Decals or Automotive Wraps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Decals or Automotive Wraps

We are toying with adding some sort of graphic to our Boler and were wondering if anyone had added decals or automative wraps to their fibreglass trailers. If so, any suggestions on what works best--decals or wraps? Can you still use the Poli-glo products to clean and wax the trailer without damaging the graphics? (May be best just to hang something in the window.) And...saw some units that have a grapic on the underside of the front window cover. How are the graphics attached to the cover?
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
decals or wraps

I don't know about wraps, but I to thought about using them. I did notice that when I applied Red Maxx Pro to my trailer all but the decals looked great. The decals (SCAMP) appeared to have a "milky" look to them, as well as the plastic weep hole covers on the windows. The Red Maxx eventually peeled off the plastic, but is still on the decals.
Hope this helps.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #3

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B.
I don't know about wraps, but I to thought about using them. I did notice that when I applied Red Maxx Pro to my trailer all but the decals looked great. The decals (SCAMP) appeared to have a "milky" look to them, as well as the plastic weep hole covers on the windows. The Red Maxx eventually peeled off the plastic, but is still on the decals.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip about the decals. I wasn't to use red maxx and was going to out in new decals and just go over them with RMP. Maybe I'll mask them off first
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #4

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
One of the wildest Bolers I've seen is called the Bodo Boler. It was built by Linda Bodo, an author, columnist and eco-deco designer from Edmonton,
Alberta, Canada. Here's is a web page telling the story of the Boler she modified:

The Bold and the BodoBoler « Absolute Bodo

Here's a video where she describes interior and exterior mods. At 3:08 minutes into the video she shows how she applied the vinyl wrap on the outside:

The Bold and The Boler: Interior and Exterior Update...The Home Stretch! on Vimeo

I believe she sold this trailer last year. I don't know where it is now.

Good luck!

Jeff
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you look in the accessories - rv's section of eBay and search for stripes, graphics or decals, you will get hundreds of hits. Mostly for surplus graphics and stripes, but also a few custom sources. Using regular RV graphics will help assure that they stick around...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Richardson View Post
One of the wildest Bolers I've seen is called the Bodo Boler. It was built by Linda Bodo, an author, columnist and eco-deco designer from Edmonton, Alberta...
Thanks for the links. I was following her renovations for a while but forgot about it. She has a website: Absolute Bodo that doesn't appear to have been updated since December 2011 and a Facebook page. Sent her a FB message asking what happened to her Boler. Wonder how the peel-and-stick fared over time. Ours has a nice shiny marine paint which is why I thought I'd ask others about adding graphics and how they would look over the long-term. I'd love a bit of colour (yup...that's a Canadian 'u' in my spelling), but don't want to 'hurt' our little unit.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
If you look in the accessories - rv's section of eBay and search for stripes, graphics or decals, you will get hundreds of hits....
Great idea, Bob. Will check it out after the weekend. Off to start closing our stationary Golden Falcon this weekend in preparation for Boler Season.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
... I did notice that when I applied Red Maxx Pro to my trailer... decals (SCAMP) appeared to have a "milky" look to them...
That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Thank you. Think I'll continue to collect information before deciding whether or not to add anything to the Boler's exterior.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
Thanks for the tip about the decals. I wasn't to use red maxx and was going to out in new decals and just go over them with RMP. Maybe I'll mask them off first
Colour me blonde (ok greying blonde) but what is RMP? Once you've done, can you post the results? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #10

California
Registry
My bad. Late at nite. Red Maxx Pro. Basically a professional floor coating many here have used to give a super deep sheen back to their trailers.

Check a thread here called this us not poliglow

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #11

Trailer: 1989 Scamp 13 ft
Yes, you can still use the polish. I bought decals from carstickers.com You can get about anything youre interested in!
Marty Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #12

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Brian
Yes, you can still use the polish. I bought decals from carstickers.com You can get about anything youre interested in!
Nice tip. Thx
Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #13

Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the definition of RMP (Red MaXx Pro). I wrote to a decal maker asking about adhesion, removal, wear, etc. and received the following response:
"The decal will adhere to any flat smooth surface, so it will adhere to the side of a boat. I have created many decals for boats (including boat numbers) over the years. Be aware that when removing the decal, you will need to be very careful and use heat to soften it, as if the boat has been repainted, the adhesive could be strong enough to pull up the layer of paint, if that did not have adequate primer underneath. Another issue with putting decals onto a painted surface is that the area NOT COVERED by the decal will oxidized due to the damaging UV rays of the sun, while the area covered by the decal will remain brand new and shiny. So if you leave the decal on the boat for a year or two then remove it, you will see what is called “ghosting” – new paint surrounded by oxidized paint... If the surface is not white, be aware that there is a bleed thru of the color below when the decal is applied, because the material is very thin. So if the surface is red, your yellow decal will look orange. If the surface is blue, your yellow decal will look greenish..."

As we anticipate our Boler's lovely shiny avocado green and eggshell coloured finish will outlast the decal if well cared for we decided to not add anyting to it other than perhaps something hanging in the window. Thank you to everyone who responded to my query.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #14

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
Good information to share. thank you !