"Diamond Plate" flooring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
"Diamond Plate" flooring

Background:
I got the idea here a while back, so thanks to whoever that was . I have Vinyl flooring in my Scamp. My trailer gets used in some pretty rugged conditions over extended periods, so carpet was not an option. It suffers from the usual problems however. No insulation makes it cold, and of course it's hard on the feet. The other problem is that water condenses on it in cold wet weather. I was getting mold growing under the dog's beds. I wish these trailers had insulated floors, at least as an option.

Solution:
I saw where someone had used that 24" square gray foam flooring that they sell for athletic areas and workshops. I got mine at Walmart and a link is below. I remember it being cheaper in the store. Costco used to have it too. Two packages did the whole floor with a little to spare. I did this 6 months ago and I have been living on it since with two dogs. It has held up great! It took just a couple of hours to trim and fit the pieces. You need to think that through before you cut to get it all right. I used large sheets of cardboard from under pallets to make templates for difficult areas. It was very easy. The stuff cuts nicely with just a box knife. It has been very secure and bullet proof! No glue required, just cut and lay it in. You can use those pieces later for patterns if you need to replace anything. The floor feels warm and nice to walk on now, It is easy to sweep and clean up spills. The stuff weighs next to nothing. I also realized that with the added thickness I can FINALLY just sweep the floor out the door! I put a bead of Lexal sealer between the floor and the sill to eliminate the crack. Some things like that sill leave me wondering whether the people who build things ever actually use them .

Bottom line:
The stuff is cheap, easy to install or replace, easy to patch, wears like iron and makes a great floor covering. It doesn't have the wow factor of wood flooring, but is very practical. I still have a little throw rug at the entry to catch dust. I give it 5 stars.

Gold's Gym 6-Piece Puzzle Mat - Walmart.com
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #2

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Cool

looks great.... my lower doors, in front of the potty and one in front of the wheel well, are about 1/8 inch over the vinyl flooring. they are raised panel doors so cutting them down would not look good. I'm still looking
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Glue some Foil Backed Foam insulation on the under side of the floor. You can get it in various thicknesses at Home Depot or Lowes.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote