We have completed the deadbolt installation!
The main problem we had was locating a deadbolt that would accomodate a thickness of 2.5". The issue was not the bolts that hold the lock pieces together, but the "tailpieces" inside the lock that operates the bolt. These tend to be short, and none of the locks we looked at at Home Depot, Lowes or Ace would accomodate a 2.5" thickness. We stopped at a lock shop and they put several parts together, along with a lock from Argentina, and wa-la, we had one that would fit the thickness! (At about $50, or 2x the cost if one could be found at one of the big boxes!)
Picture #1 shows it mounted on the piece of 2x4 cut, drilled and painted. I recommend from experience drilling the smaller latch hole first to avoid straining and possibly cracking the block of wood with the larger hole.
Picture #2 shows the strikeplate, and booboo holes. After all the careful measurements, pre-assembly, careful consideration, the first location of the striker made the inside of the lock too close to the Scamp
handle for comfort. So up it went and some white caulk sorta filled the holes pending gelcoating by the next owner.
Picture #3 (little blurry) shows the exterior. One of the things I got from the locksmith was a shorter "escutcheon" around the key cylinder. This made the lock about 1/4" closer to the door.
Picture #4 shows what came out of the Scamp
door after drilling the lock hole. (Drilling that hole gets your total attention!
) As you can see, the fiber-like material is why some doors end up trying to return to their normal flat shape after a few years!
All in all, we are very happy with the results. Much easier and faster to lock the door. More secure now, although anyone with a crescent wrench could take off the hinges in about 1 minute - that's the next area that needs some attention.