Dinette Extension (more elbow room) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Dinette Extension (more elbow room)

Since we prefer to leave the bed set up in our ParkLiner we use the dinette quite often. We have often thought that an extra foot in length would be perfect to transform it into our main inside dinner table when necessary. That would leave more than enough room to open the fridge and still move freely. So with the help of some old shelving and 2 Martha Stuart sliding wardrobe rods (open box discount at Home Depot) I com pleated the following mod for $16.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Sid

Wisconsin
Now with the rods extended.....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Sid

Wisconsin
Add the modified shelf and we are ready to set the table for2 with room to spare for drinks and serving dishes!
When not needed the extension resides in the closet. The balls at the end of the rods create just enough friction under the table to stay retracted while in transit.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Nice mod Sid, I may borrow it from you . Have you had any problems with the square outside corners ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
Sid

Wisconsin
Thanks Dave! No problem so far with the corners. We just used what we had, in time we will upgrade the leaf to something nicer.
Please borrow away, that is the best complement you could give.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
What kind of enclosures are screwed into the bottom of the table that the rods screw into? Is the extension table just laid onto the rods?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
Sid

Wisconsin
Lfoxmont, if you do a search on " Martha Stewart Sliding Wardrobe Rod" you will find what I used. Mine were open box discount at $8 each, they retail for $20 each new. Originally I planned on making my own but when I saw these I couldn't pass them up.
The extension leaf is secured by a routed slot cut to match the rod and ball but you could utilize the type of snap clip hardware used to hold brooms in a closet.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Thank you too. Guess what I was getting at was being blessed with "old man skin" now, I really try to stay away from square corners. When I steal this....borrow it, radius corners will be the only change. I hate seeing my own blood....on the outside
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #9

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Great mod Sid! I want one! I'm still making blocks up to mount my door supports, and have started making a camp sign. I have way too many projects not even including our nearly new trailer!

Keep up the good work!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Nice Sid! Yeah the table could be a bit wider...hmmm lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
Sid

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Nice Sid! Yeah the table could be a bit wider...hmmm lol
Thanks Derek! Though not always needed, the option for an extra foot of tabletop does come in handy. It is surprising how much aisle remains to maneuver in with it up. The fridge door still has plenty of room to swing.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
Sid I think this winter I need to add a swing up extension to both sides of my galley for a bit more counter space...some place to put a pot or a plate down while cooking... the extension on the table would help especially when I have my lil Surface Pro 2 setup and am online would give me some more elbow room... and then disconnect it when it isn't needed.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Sid,

Do you know if there is a maximum weight for a table if I use those particular table brackets and the center support? Thanks.

Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Hmmmm good idea. I too wanted to increase the size of our little dinette so we could play cards with 4 people in our 13' boler, on rainy nights, without tearing the bed apart.
I took a piece of thick plexiglass, cut the same size as the dinette table, and hinged it to the table top at the back with two small holes drilled in the other end corners, making a nice protective top for the table. If we want to extend the table, we swing it around (It is on a pedestal only), flip out the plexi doubling the table size, slip two extendable poles into the holes to support the extention and viola. It leaves enough room at the bed end for two small folding stools to make seating for four. Works well, but I like this idea too.
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
Sid

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post
Sid,

Do you know if there is a maximum weight for a table if I use those particular table brackets and the center support? Thanks.

Linda
If you are asking about the extension arms I used then I would have to say they are quite robust. I wouldn't sit on the table but I really wouldn't have much concern about it holding up for my intended use. Since the table itself is solid wood I am also not concerned about the screws pulling out.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #16

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I like it Sid. I was just looking at my table a couple of days ago and thinking about an extension. Nice of this thread to popup now.

The one thing I don't like is the table is not all that stable. One good nudge with your leg and the single support slides out from under the table. Doesn't have anything to do with your mod, but something that may be a problem.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Sid

Wisconsin
Thanks Huck!
We haven't really run into the leg stability issue yet but now that you mention it I can see how that could happen. I think it would take a pretty good whack though....
Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #18

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
nice job
Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #19

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
You inspired me.

I bought some drawer slides thinking I could use them to hold up an extension. Didn't work, not stiff enough.

So I added a couple of supports under the table to connect the slides to and built a drawer. The biggest problem is the table leg limits the drawer to about 6" in depth. Still, with 16" slides it provided good support.

Table with Drawer

Drawer Extended

With 8" Extension

With 8" and 7" Extensions

Drawer with a Few Things In It

The one thing I would definitely change is the width of the drawer. I think it could be about 4" wider.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #20

New Jersey
Registry
Nice!