Different concept Scamp 13 closet AC Install? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #29

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 1995 16 ft Scamp
Virginia
Johnny, we STARTED with the 1/2" foil-covered sheet insulation (infinitely easier to work with) and someone on another site told us not to use it! (Fire risk?? Holding heat in??) That's why we scrapped those plans and went back to the sheet metal!

artrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #30

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Sharon, here are one link that might help you.

I'm adding air conditioning to my Scamp.

Many closet A/C have been installed with the vents just like your's. While that might not be the best, it will work for most hot conditions!

Good luck,

Bill

Old 04-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #31

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Sharon, here are one link that might help you.

I'm adding air conditioning to my Scamp.

Many closet A/C have been installed with the vents just like your's. While that might not be the best, it will work for most hot conditions!

Good luck,

Bill
That looks GREAT! Very helpful! Thanks, Bill!
Old 04-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #32

Virginia
Yet another question--do you know how Reflectix is rated for heat? Would it be safe to use, taped to the hot end of an A/C?

I really like the idea of the floor vent, but there's already a hole and drain tube in the floor of the closet from a previous installation of an A/C. (Regular pink insulation was left on the closet side walls, which we ripped out.)

So almost back to square one, if we go with a pan underneath with a hole in it (for the drainage tube) for condensation and skip the floor vent(s) given that Scamp installed closet A/Cs without floor vents, could we safely use Reflectix to channel the heat exhaust?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #33

Virginia
Answering my own question (and sorry to hijack this thread), I found this on the Lowes product page for Reflectix:
16-in x 25-ft Reflective Roll Insulation

An easy-to-install staple tab designed double reflective, double bubble insulation for 16-in on center framing
R-values range from R-3.0 to R-21 depending on the applications
Energy-saving residential applications include: cathedral ceiling, crawl space, radiant floor, wall, HVAC duct, water pipe, garage door, knee wall and water heater
A tape measure, staple gun, utility knife and safety glasses are all you need for installation (not included)
A fiber and itch free insulation product
Class A/Class 1 fire rating

In searching further, Class A/Class 1 is actually very good: "A Class “A” is the highest rating a product can score when tested under this testing method. There is nothing beyond or above a Class “A”. For example, if a product scored as a Class “A” was compared to a product that is a Class “C” the flame spread is over 4 times faster on the Class “C” product. This was calculated by taking the maximum amount of flame spread of a Class “A” product, 25 and dividing it into the Class “C” 200 flame spread rating. A Class “A” product out performs a Class “C” by over 4 times. This is the assurance we all should be looking for when our loved ones lives could be at risk."
Old 04-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I see no reason why you can't use it, the only purpose it serves is to separate the cool incoming air intake from the rear hot air discharge...however, I put the insulation on the outside of the luan plywood to insulated the walls around the a/c just like the outer shell of the camper, but I don't think that should matter. The danger of using the Styrofoam to my knowledge would be exposure to an open flame as the Styrofoam is flammable, but I don't believe there is anything with the a/c unit that could create any imminent danger.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #35

Virginia
Thank you. :-)
Old 04-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #36

Virginia
So in looking at some of these mods with the Reflectix sleeve, it appears to fully circle the back of the A/C unit. If that's the case, how does the condensation drain out?
Old 04-09-2016, 03:53 PM   #37

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by artrageous View Post
So in looking at some of these mods with the Reflectix sleeve, it appears to fully circle the back of the A/C unit. If that's the case, how does the condensation drain out?
Sharon, I understand that some small A/C's have a drain hole in the bottom of the case so that condensation can drain. If the A/C is installed in a home's window it would just drain on the ground...I guess.

In our RV trailers, a drip pan, with a drain hose of some type, should be installed for the condensation....so I understand.

A interesting A/C installation on a Canned Ham Trailer is shown in several videos. In one video it shows a A/C with the cover off so the installer can drill a drain hole in a A/C that didn't have a drain hole.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #38

Virginia
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Tags
scamp