Danfoss compressor fridge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #21

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Just to be clear, I think the term Norcold/Engle are mutually exclusive as there is a significant difference in build quality. This ad reminds me of those selling a Casita/Scamp that's actually a UHaul. The ad indicates it is not an Engle but leads you to believe they are the same quality as they function the same [think Yugo and Mercedes.]
You can get the newest model 60 qt Norcold with free shipping from Amazon for about $700 but it only has a 3 star rating. There is a 40qt. Engle on Amazon for about $850 with free shipping with a 5 star rating. My 2cents

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:46 AM   #22

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Last night from 5:30 PM to 5:30 AM my old swing compressor Norcold refrigerator used 23.3 watts per hour which would indicate that it ran about 50% of the time.
This number would vary on ambient temp and how often it was opened etc.
With the booster fan I added that runs off 12 volts when the compressor runs it draws about 50 Watts.
The amp draw is about 3.7 and the voltage is about 13 volts or about.
The refrigerator is a Norcold DE-704D

Refrigerator Cut-Out Opening (inches)
Model Height Width Depth
DE-704D 33 1/8 22 21 3/4
This is an old refrigerator and I have reconditioned it.
It worked on 120 VAC, but not so good on 12 volt, but investigation found that the 12 volt oscillator was running ar 55 HZ instead of 60 HZ and it needed to have some circuit parts changes to get the frequency correct for the swing compressor which is very frequency sensitive.
So Far So Good! It makes ICE TOO! (not much though since the freezer compartment is fairly small.)
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #23

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Re Danfoss or other Fridge/Freezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: I hope I'm not late on letting someone out there know about this find, while cruising tonight or should I say 10min. ago I came across a Norcold/Engel Portable Fridge/Freezer used $925.00 for Sale on the Vanouver, BC CL ID#5470914076 should get u to it. It is in North Vancouver and for u in the deep SE not a cheap ship as it weighs in at 70#'s
If you read the article he who I assume is the owner tells all about it, and if he is any kind of carpenter could build a 1/4" plywood box to ship a long ways and make it get there safely. Remember your dollar is worth about 30 cents more up here.
Stude
: I emailed the fellow and asked him how in the world I would keep milk from freezing seeing as it said Fridge/Freezer as there is not Divider and he emailed me back saying only good as a Freezer, that I would have to figure out some kind of Divider? Now asking the people in the Know if this thing freezes water how do you use it as just a Fridge on one side and a freezer on the other side?
I would think just going out and buying a simple electric 12V/110V Fridge would be the way to go as you can cool mild and have a small Freezer compartment/
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #24

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
I use my ARB as either a fridge or a freezer by adjusting the thermostat. If I set it to about 25 degrees it will act as both because it has a small compartment that is to the back that doesn't get as cold and typically won't freeze things like lunch meat or cheese. It's too small to hold a qt. of milk so that would have to go in the larger side and would freeze.

mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #25

British Columbia
Re- Fridge Freezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
I use my ARB as either a fridge or a freezer by adjusting the thermostat. If I set it to about 25 degrees it will act as both because it has a small compartment that is to the back that doesn't get as cold and typically won't freeze things like lunch meat or cheese. It's too small to hold a qt. of milk so that would have to go in the larger side and would freeze.

MMeyer, did you buy chance look at this one in Canada it has 2 baskets in it both the same size, the only way I can see in dividing the freezer side or vice versa is to wrap one side in lots of Styrofoam so one side freezes and the other cools but that should be done at the factory where they are made if your originally paying upwards of $2000.00 for new, The fellow selling this one says it is a Fridge/Freezer??? You can see where we as Canadians are getting the big rip off if Amazon can sell another make for $700.00 + taxes + shipping which would be way less than half the price as Canadian & do the same job. We then head south for our 48 hour adventure and pick it up not paying any duty on the return. I then get to pick up my 40oz duty free Whiskey for friends.
Stude
Old 03-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #26

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
MMeyer, did you buy chance look at this one in Canada it has 2 baskets in it both the same size, the only way I can see in dividing the freezer side or vice versa is to wrap one side in lots of Styrofoam so one side freezes and the other cools but that should be done at the factory where they are made if your originally paying upwards of $2000.00 for new, The fellow selling this one says it is a Fridge/Freezer??? You can see where we as Canadians are getting the big rip off if Amazon can sell another make for $700.00 + taxes + shipping which would be way less than half the price as Canadian & do the same job. We then head south for our 48 hour adventure and pick it up not paying any duty on the return. I then get to pick up my 40oz duty free Whiskey for friends.
Stude
: I forgot to mention that when down south I fuel up my 75 gallon fuel tank at about $1.55.9 gallon as up here it is $1.00.9 Litre.
Stude
Old 03-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #27

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I had a Nova Kool NovaKool DC Refrigerator - Model 4500 in our 13' Scamp to replace the 3 way refrigerator that became unreliable. I did add insulation around the refrigerator once installed as recommended to reduce run times. . I used a single 100 watt solar panel to keep our group 27 battery fully charged each day during our travels to California, Oregon, Washington, Northern Idaho, Colorado, Michigan and all places along the way, and it never failed nor drained the battery below 50%. I would recommend it. I now have a Truckfridge of the same size in our Lil Snoozy, but without additional insulation as there wasn't room for any. This set up requires two 100 watt solar panels to keep up with the power demands, as it appears that this unit runs more often and longer to keep things cold.
Dave & Paula

David, I've found a big difference in power consumption depending on if the sun is shining on the fridge side of the trailer. That might account for some of the difference between your Novakool in the Scamp and Truckfridge in the Snoozy.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #28

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Could you tell me how to find him on the forum please? I have only contacted people from threads, thanks.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Responded to Lisa's email with a link to the blog post describing our thought process converting from the Snoozy's standard dorm fridge to the Truckfridge. https://wanderingourway.wordpress.co...refrigeration/

BTW, the Truckfridge unit is made by Indel B.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #29

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Thanks Denny. I read the whole story.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #30

Name: SAMiAM
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Insulation around your Nova Kool fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I had a Nova Kool NovaKool DC Refrigerator - Model 4500 in our 13' Scamp to replace the 3 way refrigerator that became unreliable. I did add insulation around the refrigerator once installed as recommended to reduce run times. . I used a single 100 watt solar panel to keep our group 27 battery fully charged each day during our travels to California, Oregon, Washington, Northern Idaho, Colorado, Michigan and all places along the way, and it never failed nor drained the battery below 50%. I would recommend it. I now have a Truckfridge of the same size in our Lil Snoozy, but without additional insulation as there wasn't room for any. This set up requires two 100 watt solar panels to keep up with the power demands, as it appears that this unit runs more often and longer to keep things cold.
Dave & Paula
Hi, I too have a small Nova Kool in my 2004 Trillium and am curious how you insulated around the fridge and what material you used? I am finding the fridge isn't cold enough when it's hot out. I plan to take it out and clean the coils as well.
SAMiAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
SAMiAM, I used styrofoam board where there was room, and reflectix where the styrofoam wouldn't fit. The Scamp still utilized most of the outdoor vents from the 3 way refrigerator, and the Lil Snoozy vents to the inside, so this is probably another reason one worked better than the other.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:13 AM   #32

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
On my Norcold 704DE I added a 1/4"of cork for sound and temp insulation.
I also added two layers of reflextix to both fill the gaps and added insulation.
My reefer vents to the inside, but I have designed in a large flue for cooling the rear coils and the clearance between the back wall and the reefer so that all of the air passes over the coils and not bypass them.
With the added insulation and ventilation the Norcold averages about 17 watts/hr or less.
Don't forget that the "hot" coils must be cooled by either outside air or inside ait.
To aid in the airflow I added a small quiet computer fan that runs when the unit is running on 12 volts.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge