers etc. Ours still had the original curtain-rod-hooks riveted to the walls. I used wooden dowels with towels last year, not wanting to invest in anything till I had a plan. We found that the space between the dowel and the wall, and the slope of the wall, meant that the towels hung down and away from the wall, letting in a lot of light (in the land of the midnight sun...). So even if I put up black-out curtains they will hang away from the window and allow light in.

I'm thinking of attaching the flexible wire type of curtain rods (see pic) to the top and the bottom of the windows, to string the curtains through on both the top and bottom. They are attached by little screw-in hooks and rings.

Questions:
Has anyone else done this?
Are these going to work with the foam / fiberglass? Are screws ineffective or ill advised and that's why everything seems riveted on? Would we need to start by gluing wood to the fiberglass to screw the hooks into? Seems complicated and unlikely to hold with frequent use...

Ideas please!

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4804.JPG  
YukonAnni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Anni, we use vinyl light blocker roll shades from Wal-Mart. I used double stick tape to secure a couple small round magnets to both sides of the aluminum screen frames, and simply place another magnet over the secured ones when the shades are down. This method keeps the shades pinned tight against the wall. On our Scamp that had the "rat fur" on the walls, our curtains had "hook and loop" (velcro) attached to the curtains (hook side only) and that would attach easily to the "rat fur" to keep the curtains pinned tight against the walls.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
We used vinyl venetian blinds from Home Depot. I used elastic banding at the bottom to hold them angled against the wall (Casita uses the same idea). When we travel I just pull them up and use velcro straps to secure them.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #4

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
I just finished making roman shades for our Trillium. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do it including no sew methods.
I used out old blinds as the base for making mine, but I have made them from scratch with a wood base as well. We glued our magnets to the window frame (they are 1/4" in size) and the blinds are mounted to the bottom of our shelves. There are magnets sewn to the bottom of the blind (they came in plastic squares for sewing)
In our boler I did put the cords on the bottom with a hook in the middle, at the bottom, to keep the cord down all the way along. I sewed ties to the back, outside edge to tie the curtains with to keep them out of the driving sight line for the trailer. Here are pictures of the blinds and curtains.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler weekend Nanaimo 063.jpg   roman shades 003.jpg  

roman shades 004.jpg   roman shades 007.jpg  

Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Here are the rest including a shot from outside.
Attached Thumbnails
roman shades 008.jpg   roman shades 009.jpg  

roman shades 011.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #6

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
I've used liquid nails to hold the metal tab behind the rat fur ! Works Xcellent ! So far ��
mexbob5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Here's one of my postings regarding curtains and black out shades. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ins-56699.html Mine is entry #5
I've seen a cord run from side to side in a campervan and the curtain is tucked behind it to keep it from flopping. I don't remember how it was anchored.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler