Diamond plate mod's - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #15
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
It's all greek to me. Did what you use have to pierce the shell of the trailer, as i'm trying to avoid that.

cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #16
Trailer: 87 Casita Liberty Deluxe (restored)

Name:   carriage_bolt_small.gif
Views: 59
Size:  1.1 KB

Yes, the carriage bolt is inserted from the outside in.
I can't remember if we use 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch SS bolts.

I used these, because I had them and everything was closed for Christmas.

Name:   hex_jam_nylock_nut.gif
Views: 69
Size:  1.4 KB
Hex jam nylon lock nuts

but these would look better.

Name:   acorn_nut.gif
Views: 54
Size:  1.5 KB
Acorn nuts

don bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:46 PM   #17
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
British Columbia
Wow, detail drawings too! So how do you prevent water from coming in where the bolts are? Did you silicone around them or anything?
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #18
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
We used SS carriage bolts and acorn nuts with nylon inserts to attach the cabinets and back splash.
I'm infering here that you did pierce the trailer walls -- How did you put square holes in the fiberglass (or are the acorn nuts on the outside?)? -- Or did you bend the diamond plate at top and bottom to attach to the fiberglass cabinets?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:29 PM   #19
Trailer: 87 Casita Liberty Deluxe (restored)
We bent the diamond plate on a brake to fit next to the wall and over the fiberglass at the cabinet and sink.

The carriage bolts that we used had a gnarled round edge, not square.
There is an awesome product that WILL NOT collect dust and is an excellent sealer. It does run if applied to thick. This stuff will stretch and stretch.

Repair Adhesive

New RV GOOP adhesive and sealant promises to make quick work of fixing rips, tears, cracks, and breaks in and around the coach. Referred to as a "toolbox in a tube" by the product's manufacturer, all-purpose RV GOOP dries to a clear, rubbery consistency for repairs that require flexible adhesion. It will permanently stick to a variety of surfaces, including rubber, leather, wood, glass, fiberglass, vinyl, and many other common surfaces. It is water-resistant immediately upon application and can be painted. According to company literature, when fully cured RV GOOP can be exposed to temperatures from minus 40 degrees to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.

You can purchase it about anywhere.

My Casita had a lot of cracks around the belly band. I put on a coat of Goop and we painted. That has been nine months now and no cracks. Note: On something like this, you have to put it on fast and work it with a wet finger. It sets up pretty quick.

I only use Silicone where dust is not a problem and I need a thick covering.

I could not have done this diamond plate project if it were not for a Brother-in-law that is a master with it and did I mention that it was a pay back on work that I had done for him. Sweet deal!!

Side note: Home Depot and the such, sell a real thin diamond plate that would be easier to work with and you may be able to pop rivet it on.

I'm rambling, but we took the carpet down and installed the foil double bubble insulation behind the diamond plate.

don bowman is offline   Reply With Quote