Custom "nose cone" & storage for Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp
Propane is heavier than air and will settle to the bottom of the box and fill it as a leak develops. There should be some vents in the floor for this. They can be angled towards the rear to help keep water out, but need to be there!
The vents on the top will not help this issue unless you are using compressed natural gas which is very unlikley.
I like the idea and I am planning on doing something like this with my new rebuild posted in this section. I will have a little more room to work in since I have extended the tongue a bit. I need to keep the weight down to stay within the limits of my tow car though.

redbarron55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
This is "Phase One" of my solar electrification project on the old Scamp. I got a little ahead of myself buying solar panels and stuff without having the battery issue squared away. I want two 6V batteries with secure mounting and did not really like any of the available boxes that would fit the space. I also wanted a place to mount a tongue box so I just made something to suit. I am pretty happy with it although it makes for a whole lot of bright aluminum on the front of the Scamp and it doth offend the eye somewhat. This is my first attempt to post pictures so please be gentle.
The framing for the nose cone (1"X1"X 1/8" angle iron):
Attachment 79127

The various components. Tongue box, framing with propane bottle, and broken (bent) .063 (1/16") aluminum diamond plate. I bent this by hand! Well, hand, angle iron clamped down over it, and a 2X4 and hammer. Turned out pretty well:
Attachment 79128

And this is all of it mocked up. The aluminum plate has been cut to follow the radius of the trailer:
Attachment 79129

Toolbox open:
Attachment 79130

Toolbox pivoted over on hold open rod. Hinge is heavy duty aluminum piece I picked up out of the trash 20+ years ago and it was patiently waiting in the shed for just such a worthy project. Also seen on the bottom right is a pin I made that comes up through an existing hole in the bottom of the box. A smallish 3/16" lynch pin locks the box down from inside:
Attachment 79131

There will be a lot more to this project but I think that is a pretty good lick. Total out of pocket expense was around $40 for the aluminum and misc. hardware. I had the hinge and steel. And I am almost ashamed to admit that you are looking at 24 hours work, over 6 days. Yes, I am slow and take lots of breaks when I am piddling on a project.

I should also mention that although I removed the dual propane rack and second bottle there is still a net increase in weight just from the second battery (a 6V battery is heavier than a propane bottle). The framing, aluminum cover and tool box weigh 43 pounds. I intend to only stow semi-light stuff in the box but tow with a full size 1/2 ton truck so tongue weight is not an issue. A later project is a bike rack on the back which will help offset some of the front weight.
Really nice work . Actually I think it is a nice compliment to your trailer . Pat

LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote