Custom Lighting under camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 197? Beachcomber
Manitoba
Custom Lighting under camper

I would like to install some led lights under my Beachcomber. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I should mount them? My options seem to be screwing them into the frame or into the bottom of the FG shell. I have 4 red led marker lights that I plan to use, just need to decide how to mount them. The camper is currently undergoing a complete rebuild so I am able to do anything I need to in regards to wiring.
goggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
I ran a continuous LED strip light. It comes with a 3M self adhesive backing and I cleaned the frame rail really well ,peeled and stuck the strip where I wanted it and ran power through a weatherproof switch mounted on the battery box (fused inside the box before the positive post). My wife can walk up, flip the switch and it makes the trailer look like its floating on a white light. makes it really easy to see the steps etc and I hear using light under your trailer at night keeps the woodland mice and squirrels away.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #3

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I have three LED flood lights on the sides and back. They light the area around my camper really well, perhaps too well. I'd like to add a flood on the last side (front) also. However, something more subdued would be nicer.

I really like these LED light strips. They pull more power than I'd like though.

I installed two 30 ma lights as night lights inside but drilling a 5/8" hole and screwing them in. These are pretty bright but I suspect they pull more power than the rating. Any low power LED would work. Something with a surface mount angled outwards might work better.

While sailing to Hawaii in 1997 I discovered the back-light to my watch was enough light to move around inside the boat at night. It would stay on for 15 seconds or so--enough time to do a quick task like pull on my boots. I ran the battery out after a week or so. Still, I used very little power to get dressed for my night watch. The human eye works very well in low light situations.

Brighter light would keep the critters away--both, four and two legged.

It is a miracle that LED lights work so well with such little power. I want to change out all the lighting on my boat to LED for the energy savings. My spreader lights mounted on the mast draw so much power I can hardly use th and if I forget they draw my battery bank down low quickly. With LEDs I could leave them on all night with no concerns.

The same applies to exterior lights on a camper. I leave one or two on my camper on for hours so I can see when I return on dark nights without any worry about my batteries.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
The led light strips do draw surprisingly more power than they suggest. Don't leave them on over night ;(
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Or you could do like I've done... this works if hooked up to a power bush. Get LED rope lights and a timer. Pitch the lights under the trailer on the ground. Hookup, set the timer and voila, done.

The nice part is I take them only when I want and have them available for other times outside of camping. Like Christmas . Or looped around the deck railing for nighttime dinner parties.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting