Decking on the tongue of trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Decking on the tongue of trailer

Has anyone tried this? I am thing of using Composite decking over the tongue area of the trailer. I seen where some used diamond plate but no where have I seen the wood or Composite decking.
I think it would look good and I am willing to try it. But if someone has already did it maybe I can learn something or see pics of how they did it.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I thought the idea was to lighten the load ??
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #3

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I'm not familiar with the current composite decking products, but the original stuff wouldn't have worked well in this situation: it would sag where ever it wasn't supported. It's not as stiff as real wood, so it needs regular support. The original stuff was intended for decking only -- you had to use a real-wood structure underneath it.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #4

Florida
I thought about just wood planks. Not like it will add that much weight no matter how you go. The tongue isn't that big of an area. I am just trying to dress it up.
I was thinking about putting some 2x2 along the inside tongue for support but I really dont think it would need much if any. I never worked with it in decking. But in aircraft it is stronger than metal.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #5

Florida
Who said that?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I used 2x6" cedar from home depot on my last vardo I built. Cedar is real light and rot resistant and supported my then 290lb butt lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Shawn, are you referring to the Nomex-cored, glass-skinned composite panel which replaced Bondolite in aircraft bulkheads and interior furnishings and cabinetry? That stuff would definitely be lite wgt. and very likely to be strong enuf to bridge an A-frame tongue under considerable load, particularly in .75" thickness. Would need an edge sealer or infill and perhaps a guard or channel on edges to prevent debonding the skins.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The approach I would take would be to take it to a welding shop and deck it with steel; either flat bar or angle. The pieces can be cut and fitted with a cutting torch, plasma cutter or even a band saw or 4-1/2 inch grinder, depending on what tooling the welder has at his disposal.

While the welder is at it, I'd also have him double the frame thickness in and beyond the area of the curve. It seems that this is the weak spot in these trailer's frames. You might as well treat this area before a problem develops. It isn't a matter of "if", but a matter of "when" a failure will occur, in my experience!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I used 2x6" cedar from home depot on my last vardo I built. Cedar is real light and rot resistant and supported my then 290lb butt lol
That looks good too. It gives it a nice warm look. Unlike the look that something is missing. I didn't think of cedar because I am use to the ole pressure treated stuff.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Shawn, are you referring to the Nomex-cored, glass-skinned composite panel which replaced Bondolite in aircraft bulkheads and interior furnishings and cabinetry? That stuff would definitely be lite wgt. and very likely to be strong enuf to bridge an A-frame tongue under considerable load, particularly in .75" thickness. Would need an edge sealer or infill and perhaps a guard or channel on edges to prevent debonding the skins.

jack
I was just talking in general about composite. I don't think HD sells anything that is for an aircraft. But composite in general is lite weight and stronger than metal as you seem to know. I was looking at less maintenance later on. I would love to work with composite in a deck but lord that crap cost. But since the trailer area is so small why not go all out,lol.
Ever worked in Ca?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #11

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Cedar is great! Pricey but ages nicely and is super light

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Atlantic Aviation DE

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Cedar is great! Pricey but ages nicely and is super light
Maybe pricey but such a small area it is do able. So how do you like that Yammy? I want the 2000 and maybe later get another! Have you heard of the Smart Tool with a Yammy engine? 600 at Costco?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #14

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
what about some sort of self adhesive diamond plate ? Might have to make a substrate out of something to put it on, but if it's not load bearing.....something thin, maybe....then put something like tihs on it ?

Texas Garages Diamond Plate for the Garage, Home, Office, Trailer, Man Cave!
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
what about some sort of self adhesive diamond plate ? Might have to make a substrate out of something to put it on, but if it's not load bearing.....something thin, maybe....then put something like tihs on it ?

I thought about it but you see that all the time and I really don't think it looks all that good. I am more of a wood guy vers a metal guy.
I really don't like the look of the tongue are, it is like it is missing something. It is a very good place where someone can make it their own. I am putting a split unit ac on the tongue and I guess one propane take.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #16

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
how about some narrow teakwood planking ? Something that would look kind of marine style ?
Or oak. I bought oak slats about two inches wide and about 5/8" thick at lowes a couple years ago to refurb a wrought iron framed bench, like you would have on a patio.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post

I love Diamond Plate but had no idea it came in colors shown in this link. Way cool!

As far as the composite wood--we used it on a small deck (back porch). It's about 4x5'. Got it at Home Depot and installed 9 yrs ago. Still looks like new and its really strong. There's no give to it at all--even if you jump on it. If you like that look go for it. Like you said its a small area--so if it doesn't work out down the road you can change it.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Here's what Snoozy offers for a tongue deck.

Uncovered Generator
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I have a project of my own. I wanted teak lumber but of course it's not available locally.
I found this at Lowe's Lumber and picked up enough to do what I want and it can be painted. PVC lumber with wood grain.

Shop plastic lumber at Lowes.com: Search Results!
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #20

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
That Snoozy tongue is really clean looking. What's it made out of Carl? I wonder what product would give the same look and feel on Scamp and other older model FB trailers????
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote