Depth of sink-side galley cabinets and/or aisle width in a Scamp 16' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Curently Shopping
Ohio
Depth of sink-side galley cabinets and/or aisle width in a Scamp 16'

I'm looking at modification potentials for a 16' standard Scamp. If someone could tell me the depth of the sink-only cabinet or the width of the aisle across the galley in a "Layout 4" (side bath, front bunks), that would help me out. I sure wish manufacturers would publish floorplans drawn to scale.
Thanks in advance.
Mark
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'm looking at modification potentials for a 16' standard Scamp. If someone could tell me the depth of the sink-only cabinet or the width of the aisle across the galley in a "Layout 4" (side bath, front bunks), that would help me out. I sure wish manufacturers would publish floorplans drawn to scale.
Thanks in advance.
Mark
your lower limit is the size of the sink dimensions
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We have the sidebath with front bunks. The sink is 1.5' wide, the stove side is 2' wide. That leaves spaces between the counters at about 3'.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #4

Florida
Mark,

There is a lot of room for modification in the Scamp 16, for example I added two drawers to the sink side cabinet.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #5

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
your lower limit is the size of the sink dimensions
Hey, I even tried that--the Scamp Parts Store lists only one sink (white plastic) with no dimensions.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have the sidebath with front bunks. The sink is 1.5' wide, the stove side is 2' wide. That leaves spaces between the counters at about 3'.
Thanks very much, that's what I was after. DW and I have tried out a 13' Scamp, and the 44" bed width is too narrow for s. The rest of the Scamp 16' Layout 4 is great for our needs. So, options that have occurred to me:
1) Turn 90 degrees, with heads at the rear of the trailer and a bed extension down the aisle. I think the narrower Casita aisle would be a no-go, but with 36" or so it might be okay. And, that eliminates needing to crawl over anyone if getting up in the night.
2) Extensive surgery on the sink-side cabinet to allow the bed to be about 54" wide or so except for where the refrigerator is. Obviously, I'd need to find another way to support the ceiling there, and I'd hate to lose the storage/counter space (though a flip-down counter could be used there in the daytime). I don't know if there's anything that would be in the way to prevent making that cabinet less wide.

Or, look for a 16' Deluxe with the wider bed.

Maybe we'll do some tests at home to see if Option 1 will be okay for us.

Thanks again.
Mark
Old 10-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #7

Florida
Mark,
One of the favorite family comments about our Scamp is the 44" width of our bed., of course none of them ever have slept in an RV.

Ginny and I are 74 and sleep better in that small bed than we do in our new queen. Last night I told Ginny I wanted to move our twin day bed back in to the bedroom in our home, it's even smaller than the Scamp's bed.

I'm the one who gets up in the middle of the night. In the beginning I slept on the inside, now I sleep on the outside. I did not mind climbing over. Ginny needs to get up some nights and I just get up.

We both seem to have the ability to go back to sleep. When I can't I do about 5 in bed exercises and am asleep.

Personally I would not modify the Scamp to pick up 10 inches, I'd buy a bigger trailer.

At the very minimum I'd try sleeping in a twin to see what's possible before modifying a Scamp.

I personally don't think rotating the bed will help, the aisle is so narrow you'll still disturb your partner.

This is apparently a minority view

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #8

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
We also have shared a twin bed comfortably. At home downsized from a queen to a double when I realized only half the bed was wearing out, but we aren't very heavy,although Don is 6'2. But we would not give up the extra floor and counter space for a wider bed. I know, not for everyone. Karen
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
At the very minimum I'd try sleeping in a twin to see what's possible before modifying a Scamp.
We did give it a try, sure wish it would work for us. We rented a 13' Scamp, but neither of us got much sleep. DW is not as enthusiastic about RVing as I am, so I'm eager to make the experience as positive as possible for her--or the whole thing could be a dead end. And, if we're not getting a good night of sleep, that pretty much dooms the enterprise.

Quote:
I personally don't think rotating the bed will help, the aisle is so narrow you'll still disturb your partner.
While I think we could get by with the 36" of "foot width", after I measured things out, it's obvious that it's more than just our feet that would be in the aisle. If the regular bed is 44" wide, then if we turn 90 degrees we'd be in the aisle up to our hips. So, probably not a good plan.

Maybe a Casita 16' "Freedom" model, with the inline dinettes/beds. We could steal about a foot from the front dinette for the bed, but leave that front dinette set up as seating (though with seats that are less wide). I'll need to check more dimensions, and figure out some details. The 17' Casita just has too much weight on the hitch for us.

Thanks again. I've enjoyed your long thread on the modifications to your Scamp 16'. Lots of good ideas there.

Tags
scamp