Dog Leash Up/Anchor Point In Trailer While Camping/Sleeping: What do you do? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #21

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Dear Tom, Jon and Cedar,

Boy you people really think! I've got three good ideas now and even the baby gate might work. Squirrel is definitely the operative word in her varmint vocab!

Tom if I so your mod should I also put a washer under the trailer where the bolt comes through for laid spread? I wondered earlier if they make either if these types if tie downs in SS, I'll have to check. Tom for your mod should I would imagine rubber undercoating is a good idea too and like Jon said keep the bolt length no longer than what can be tightened up with the nut?

I know what loctite is but would any of you suggest using a nylox type nut?

Lots of ideas and all within my skill set. I am honored thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #22

New York
Registry
One other question...still deciding which route to go but if I do the cargo tie down assuming the OSB floor is a half inch thick, then through carpet which will squeeze down, would you suggest a 3/4 or 1" bolt? I guess the diameter will depend on the hole for cargo ring, but I would think a #8 or 10?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
There are a couple of good suggestions for you here Wendy. My solution would require 1 of the tie down rings I linked to, 2 bolts (1/4" X 20), 2 ea. 1/4" X 20 large area (fender) washers, and 2 ea. 1/4" X 20 lock nuts (metal or fibre) If you can get them in stainless, all the better, but really not that important. Just paint them after your installation if you don't use S/S hardware. It's a no brainer.

I'm not sure if the floor is half inch or three quarter inch OSB. It doesn't matter. Just get the bolts in a length to go thru the ring mount and the floor and washer. I would think 1.25" to 1.5" should be plenty long. I wouldn't cut them to length. They shouldn't be in the way of anything if you pick your location with care. Do not worry about mixing S/S and galvanized hardware either. No problems wit dissimilar metal corrosion with S/S. You only have to worry about that if you mix aluminum and galvanized hdwe.

When you drill your first hole, use a smaller bit (pilot drill) and look under your trailer to verify it's location. Avoid plumbing, electrical wires, gray water tank, etc. It is a really simple job Wendy. Don't over think it. You can do this in a New York minute. hehe.I think the floor is plenty strong, especially for a shear load like a dog trying to get hold of a squirrel.

One caution when drilling thru carpet. Make a small cut in the carpet so the drill doesn't wind up the fabric on the bit. Go slow at first, and be ready to stop if that happens. I promise you; when you're done, you'll wonder what you were worried about. Good luck!!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #24

New York
Registry
What a cute post Tom. I enjoy reading your writing it must be how you talk. I looked all night online at homey D and Lowes no SS. My problem now is it has to get done this weekend or week if I want all ready to go. Camper us going away in beautiful storage.

Speaking of squirrels, I have a huge tractor tire by a tree that my dog perches up on to view her kingdom. It's got dirt in the wheel hole as I plant flowers there.

Came out today to find her digging and kicking back dirt at a fever pitch. Snuffling and snorting and sniffing at the edge under the rim.

One too many digs and snorts and whoosh! Out ran the chipmunk that she had "treed" under the rim! She went ballistic I thought she would have a coronary.

She's originally from Kentucky and we were told she's the Curr breed which is short for southern mutt but highly adept at treeing squirrels. Do funny I laughed do hard. Poor thing though how frustrating to not catch her hard work!

So grateful,
Wendy

Old 10-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #25

New York
Registry
Camper is going away on 18th. So funny laughed so hard. I'm sorry I didn't preview post. My apologies Tom and moderator.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I feel your pain Wendy! We took our camper to a U-haul storage lot for storage this winter. It's too tall to fit in the garage. It's only been away for 30 hours now, and we miss it bad. I'll visit it every other day or so to knock the snow off until we bust her out of the storage jail for a trip to FL in Feb. When we hooked it up to tow away, the dogs just looked from the window in disbelief. I'm sure they thought we were going camping without them! Were they relieved when we came home in an hour!! Here's a couple pics. One is how we want to remember her in happy times, and the other is how sad she looks while incarcerated at U-haul.

