Dog Leash Up/Anchor Point In Trailer While Camping/Sleeping: What do you do? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #15

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
BTW, Katrina is my CampyTime photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 10-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Dog Leash Up/Anchor Point In Trailer While Camping/Sleeping: What do you do?

I don't think there is any wood under the carpeted riser, just the metal frame. You can see the frame member easily by looking under the trailer behind the wheels. It serves as an attachment point for the lower center floor on one side and the raised dinette floor on the other. You'd be attaching the D-ring directly to the metal frame. Strong.

You should be able to drill right through the carpet and metal frame from the inside. A very small slit in the carpet and masking tape would prevent the drill bit from causing a run in the carpet. Clean up the holes & apply rustproofing from underneath. Then put the D-ring bolts through from the inside, and finish up from underneath. Use right-length bolts (stainless??). They shouldn't stick out past the end of the nuts. A little loctite on the threads would be a good idea. Finish with a dab or squirt of undercoating.

Personally I would not attach it to the FG bench. A large dog could conceivably rip the whole bench loose.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #17

New York
Registry
Now I understand what you mean Jon because I slid under the trailer this afternoon.

I have a DeWalt cordless drill and pilot point drill bits I bought. Do I need a special bit for this? Last few questions...is it ok to put stainless bolt through the zinc d ring right? Don't think they make d rings in SS? Rubber coating you mention. Spray that right over nut and bolt underneath? Can I get that in a spray can? Wally World or auto supply shop? Does Rustoleum make it?

Finally I would imagine after drilling I should spray paint the hole with rustproofing paint no? This is a fabulous idea and I love it.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
If you mount a cargo tie down ring like I linked to earlier, you don't need to remove any carpet. Mark one hole on the carpet, drill it, place a bolt through the mounting hole and the wood. Then using the tie down ring for a guide, drill the other hole and install the other bolt. No need to remove any carpet, the hardware will pull the ring down tight. Have one of your kids climb under the trailer with a wrench to install the nuts. When you buy the hardware, buy bolts with rounded heads to keep from scraping your ankles moving around in the trailer. The whole job could be done in less time than it took me to type this.

Tom
Old 10-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Dog Leash Up/Anchor Point In Trailer While Camping/Sleeping: What do you do?

I think a regular bit should work, as long as it's not too worn. The metal doesn't look very thick. Definite yes on rustproofing the holes. Not sure if stainless/zinc is a problem. Undercoating is available as a spray or liquid from Walmart or an auto supply store. Liquid would be better, but may only come in large sizes. Make sure the area is clean & dry- don't want to trap gunk or moisture under the sealer.

Now that you've seen it, this will make more sense. I would put the ring near the bottom of the riser, so when the dog pulls on it, the frame will compress against the lower floor. Near the top it would tend to pull the frame away from the dinette floor. Not good. Near the ends would also be stronger than in the middle, like near the kitchen cabinets. Maybe I'm over engineering this, but I have a 14 month, 45 pound mutt, and I know what happens when someone shouts "Squirrel!" Good luck!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #20

Name: Cedar
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
I would modify the "den" under the bed with a baby gate or install a crate-type door.

Good luck Wendy!
Old 10-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #21

New York
Registry
Dear Tom, Jon and Cedar,

Boy you people really think! I've got three good ideas now and even the baby gate might work. Squirrel is definitely the operative word in her varmint vocab!

Tom if I so your mod should I also put a washer under the trailer where the bolt comes through for laid spread? I wondered earlier if they make either if these types if tie downs in SS, I'll have to check. Tom for your mod should I would imagine rubber undercoating is a good idea too and like Jon said keep the bolt length no longer than what can be tightened up with the nut?

I know what loctite is but would any of you suggest using a nylox type nut?

Lots of ideas and all within my skill set. I am honored thank you.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #22

New York
Registry
One other question...still deciding which route to go but if I do the cargo tie down assuming the OSB floor is a half inch thick, then through carpet which will squeeze down, would you suggest a 3/4 or 1" bolt? I guess the diameter will depend on the hole for cargo ring, but I would think a #8 or 10?

Old 10-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #23

Michigan
There are a couple of good suggestions for you here Wendy. My solution would require 1 of the tie down rings I linked to, 2 bolts (1/4" X 20), 2 ea. 1/4" X 20 large area (fender) washers, and 2 ea. 1/4" X 20 lock nuts (metal or fibre) If you can get them in stainless, all the better, but really not that important. Just paint them after your installation if you don't use S/S hardware. It's a no brainer.

I'm not sure if the floor is half inch or three quarter inch OSB. It doesn't matter. Just get the bolts in a length to go thru the ring mount and the floor and washer. I would think 1.25" to 1.5" should be plenty long. I wouldn't cut them to length. They shouldn't be in the way of anything if you pick your location with care. Do not worry about mixing S/S and galvanized hardware either. No problems wit dissimilar metal corrosion with S/S. You only have to worry about that if you mix aluminum and galvanized hdwe.

When you drill your first hole, use a smaller bit (pilot drill) and look under your trailer to verify it's location. Avoid plumbing, electrical wires, gray water tank, etc. It is a really simple job Wendy. Don't over think it. You can do this in a New York minute. hehe.I think the floor is plenty strong, especially for a shear load like a dog trying to get hold of a squirrel.

One caution when drilling thru carpet. Make a small cut in the carpet so the drill doesn't wind up the fabric on the bit. Go slow at first, and be ready to stop if that happens. I promise you; when you're done, you'll wonder what you were worried about. Good luck!!

Tom
Old 10-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #24

New York
Registry
What a cute post Tom. I enjoy reading your writing it must be how you talk. I looked all night online at homey D and Lowes no SS. My problem now is it has to get done this weekend or week if I want all ready to go. Camper us going away in beautiful storage.

Speaking of squirrels, I have a huge tractor tire by a tree that my dog perches up on to view her kingdom. It's got dirt in the wheel hole as I plant flowers there.

Came out today to find her digging and kicking back dirt at a fever pitch. Snuffling and snorting and sniffing at the edge under the rim.

One too many digs and snorts and whoosh! Out ran the chipmunk that she had "treed" under the rim! She went ballistic I thought she would have a coronary.

She's originally from Kentucky and we were told she's the Curr breed which is short for southern mutt but highly adept at treeing squirrels. Do funny I laughed do hard. Poor thing though how frustrating to not catch her hard work!

So grateful,
Wendy

Old 10-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #25

New York
Registry
Camper is going away on 18th. So funny laughed so hard. I'm sorry I didn't preview post. My apologies Tom and moderator.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #26

Michigan
I feel your pain Wendy! We took our camper to a U-haul storage lot for storage this winter. It's too tall to fit in the garage. It's only been away for 30 hours now, and we miss it bad. I'll visit it every other day or so to knock the snow off until we bust her out of the storage jail for a trip to FL in Feb. When we hooked it up to tow away, the dogs just looked from the window in disbelief. I'm sure they thought we were going camping without them! Were they relieved when we came home in an hour!! Here's a couple pics. One is how we want to remember her in happy times, and the other is how sad she looks while incarcerated at U-haul.

I get a kick out of your posts too Wendy. I like your self-depricating sense of humor. Keep them coming.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00418.jpg   IMG_0755.jpg  

Old 10-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #27

New York
Registry
Here's my daughter passed out from too much campy time with mommy and here's my dumb mutt.

I am indeed self deprecating as give me a NY minute and I could screw up anything.

The only thing I know is that I know nothing. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413076423.143857.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	77483Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413076475.680767.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	77484

Old 10-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #28

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
Hi Wendy

Sounds like you need something like a screen door...
I believe that you are onto something... just apply a pet proof screen/protector to your Scamp's screen door, that way you stay cool and the dog roams free but confined to the trailer.
Dave & Paula