All right, just wanted to share an update on our little project, which is mostly done, with just a couple of very minor loose ends to tie up.
Attached picture shows the custom made box, painted with high heat paint
, sealed with fire barrier caulk. It definitely would have been easier to use purchased battery box, but we were not able to locate ones that fit our battery and that would fit the compartment. So, the box was cut to measure, fitting precisely to fit into the available space, basically working around the water tank, and the constraint of the opening of the compartment. There is not a whole lot of room to work with, but it's possible!
Then the batteries were fitted in. The exhaust hole drilled, sealed, and attached to the tube, about 6" max that vents to the outside offset from the back light
. We did have to move the Jet Flow pump over a tad, but that only involved four screws and remounting it on a little wooden platform, just next to it's original spot. That was the easiest part! Once the wires were reconnected, the outlets too were sealed with the caulking, weatherstripping applied to the rim, and the lid was attached. We then had to remount the converter and got whip out the riveting tool for the first time! And essentially the core work is now done.
We have a screen vent cover that is suppose to be delivered to Home Depot shortly that will attach to the external vent hole. The new 'control center' includes a voltage monitor, fuse switch, and an expandable fuse box should we desire later down the line. This control center will be housed behind the door adjacent to where the converter is mounted. A supplemental smoke detector will also be mounted within this compartment. And we also install a battery operated gas detector so we can utilize the kill switch to eliminate the phantom draw off the 12v batteries during storage.
So I also want to say it was our choice to implement this modification ourselves since we don't live close to the factory, with a level of urgency, based on that our unique experience (partly due to lack of experience,
) and our specific individual very low risk tolerance (due to our responsibility to safeguard little ones). And the project was very satisfying to undertake, we learned so much, and now, that we've put in the work, this egg really feel more like our own.
None of this we could have done, even attempted to do, or have been inspired to do if it hadn't been the tremendous support, information sharing, and many other comments we received in this forum. This is really a great community, and hopefully, can pay it forward some where down the line, and hopefully see you all on the road sometime .
Of course, I'm always enthusiastic to come across fellow Parkliner
owners on the board and look forward to seeing more on the road for years to come!
Thanks for reading! Be safe and have fun out there!