Cutting a skylight hole in 17" Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2004 17ft CB 1500 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Question Cutting a skylight hole in 17" Bigfoot

Hello happy travellers , I am considering putting a skylight in my above trailer. Wanted to remove a aluminium sati-light tv base on the roof ( removed the dish) and the plywood interior ceiling cover. Has anyone cut a hole in their Bigfoot roof? Is there any cross members to be aware of? Would it compromise the integrity of the roof structure? Need all the info I can gather before putting any holes in the roof. Would appreciate any and all thoughts on this project. With thanks, trapper
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #2

British Columbia
Question Spill the beans!

Has no one out there cut a hole in there Bigfoot roof? I see some complete rebuilding of the fibreglass units, but may be no holes in the roof. I have written to Bigfoot to find out what is up there in the way of wires and possible cross members, so will see what they say. If any one would like to comment on the potential "hole in one" let me know. Thanks, trapper
Old 09-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
When I was looking at Bigfoots a month or so back (before I bought one), I saw what I seem to recall was a 2000 Gaucho. It had a fairly large skylight towards the front. The middle of it was pretty much right above the rear end of the dinette table.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Just speaking for myself, every hole is a potential future leak, and in the roof, more so. I would do all I could to limit roof penetrations. And on a rig that had wood structure underneath the fiberglass (doesn't the Bigfoot have some wood in the ceiling), additional concerns.

Most the threads I have read on restorations, if anything was done on fiberglass roof or wall penetrations, it was fiberglassing over them.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:36 PM   #5

Name: Marcia
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
skylight? yes

I have a 04 17cb with a skylight located about even with fridge. I thought it was factory.
mcmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #6

British Columbia
Smile Spill the beans!

Thanks guys for your input. As has been said "It is better to light one candle than curse the darkness" My candle will be a skylight in my 17 Lilfoot trailer. I believe they are an option in the new ones. Thrifty bill, I appreciate your concern with a another hole in the toy. I am a firm believer in maintenance and it is usually "lack of" that create problems. I liken my RV to my years of boat owning, commercial fishing and sports fishing and cruising. Yes there is potential for leaks, but with appropriate install and care taking I believe it to be a win. Cheers, trapper
Old 09-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Another hole plus maintenance is a lot better than no hole and no maintenance!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, light