I get a kick out of your posts too Wendy. I like your self-depricating sense of humor. Keep them coming.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00418.jpg   IMG_0755.jpg  

TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #27

New York
Registry
Here's my daughter passed out from too much campy time with mommy and here's my dumb mutt.

I am indeed self deprecating as give me a NY minute and I could screw up anything.

The only thing I know is that I know nothing. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413076423.143857.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	77483Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413076475.680767.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	77484

Old 10-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
Hi Wendy

Sounds like you need something like a screen door...
I believe that you are onto something... just apply a pet proof screen/protector to your Scamp's screen door, that way you stay cool and the dog roams free but confined to the trailer.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Came out today to find her digging and kicking back dirt at a fever pitch. Snuffling and snorting and sniffing at the edge under the rim.

One too many digs and snorts and whoosh! Out ran the chipmunk that she had "treed" under the rim! She went ballistic I thought she would have a coronary.

LOL you have to love the antics! My last dog actually caught a squirrel one day! Don't know if he was more surprised by that or I was. He was a fairly stocky lab so not to fast a runner & had been chasing squirrels for years with no luck. This squirrel made the mistake of going down a hole that wasn't very deep. I will never forget the look on his face when he came up with the squirrel in his mouth! The squirrels tail was whacking him across the face and it was chirping away and using its front legs to scratch the other side of his face. He had a what the heck do I do now? look on his face. he was trained at field work so he had what we call a soft mouth (wouldn't bite down on birds he retrieved) so I don't think he was actually hurting it. I told him to drop it & he did and it took off fast with him in hot pursuit again!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:22 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Pet restraint

Some of the things that I find while out beachcombing are old, beaten up lobster pots/traps. Some are made of square wire mesh, coated with what seems to be a [soft] plastic. I have re-cycled pieces of these to a variety of uses including camper fridge shelves & furnace guards to keep the dog's coat away from the grill. Similar grills are available commercially.
A heavier grill-type mesh, screwed on to your screen door would allow for air flow but keep the dog from punching through the screen.
Just a thought.....
Scouter Dave
Old 10-12-2014, 06:46 AM   #31

New York
Registry
Hi All,
Carol I love your story about your lab. I think if Katrina caught a squirrel ever she would react in a similar way. "OK, uh, now I've got him, what do I do now?" Ha Ha! The closest she's ever got was one time she bolted out the door before I had a chance to hook her up to the running lead I have, and immediately began hot pursuit on the end of a rabbit's tail. I think her nose got close enough to sniff the posterior end, but alas, those bunnies are indeed swift!
I have been thinking all night (do you smell wood burning?) I really like the idea of the D ring/cargo utility anchors and have been postulating how one of those screen door protectors might work in my situation. Here's some things I know about my dog when she sees a varmint:
1. She barks non-stop, whines, paces and otherwise makes a nuisance of herself
2. She jumps up on whatever surface she sees the squirrel through and she is big when outstretched and her nails are sharp, despite trimming them.

So...when considering the screen door protector, anything like a baby gate on rubber tension/compression ends wouldn't work because she would jump up and push the little rubber ends away from the surface and that would be the end of it. IF she were to jump up full height, a baby gate would be too short and her nails would still do damage to the screen door.

I was just thinking about the mounting/screwing on of something to protect the door as Scouter Dave said, but then...how would you open/close the screen door? As we know, it is a bi-fold door that folds in upon itself. Can anybody think of some type of temporary anchoring/joining system whereby in the morning, it could be removed? OR...something that would be thin enough, come in two panels (the two, bi-fold screens are separated by an aluminium stile) that would allow the screen door to close all the time with the protection in place?

