Detachable Shore power mod, etc. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Detachable Shore power mod, etc.

I chose to add a removable shore power cable like so many before me.
I made a plywood donut to fit in the Scamp's original shore power port and inserted a ParkPower 150BBIWRV 15 Amp White Power Inlet from Amazon at $20.00. Sealed it up with some sticky white sealer. You may question why I downgraded from 30 to 15 Amp. I have no Microwave or AC and the electric heater I carry is only 13 amps on high (7 at my usual low setting). All my loads will total less than 15 amp, usually far less. There is now no entry for little critters crawling up the cable.

I also moved the converter from the aft end of the dinette seat storage compartment to the forward end of the same compartment. Without the shore cable and converter I now have a large empty space for storage and space for my battery when I move it from the tongue.

I also added a 15 amp Tripp Lite Surge Protector to the circuit that feeds the whole trailer. I am not sure surge protection is necessary, but I do have several electronic toys that will now be protected. I chose the Tripp Lite ULTRABLOK Isobar Surge Protector/Suppressor 2 outlets, Direct Plug In, 1410 Joules again from Amazon at $23.00.

You can also see the Charge Wizard that I plugged into the converter to better charge the battery. (about $23.00)

Before any of this I replaced the trap door Scamp had furnished for one at least double in area. Now it is much easier to access this space with its wiring buses and storage.

Not pictured - I added a Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket that is powered by the 12 volt lighting circuit above the dinette. With the new LED bulbs there is power to spare. Scamp fuses all the circuits at 20 amps so I suppose there was power to spare even before the LEDs. The USB charger is very high quality and works whether I am plugged to shore power or on battery. (about $19.00) I also added a 12 volt outlet from the same folks.

Three weeks and counting til we are off South. More mods to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp electrical 2.jpg   Scamp electrical 1.jpg  

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
John, I did something similar with the power inlet:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post297255
I am kinda curious about why you have two hatches though. what is the inside power inlet mounted to, or more precisely what is what it is mounted to, (plywood?) mounted to?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
John, I did something similar with the power inlet:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post297255
I am kinda curious about why you have two hatches though. what is the inside power inlet mounted to, or more precisely what is what it is mounted to, (plywood?) mounted to?
David. Looks to me that the outer hatch is the original 30A outlet for the trailer. The OP has modified the original hatch by inserting a smaller 15A outlet with hatch inside it.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #4

David,

Ice-breaker is right. I left the original hatch cover in place. I debated whether to remove the Park Power's small inner cover and decided it could wait. It is "waterproof" as opposed to the outer cover. The inside park power inlet is mounted in a plywood donut sized to fit tightly in the shore power inlet cylindrical housing. I use lots of sealant and a some screws thru the plastic into the plywood from inside the trailer.

I intend to paint all the exterior plastic covers, water fill port, porch light, etc on the outside of the Scamp after a season of weathering and before waxing. Unpainted they turn yellow with UV radiation and the plastic gets very brittle. Paint will slow both processes.

The surge protector sits on a small plywood tray on top of the wheel well and is attached to the bulkhead on the forward end. I didn't see a need for firmer attachment. I will monitor any heat generated in the surge protector and see if contact with wood is OK. It has a nice metal grounded case so I expect it will be fine. I may slide a ⅛ inch aluminum sheet underneath as a heat sink.

I have space on the tray for the solar charge controller but not sure about how hot it runs and it may need vertical orientation for convective heat dissipation. I haven't bought it yet. I did buy a 100 watt panel from Amazon for $145.00. I was careful with the converter orientation to allow for air flow and its internal fan cooling. I will also monitor how hot it gets when charging a low battery, probably its largest load.

I also have a remote reading digital thermometer in the compartment to make keeping an "eye" on things easier.

Now I am thinking about battery case design for inside placement. It has to allow proper venting of the Hydrogen gas to the outside. I may make it of plywood if I cannot find a compact commercial version. It might be as simple as some kind of plastic tote.

Next, Solar power and Water system.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
I love the idea of the detachable cord. However, being new to fg trailer camping, is there any concern over the power cord ever being stolen?
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMScampers View Post
I love the idea of the detachable cord. However, being new to fg trailer camping, is there any concern over the power cord ever being stolen?
I don't think it is much of a risk. If someone is going to take your power cord, they will probably take anything else that is not nailed down in your campsite, maybe even the water hose and stinky slinky.

I would not worry about it.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
David, I haven't heard where anyone has lost a detachable power cord while out camping. But, I have read where it's been left behind when leaving! There's a reason for having a departure checklist or at a minimum to walk around the campsite prior to pulling out and hitting the road. Just ask all the folks that have left water regulators attached to the hose bib.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Assuming that your power center (converter) has a 30a circuit breaker it would be wise to replace with a 15a.

If you only plug into a 15a source it won't matter. If you plug into a 20a, 30a, or 50a source you could smoke those 15a components and maybe even the trailer. Better safe than sorry.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I'm thinking of just cutting the cable short, order a pair of cable ends and going that route since the door is already there.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #10

Alberta
Registry
It was the possibility of spiders, or other pests, coming in the cable hatch that made my wife very nervous. No danger of that now.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Nice clean installation. Should you forget the cord, any hardware store will have one. Good job. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #12

Good idea on changing the breaker to 15 amps Beemerphile. I am embarrassed I didn't think of that. I will pick up a 15 amp breaker today.

Thanks, john
Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
John the conversion looks great but I am wondering about the down grade from 30 to 15 amp. What are you planning to do if at a campground that doesn't offer a 15 amp plug at the post? I have stayed at a few of those.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #14

Alberta
Registry
30 to 15 A adapters are readily available at your local RV store. As long as your trailer has a 15 A breaker, that protects the extension cord, except from mechanical damage, like cutting it with a pair of pliers. If it is damaged this way, the cord may melt, and catch fire, but your trailer should be OK. Not so good for your pliers though.

Otherwise the 30 A service wont mind you only drawing 15 A.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #15

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I like the screw in cord cause it leaves more storage space that space,DH likes the push in type cord that is built into the camper,because he doesn't have to find a place to put it in the storage bay or camper.

Now for my question....... you switched from 30 to 15 amp,what is the advantage to that? ? Also can you run ac or microwave on 15 amp.Just think here( because I don't know about electrical stuff) but wouldn't it be better to have more amps than less.

The great thing about this sight is we are all friends and I don't have to feel bad when I ask a silly question.

Thanks for the help in understanding this thought.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #16

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
I'm about to change my 15 to a 30. Why did you guys go the opposite way?
Brandiwhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
It was the possibility of spiders, or other pests, coming in the cable hatch that made my wife very nervous. No danger of that now.
Not to trash John's thread, but if pests coming into the trailer are the only reason for doing the change, consider this bug guard from Little House Customs, about 1/3 the way down this page $12.95
Attached Thumbnails
bug_guard.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Our 13' Trillium came with 30 amp service. The rather expensive and heavy Marinco cord would bend the side of the trailer when connected and fill a storage bin when not. Since we have no AC or other appliances that require 120Vac, that only leaves the converter. We seldom camp where there is shore power but even when we do there is no way we would exceed 15 amps. That and the fact a 25 ft 14 gauge extension cord is so much easier to deal with made the switch a good solution for us. If you have an air conditioner and a microwave oven, toaster, electric coffee pot, etc. the 30 amp service is a better choice. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-422747570.jpg   image-145357985.jpg  

image-3386807531.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Our 13' Trillium came with 30 amp service. The rather expensive and heavy Marinco cord would bend the side of the trailer when connected and fill a storage bin when not. Since we have no AC or other appliances that require 120Vac, that only leaves the converter. We seldom camp where there is shore power but even when we do there is no way we would exceed 15 amps. That and the fact a 25 ft 14 gauge extension cord is so much easier to deal with made the switch a good solution of us. If you have an air conditioner and a microwave oven, toaster, electric coffee pot, etc. the 30 amp service is a better choice. Raz
Lynn, Raz could have pretty much read my mind in thinking of a downgrade to 15 amps. Well stated! It all depends on where you camp and how much juice you want. I expect to use a solar panel and the tow vehicle to keep the battery topped off. Like Raz I will carry a light weight extension cord for the rare occasion when I will have shore power, most likely when the Scamp is in my garage where the sun doesn't shine much.

If I ever decide to add Air Conditioning I will install a small, quiet window unit in the bottom of my closet and deflect the cool air upward. I hate the expensive and noisy overhead units. Many window models use less than 10 amps, some less than 5.

Happy camping, john
Old 02-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
I like the screw in cord cause it leaves more storage space that space,DH likes the push in type cord that is built into the camper,because he doesn't have to find a place to put it in the storage bay or camper.

Now for my question....... you switched from 30 to 15 amp,what is the advantage to that? ? Also can you run ac or microwave on 15 amp.Just think here( because I don't know about electrical stuff) but wouldn't it be better to have more amps than less.

The great thing about this sight is we are all friends and I don't have to feel bad when I ask a silly question.

Thanks for the help in understanding this thought.

Happy Camping
There are No Silly questions!

I think its all a personal decision & your style of camping as to the advantages & disadvantages as to more amps vs less or a removable cord vs a fixed cord.

For me I would keep it at 30amp if it came with it & my converter is working fine, as it gives me the biggest flexibly as to current and possible future uses. Simple small adapter to step it down to 15 amp for plugging in at home and no risk of going from a 30amp supply to a 15 amp trailer and having the adaptor not work as well as it should an possible frying something up. I camp on and off the grid in different climates requiring next to nothing in regards to power at some spots & more power at others - some places an electric heater or ac are a must have. I do have a solar but some items will eat more power than it can produce especially when camping in the damp dark west coast. So having the greatest amount of flexibility no matter what the electrical supply is or isn't without worrying about it is important to me.

As far as having a removable cord - well again its a personal preference & I suppose it may depend on how your trailer is currently set up for storing of it. The sport my 30 amp cord goes into is not easy to get at from inside the trailer or big enough to store much of anything else in it. At the end of the day you need to find a place to store your often wet and dirty cord regardless of its size. My preference is to keep everything I can in the trailer at all times to avoid the possibility of it being left behind on a fast pack up or possible going for a walk on its own.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote