Do you tow with a Honda Odyssey? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2005, 08:22 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Robert wants me to engineer a base frame that will turn the chair into a rocker! Geez, talk about a challenge!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Of COURSE he does! What a great idea.

Good job on the van seat mod, very inventive!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Frederick,
Sounds like a trip to the Goodwill or Salvation Army for a couple of rockers with bad upholstery is in order. Salvaged parts should correct the situation just fine. What a neat Christmas present!
Your explanation was quite clear. Sienna owners take note!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:35 AM   #24

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Frederick - That's the metal stock rack all right, with plates and angles and boxes and threaded rods, but I didn't see any plain rod - I'll have to check again. Isn't it scary that stores in different cities - even different countries - are so alike that the layout of one can be used as instructions for the other?

Kurt - Frederick's explanation was quite clear - I just wanted to confirm that the rods were friction-fit. It can't be that Toyotas need more complex mechanical solutions - I know because I've worked on Hondas!

As for the rocker idea: why not just do the same thing again, but with wider wooden stock with a suitable curve cut on the bottom, and you have a traditional style of rocker. For the fancy mechanical rocker with a fixed base and salvaged rocking mechanism, there may not be enough room under the seat - but it couldn't hurt to try, and would work better in less-than-flat campsite conditions. I suppose engaging and disengaging the seats from rocking bases might be tough, but with the traditional design a couple of chocks would hold things steady.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #25

Registry
Unhappy

The base blocks are 2" x 2 3/4" stock and I drilled the holes in the longer side, 3/4" from one edge and 2" from the other edge. That 2" rise gives the chair the same rise off the ground as it has off the floor inside the van. I hope that explanation makes sense.

I was discussing this project last May at Cambria. Mr. LeBreaux (of Geezer Egg fame) suggested that I use a single leaf spring on each side as part of a rocker base. I bought a pair off eBay to attempt this; but could not figure out how to fasten the springs to the rods. (Spring steel being a poor candadate for welding.) I don't know if I can thread (tap) out the hole (normally used to mount an axle) for an eye bolt, would I be able to catch enough threads for it to hold? Is the spring thich enough? I'd have to grind the tip of the eye bolt flush with the bottom surface. Just where to make my mounting points for proper balance; so the chair doesn't flip over backwards. I observe that many rocker rails mount close to the front legs of the chair with a long "tail" extending beyond the back legs of the chair...

Thinking of all those considerations just made my head hurt... so I decided to make my first prototype a regular chair.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:58 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally posted by Frederick L. Simson@Nov 14 2005, 07:36 PM
...Just where to make my mounting points for proper balance; so the chair doesn't flip over backwards. I observe that many rocker rails mount close to the front legs of the chair with a long "tail" extending beyond the back legs of the chair... ...
The centre of the mass of the chair occupant is very close to the hips, meaning way back in the seat, so the centre of the rocker runners is approximately under that - thus the long "tails". That way, rocking is moving back and forth like an upside down pendulum, centred around a balance point. That's also why you can easily push back and balance on the rear legs of a normal chair, but not the front legs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:58 AM   #27

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Frederick... are you SURE you live in San Diego and not the Ozarks? "Why I ain't NEVER seen no better couch fer porch settin' before!"

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #28

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Here we go....
Wasn't there a post about a year ago where someone actually had a portable porch? I think there were even pictures, It may have been a factory made product. Yep, porches and rockers, folks walking by and stopping to "chew the fat". Iced tea, cold beer (or mint juleps, or wine) and a long summer's evening. Now we're talking about Momma having to follow us down the road towing another trailer to tote all this stuff.
C'mon, Help paint this word picture. Remember starting a story where each person in the group contributed their part?

Mike, if this idea "takes", I'm sure it'll have to be moved.

Frederick, it's a shame that third row can't be used for visitors but many FGRV folks are used to carrying there own chairs or stools as they walk. You've inspired a lot of thought, and possibly some other ingenious designs. If the rods loosen in the wood over time, you might add a longer third "rod" of all-thread with a nut on each side of the wood pieces.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #29

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Frederick, it's a shame that third row can't be used for visitors...
Kurt & Ann K.
Yes, It can! Thank you for reminding me about that! The 3rd row seat is reversable, and with the 2nd row seats outside, makes for a great tailgating set.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0477.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	6896
Attached Thumbnails
000_0478.jpg  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #30

Trailer: 1985 16 ft Casita
Quote:
Frederick... are you SURE you live in San Diego and not the Ozarks? "Why I ain't NEVER seen no better couch fer porch settin' before!"

Roger
These folks brought the porch along!

Click image for larger version

Name:	porch_camper.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	20630
Attached Thumbnails
porch_camper.jpg  
Douglas Knudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Hey thanks for bringing this topic to the top again, I'm towing with a 3rd generation (2005) Odyssey and although the rear seat is not reversible the 2nd row works the same. we like to take the 2nd row seats with us because its nice to have the seats for extra passengers when going out from the campground to sight see or to a restaurant.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #32

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
They even recline! The seat's forward/back adjustment is fully functional; ensuring that you won't tip over as you recline back!

Can you share a picture of these actually installed in the unit or were they just for the rig's patio?
mt5937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt5937 View Post
Can you share a picture of these actually installed in the unit or were they just for the rig's patio?
They're just for the patio.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0701s.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #34

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
Well it's certainly great duel use and the lap of luxury. I thought that you figured out how to put a captain's chair inside of a rig.
mt5937 is offline   Reply With Quote