It would be great if the dog could be free at night, but the D ring/anchor on a decent length of leash is also not a cruel treatment. So long as she could do her "turn around, scratchy, nesty, turn around, find a good spot, settle down" routine.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Dog Leash Up/Anchor Point In Trailer While Camping/Sleeping: What do you do?

I thought about doing something to the screen door, too. I was thinking of the perforated aluminum sheets that people used to put on their screen doors at home for the same reason. However, I don't think the folding screen frame itself in Scamp's design is strong enough to withstand a larger dog, say, putting its paws against it. If you made something that spanned the full width of the door and attached it somehow to the wooden frame around the screen door, it might work. Plastic-coated hardware cloth would be just the thing for it, too. Didn't know there was such a thing. You'd have to remove it to open the screen door, and store it somewhere during the day...

Still think the riser is the best place for a D-ring. You'd never step on it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:56 AM   #33

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
If you also put your dog on a shorter lead (3ft) while hooked up for the night near the back dinette bed, she won't be able to get as much momentum going to pull out the D-ring either. She can also reach to crawl under the bed if she wants to. This would gives her as much room to move as if she was in a crate.
With the shorter lead, if you decide to sleep with the door open, she cant get near the screen door either to damage it.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Dogs learn very quickly where the end of their tether is! You could even put a spring between the leash and the D-ring to act as a shock absorber.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #35

New York
Registry
Thank you Pam and Jon. Jon, I've been searching Home Depot for things to occlude the door, such as a baby gate idea. Read on other RV forums of people using plexi glass that they use industrial velcro with to adhese to the door wood frame, as you mentioned earlier. I think the D ring makes most sense and yes...one a perfect length tether to allow her to move around, but short enough that she can't reach the door...maybe just come into the dropped, kitchen galley area, and then back in under the dinette bed if she chooses.

Jon...the spring? If you get any time today, might you do a google search to show me what you are thinking? I'm going to head out today to look at SS hardware for the D ring. Weather is cool but beautiful and perfect day to work.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #36

New York
Registry
I think that the D ring has to be placed on the rear, wood floor. Here's why: on the riser, although very strong, she couldn't be on almost any length of leash, as she'd be able to reach that screen door in no time. By placing D ring/cargo anchor on wood floor at back of dinette bed area, she could crawl in and out of there for a bed, and have just enough leash to let her sleep in kitchen galley area, without being able to reach the screen door. These are my thoughts, knowing the space in the trailer is short/small. She'd have to be leashed so short if I hook up to the dinette riser that it would defeat the purpose of allowing her a bit of freedom, while securing her from reaching that door area.

I do like the spring idea very much...the shock absorbing effect of it might protect her from the dreaded YANK on her collar when seeing critters.

Let me just say this: Anybody who owns a molded towable would be at a loss without this site. I wish I could write everything I've learned here in one sitting, but it would take days. I actually think I'm becoming smarter about a few things, and that's saying quite a bit for me
Old 10-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #37

New York
Registry
Also if D ring is far enough back in dinette floor probably won't pose too much of a problem for stepping on especially since bed is down most of the time.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #38

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I used Velcro to attach two sheets of plexiglass to the bottom of each bi-fold screen door. The door then operates as intended, no need to store the plexiglass, but they can be easily removed to clean. My almost-100-pound squirrel-chaser never touched it. Seems he knows he can see through windows but cannot physically get through. He is not a jumper though.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #39

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
When we first took our Chow/Shepherd mix out we were concerned about the screen door, too.

Craig bought a baby gate and extended it almost full length and braced it against the wood frame of the screen door. This way it went from top to bottom with no way for her to jump over it.

He had considered some kind of fasteners...like wing nuts, I think...to keep her from popping it out, but the gate itself looked enough boundary to her that it turned out not to be necessary.

Mayhap that would work for your pooch as well and you'd not have to worry about breakage of the FG itself.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #40

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Slight correction: he does press his nose to the plexiglass, leaving a fair amount of nose slobber there! :-)
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote