Ditched Seam Tape & Added LED lighting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 03 Tacoma pulling 83 Scamp 16
Colorado
Ditched Seam Tape & Added LED lighting

Making progress on my 83' Scamp-16 interior at least.

After trying to replace the yellowed tape with new I decide to go with caulk and matching paint instead of the uncooperative tape (doesn't stick very well). ...as I saw the paint match was not quite a dead match so will probably paint the entire elephant skin interior now. Maybe after the week's trip to NW.

Also ripped out all the lights including 110v lamps and put in under cabnet LED "warm" lights for kitchen area. Added a couple of LED reading lamps aimed at the table off the end the overhead cabinets. Made some hoods for the out of aluminum beer cans (yes of course I had to empty them first)

Also added a another "warm" LED flat ceiling light over the dinette by cutting away some E-skin and then slitting the skin to hide and run the 12 wiring to junction wiring in over head cabinet.

With all the lights on it's now about 1/8 the load wattage-wise of the original incandescent lamps Soo this means my battery will last much longer between charges ...also have a 30w folding panel with controller I plan to set up as needed. Don't plan to use shore power very often.

Some pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5TvKMp

Cheers, Steve
scampersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Is that a direction finding loop antenna? And is the QSK plate meaningful?

Outstanding job on the rehab
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

Colorado
I'm a ham radio operator my call is WG0AT ...Yes I have goats! Hah! the loop is an AlexLoop ...the lic plate is just luck. QSK means "can you send full break-in?" and yes I'm a CW or morse code fanatic. 73s ...Steve & Goats
Old 07-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
well then 73 de N4YTM
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #5

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
73s from V31JU

I was also a ham for quite awhile. Part of the Belize hurricane communications net. Now back in the U.S. after 25 years away I have not bothered to transfer my V31JU to a U.S. general ticket.

I guess with Scamping and all not much time left over for radio LOL
Old 07-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #6

Name: Deb
Trailer: 13 ft. Scamp
Colorado
Hey, Steve! Where are you in Colorado? I'm in Durango! I have an '84 and was wondering what kind of caulk you used and what type of paint you plan on? Thinking of doing the same.
Deb
Durangodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:06 AM   #7

Colorado
In Monument just north of Co Spgs ...Caulk is from HomeDepot - DAP Kwik Seal says it's for Kitchen Bath and waterproof also says it's an adhesive caulk?

pic: https://flic.kr/p/veR3y7

Steve/Monument CO
Old 07-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #8

Colorado
Sorry forgot the paint ...its Home Depot's brand ...they mixed up a sample-size batch $3.48? (I rolled it on with a tiny foam roller and pan they sell) to match a piece of the elephant skin I ripped up from under the dinette seat. Will probably go back for more to paint the entire interior! ...have fun!, Steve
Old 07-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #9

Name: Deb
Trailer: 13 ft. Scamp
Colorado
Thanks for the info!
Durangodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #10

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Steve,
I am trying very hard to resist the urge to remove the yellowed tape covering the seams of the elephant hide in my '84 Scamp. I've bought rugs and such with that golden yellow hue to coordinate the decor so I stop...myself...from...taking on...another... Scamp improvement project. We'll see how long I last.
I'm interested in where you go the 1/2" thick LED light. I'd love to install one like that over my dinette table.
Happy camping,
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Hi Steve you did a great job. The LED lights are terrific and give a nice warm glow. I e been concerned about getting LED's that were too harsh. I'm pretty light sensitive. Thanks for your post, Michael
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:04 AM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampersteve View Post
I'm a ham radio operator my call is WG0AT ...Yes I have goats! Hah! the loop is an AlexLoop ...the lic plate is just luck. QSK means "can you send full break-in?" and yes I'm a CW or morse code fanatic. 73s ...Steve & Goats
And 73 to you OM
KF7NDH
Attached Thumbnails
Th' Ole Man Hard at Work --) June 24, 2015.jpg  
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #13

Colorado
The 1/2" thick LED ceiling lamp is available on ebay ...search for LED RV lighting?

Here's pics of how I mounted LED ceiling lamp with 3M Dual Lock ...cut away elephant skin and mounted directly to fiberglass ceiling https://flic.kr/p/yrj43Q

Cheers, Steve

Tags
light, lighting