Deal Breakers - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Name: Jake
Trailer: Looking around
Alberta
Deal Breakers

Hi,
I've been searching through the forums and have found some great info. I hope you don't mind me asking this somewhat vague question.

I'm going to go look at a used Sunrader. It's a long one for an 8' bed, with the pop-out back. From what I understand that might be somewhat rare.

I'm hoping some of you with more experience looking at used/old fiberglass trailers and slide-ins could give me some stuff to look out for with this. What are some common deal-breakers with these things? From what I can see there might have been some ugly repair job around a window - some black gunk in the photo that might be sealant? I've done fiberglass repair before (not on a trailer), but would appreciate some warnings about what might be not worth it, or too far gone.

By the way, I've seen the thread on here with a very extensive rebuild of the Sunrader, and am hoping to do much less work than that. I'm hoping resealing a window or two, minor fiberglass work are all that need doing.

Thanks in advance.
Jake

BestyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Typically leaks lead to rotten floor, which can be quite a chore to repair.

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Typically leaks lead to rotten floor, which can be quite a chore to repair.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm not interested in repairing a floor at this point. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for rot.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #4

Alberta
So our schedules actually aligned sooner than I thought, and I got to go look at the Sunrader yesterday. I'm not sure if Google Drive is the best way to share folders, but the link below should let you check out some photos I took.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_i...enuKN_Zro0J54Z

In short, it looks like a project that is beyond my current capabilities (I'm travelling right now, so no tools or garage), but I'm still curious as to what people think of it.

To explain it a little bit further, apparently there was some leak issues at the front windows. The owner did an admittedly sloppy job "overkilling" some sealant, and just blobbed all over it. You can see that pretty clearly on the outside and inside. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's worked, and there was some water pooled underneath a sheet of plywood by the windows. It didn't smell of rot, and exposed wood seemed dry and solid, but I guess you wouldn't know until you removed a bunch of the carpet/material around the wood.

Any thoughts on that window job or the camper in general? Seems like an easy enough job if you had the tools and time.